Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CB500F and the like

So we had a dry couple of days this weekend and I got the old KX250 out and zipped down our gravel road for a few miles with my son who was on his CR85r and followed him up and around the woods. It made me realize that I’m probably a little better rider than I was giving myself credit for. For those not familiar with the KX250 it’s a two stroke that really gets on it. It’s roughly 60 HP when in the peak of power band. I know skills are much different but riding through tight woods trails and even without trails I noticed that my low speed balance is pretty decent as is my throttle control even over some pretty knarly ground.
    I think I’m going to focus my search on the Versys 650 at this point. I will always have to travel down mile of gravel to get to the highway to go anywhere. I think the motor is pretty bullet proof and has a good amount of power for the highway but can handle the gravel and rough back roads when called on to do so. It’s also a grownup bike without slipping into the old timer category. I’m not ready to admit that I’m an “old-timer” yet even though my kids may see it differently

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RNDROB View Post
    .... Its also a grownup bike without slipping into the old timer category. Im not ready to admit that Im an old-timer yet even though my kids may see it differently
    what's an "old timer" bike, you mean a Gold Wing, a three wheeler or one of those things the old folks ride around in the mall ?

Ha ha I purposely tried not to get too specific. Don’t need to specifically offend anyone. Whatever you have... i didn't mean that

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    So we had a dry couple of days this weekend and I got the old KX250 out and zipped down our gravel road for a few miles with my son who was on his CR85r and followed him up and around the woods. It made me realize that I’m probably a little better rider than I was giving myself credit for. For those not familiar with the KX250 it’s a two stroke that really gets on it. It’s roughly 60 HP when in the peak of power band. I know skills are much different but riding through tight woods trails and even without trails I noticed that my low speed balance is pretty decent as is my throttle control even over some pretty knarly ground.
    I think I’m going to focus my search on the Versys 650 at this point. I will always have to travel down mile of gravel to get to the highway to go anywhere. I think the motor is pretty bullet proof and has a good amount of power for the highway but can handle the gravel and rough back roads when called on to do so. It’s also a grownup bike without slipping into the old timer category. I’m not ready to admit that I’m an “old-timer” yet even though my kids may see it differently
    You sound like you have much higher skill level than I do and even more than I had when I got my Versys. I suspect you will enjoy it very much. It is a great bike and consistently does well in comparison test with other bikes in a similar category. If you are going to do much dirt road with it, you could check out the V-Strom 650 as well. I have never ridden one, but reviewers describe as a bit better on dirt roads but a bit less lively on pavement. Although perhaps it might be a bit of an "old-timer" bike.

I have thought I would like the V-Strom a bit better than the Versys. I am not that much older than you, but I ride much more like an old-timer than it sounds like you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    You sound like you have much higher skill level than I do and even more than I had when I got my Versys. I suspect you will enjoy it very much. It is a great bike and consistently does well in comparison test with other bikes in a similar category. If you are going to do much dirt road with it, you could check out the V-Strom 650 as well. I have never ridden one, but reviewers describe as a bit better on dirt roads but a bit less lively on pavement. Although perhaps it might be a bit of an "old-timer" bike.

I have thought I would like the V-Strom a bit better than the Versys. I am not that much older than you, but I ride much more like an old-timer than it sounds like you do.
    Thanks for the feedback Sorg. Im going to keep my dirtbike and my gravel road is only a mile to the highway. I really am more focused on a bike for on road. I think this is the bike for me but time will tell.
    It is not an easy decision though. So many bikes!

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    Leave it to me to go a bit off topic but it appears the OP is gone and I love talking motorcycles so....I rode the new Triumph Street Triple this weekend and although I'm really familiar with Street Triples it hit me harder this time on not only how much I love this bike but more to the point of just how brilliant the entire Triumph line has become. The Triple is just such a velvet hammer. Honestly it's Japanese smooth, is as agile as any bike I know of, dives in without effort (at least as well as the BMW, maybe better) fast enough to get in trouble in a hurry if not careful and makes a whiz-growl noise that's pretty intoxicating. It's one of those bikes that baits me into pushing it. On another note a co-worker of mine bought a Steet Twin as his first motorcycle and although I haven't taken it for a spin it looks great, very low to the ground and has the feel of a high quality machine.

Thumbs up for just how solid the Triumph line of motorcycles are these days!

I'm waiting for the new Ducati SuperSport to be released and then I suspect the replacement for my dearly departed BMW will either be the Street Triple or the SuperSport.
    I am sorely tempted by Street Triple, but then I get even more tempted by the Tiger, and then I just get back to my Street Twin and enjoy the hell out of it Maybe I do need Tiger as the second bike...

Don't answer that, any of you, you bunch of enablers!
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    If this is the direction you're going, check out BMW singles and twins in their GS lineup.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    If this is the direction you're going, check out BMW singles and twins in their GS lineup.
    I will. I made some assumptions (we all know what that means) they they would be more expensive and more expensive to maintain... Before i do too much digging what are your thoughts? I'm already a bit over budget....

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback Sorg. I’m going to keep my dirtbike and my gravel road is only a mile to the highway. I really am more focused on a bike for on road. I think this is the bike for me but time will tell.
    It is not an easy decision though. So many bikes!
    The nice thing about the Versys is that they are plentiful. You could probably buy on, ride it for a year and sell it for not much less than you paid for it if you take care of it.

It is commonly said on this site that your first bike is not you last bike. In this case, it is not your first bike, but it is probably not your last.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    what's an "old timer" bike, you mean a Gold Wing, a three wheeler or one of those things the old folks ride around in the mall ?