Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Getting ready for my next track day

Honestly it's not very "daring". I have a friend that never broke 70 his first couple of times out ... he just stayed off the fast line on the straights and he was fine.

I usually suggest CA Superbike for 1st timers because they are so used to introducing 1st timers to the track. And most folks attending are looking to improve their street riding, not become amateur racers ... If you listen in the classes and pay attention to the instructors you will be fine ... and learn a lot.

I will never forget a 60 something grandmother/retired school teacher in level 1. She had just finished the BRC and bought a SV650 6-7 months before. I saw her the 1st session out and thought "Oh dear God ... she is going to be a barely moving obstacle all day long." Boy was I wrong. She listened and she applied. And by the end of day 2 mebbe she wasn't the fastest ... but she was the most improved.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal LabRat View Post
    I did! I found that this time I had more confidence in the corners, really started trusting the tires and my ability more. As Mike says, there is so much to do when learning it is very easy to overload your brain, so I found myself at times just riding without thinking so hard and giving myself a break.

The track was very crowded this weekend and the only time I really noticed it was setting up to the corners. As you can imagine, most everyone was passing me on the straights and then we were all bunched up in the corners. I was faster in the corners than probably a fourth of the folks in my level, and I ended up behind a bunch of novices who were all over the place. I was completely fine being behind them although all I could really work on at those times were my lines. So I did.

It paid off in my last session when many of the novices were finished with either the track school or just done for the day. I was able then to pay attention to the faster riders in the corners and I stayed up with them still within my comfort level but knowing I was pushing it, especially considering I knew I was getting fatigued. I felt like my session time was probably my slowest because it didn't feel to me like I performed especially well. I was actually shocked to see I had my four best lap times, with my last lap 9 seconds faster than my previous fastest lap.

So I'm making progress, learning and learning and more importantly having a blast doing it.

Oh, and I passed a Ducati 1199 between Turns 4 and 5...which tells me that rider was riding within her comfort zone as well. And there were 3 other small displacement bikes out there. A guy on the RC390 was (thankfully) slow in the corners but I could not get around him as he always punched it once he exited, a small guy on an R3 and a small lady on a Ninjette. They were smoking that track, I think her best time was about 10 seconds faster than mine. I could learn a lot from riding behind those two. I blame the heavy stock exhaust I'm lugging...yeah, that's the ticket!
    I love your humility and your wisdom! You're gonna go far (fast) lady!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    I will never forget a 60 something grandmother/retired school teacher in level 1. She had just finished the BRC and bought a SV650 6-7 months before. I saw her the 1st session out and thought "Oh dear God ... she is going to be a barely moving obstacle all day long." Boy was I wrong. She listened and she applied. And by the end of day 2 mebbe she wasn't the fastest ... but she was the most improved.
    That's a lady with guts I tell ya!

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
    What kind of speeds are we talking in these track days?
    That all depends on the track's layout. Large radius curves leading to long straights will yeild high top speeds. Shorter straights and tighter curves, opposite. At the track where I ride the most, there are a few spots where I can pass 100 mph on my R6, the track also has some sub-30 mph turns. At a track that is about four hours away, a bit above 140 is possible on the track's single long straight. Turns from 30 to 50 mph for the rest of the track. There's a track in Tucson that is so tight that a most riders never get past second gear, then there's the Daytona speedway in Florida where you can travel more than two miles, in top gear, with the throttle wide open.

So generally, the answer is "As fast as you'd care to go."

Since it's going to be "warming up" at the track, we're going to ride the track in the fall.
    This means we convert the bike back to street duty. Here's the operator, doing tires & exhaust...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post

What kind of speeds are we talking in these track days?
    They certainly vary with respect to motorcycle & rider ability.
    The track Teri rides is the full AMA roadcourse at ACS in Fontana, Ca.
    2.3 mile 21 turn (17 left, 4 right).
    She's midpack in level 1.
    This is the novice class, that also has the track school students.
    There's also Level II, that is faster, and
    Level III that is quite quick.
    Next level is club racing (WERA) here in the West.
    Next level is AMA, and they're crazy fast.
    Posting up lap times for a circuit one isn't intimately familiar with is meaningless.
    All I can say is "Go visit a trackday event" and observe. Take pics if you want, talk to riders in the pits. DO NOT APPROACH RIDERS ON THE PADDOCK OR HOT PIT AREA!!! This may split their concentrationas they are mentally "getting ready."

In fact, never talk to a rider/driver when their helmet is on. Unless they're on fire, of course. Then, you get a pass. This rule applies to all tracks, worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Since it's going to be "warming up" at the track, we're going to ride the track in the fall.
    This means we convert the bike back to street duty. Here's the operator, doing tires & exhaust...
    LOVE THIS! (Yeah, I'm keeping it...hanging it in the BBO bar...)

While at the track, this was there...

Size 205...

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    While at the track, this was there...

Size 205...
    That must really lean into those turns well!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

These do much better...

These have 2 trackdays on them. (Actually, more like 1.5)
    The Labrat's tires...