Thread: Not ridden in 15 yrs....thoughts on bike size

Not ridden in 15 yrs....thoughts on bike size

So back in the mid 90's I had a Yamaha Virago 750. I rode it for about 5 yrs, not daily, but found it cramped after 30 mins of riding. I've been without a motorcycle for about 15 yrs but am thinking about getting another. I have looked at the HD Dyna convertible & Heritage softail, but I'm beginning to think perhaps they are too large/heavy for me as a returning rider. So I'm looking at Boulevard C50T, the Vstar 950 tourer & Vulcan 900 LT. All of these are about 100lbs lighter than the HD, significantly less expensive (I'm looking at used 2009-2010 era). Are the three listed above pretty easy to handle for a returning rider? They all seem to get great reviews as middleweights. I haven't ridden any of them yet, not really much demo options around here. I want to be safe so don't want something cumbersome and heavy to handle, but I need something that can handle 2 up without much problem. I'm 5'11" 190lb, wife is 125lb. Rides will be recreational 1-3 hr rides/ half day trips and perhaps the occasional commute to work. Do the middleweights seem to fit my purpose or is there something else I should be considering? Also I'm surprised at how few riders use the headlight modulator, it seems to really make the motorcyclist more visible....is there a reason so few use it?

I just realized this is probably in the wrong forum, but it already posted & I don't know how to relocate it.
    Last edited by vertbird; 03-29-2017 at 07:17 AM.

RiderCoach 1000 Posts! lionlady's Avatar
    You could always buy something smallish and ugly to get your riding trim back, then go shopping for your "real" next bike. Cheaper to insure while you own it, and fewer tears shed if you drop it. Something that would pass a basic safety inspection with no serious long term concerns...

Another option would be to take the returning rider's MSF course - used to be called the BRC 2 or the ERC - cannot remember what they're called now.
    If you are always trying to be normal, you'll never know how amazing you can be. -Maya Angelou

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vertbird View Post
    I have looked at the HD Dyna convertible & Heritage softail, but I'm beginning to think perhaps they are too large/heavy for me as a returning rider. So I'm looking at Boulevard C50T, the Vstar 950 tourer & Vulcan 900 LT. All of these are about 100lbs lighter than the HD,
    I just have to say it: at half the displacement those bikes are only 100# lighter. It really doesn't make much of an argument for said "lighter" bikes...

I would suggest something from the 90s when middle-weights truly were middle-weights instead of the sub-liter behemoths of today. Something like the 800 Vulcans, 800 Intruder & Marauder, chain driven 750 Shadows, or even the 1400 Intruder ( <GASP!> I know, it's really hard to swallow the fact that a 1400cc bike could only weigh 578 pounds wet by today's standards).

Also noteworthy, the bikes back then actually looked good compared to today's neo-retro and manga/anime machines, not to mention they came with lots of this really neat stuff called "chrome".

Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com