Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for my next track day

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar

Getting ready for my next track day

I have signed up for my next track day, coming up April 7. Now it's time to get the Ninjette ready. Still to do:

Replace front sprocket - I'm going up one tooth size
    Install rear sets - includes replacing the brake light wire
    Install frame sliders
    Replace tires - going with Dunlop Sportmax Alpha 13s

That's all I really am focusing on accomplishing for now, but am interested in suggestions on what to do otherwise. The obvious steps would be exhaust and suspension, both fairly expensive mods.

I don't like how the clutch lever feels, never liked that feel on the 250s. Not smooth or refined at all. I will probably replace the levers but I don't expect that to fix it.

Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome!
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    I don't know what type of internals your forks use. If they have conventional damper rods, an easy route to improved damping is to add Race Tech's Gold Valves. Gold valves allow you to separate compression and rebound damping by giving you an (internal) adjustment for compression. Overall, Gold Valves are a very inexpensive upgrade. Also, the valves are also usually a very easy install. Even Norty could figure it out.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No need to do anything more, just make sure the tires are scrubbed in and it's reliable enough for a full track weekend. A given is that you've changed the oil from original and inspected the brake fluid and pads?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    No need to do anything more, just make sure the tires are scrubbed in and it's reliable enough for a full track weekend. A given is that you've changed the oil from original and inspected the brake fluid and pads?
    All the fluids look good, brake pads look new. As for scrubbing the tires, I know someone who had new tires (same ones I'm looking at) put on the morning of her track day and he told her to just be careful the first couple laps of the first session but she should be good from the sighting laps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Teri
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    I don't know what type of internals your forks use. If they have conventional damper rods, an easy route to improved damping is to add Race Tech's Gold Valves. Gold valves allow you to separate compression and rebound damping by giving you an (internal) adjustment for compression. Overall, Gold Valves are a very inexpensive upgrade. Also, the valves are also usually a very easy install. Even Norty could figure it out.

Ok I will look into these once I am at a keyboard and can do my Ninja google-fu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Teri
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Yes, tires are good to go within three laps. Tire pressures are generally about 10% lower than street in the front and about 15% lower for the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    I find it best to be "incapable" rather than having honey-doos every weekend!
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Sage advice. Wish I thought of that years ago!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Teri have fun. I didn't do any track days last year and I will remedy that this year. I was planning to use my old SV650s but youngest son is trying to reclaim it since his brother bought a k1200 ... dang kids...

Thinking of getting an R3 for granddaughter and breaking it in for her w/ a few trackdays ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Suzie
    '13 KLX 110L - "Kermit"
    '04 NSR 50
    GWA Member