Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CB500F and the like

CB500F and the like

Iím 50 in good condition 5í10Ē & 200 Lbs.
    I live about 15 miles from work, almost all of which is highway and want to get my first street bike. I have had a kx250 that Iíve been riding for the last couple of years but no experience on pavement.
    I went to a local dealer and kind of liked the CB500F as you set upright similar to a dirt bike. Seems like it would have reasonable power but not over the top. Iím def not looking for a sport bike.
    Problem is that the bike seems to not be available used. Iím for sure not buying my first bike new. Can I get some recommendations for similar bikes that I might find used?

Thank much!

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    I'd be inclined to convince you to buy a previous year model CB500F or CBR500R, Honda has some great discount deals on old inventory right about now and the CB500 series is a very nice bike for the money (2016 CB500F models are discounted by 800$ canadian off list right now, CBR500R is discounted by $1000). Advantage of a new bike besides having a warranty is that you know how it should be for as long as you own it and can keep it nice and keep it serviced, when buying a used bike you are dealing with an unknown. If you buy a bike that is ~4 years old the rubber on tires is probably going hard and the battery is on it's way out. I bet if you did find a lightly used one they would be asking very close to full list price for it.

Thanks for the reply… Yes the price wasn’t bad $5,500 out the door but I wouldn’t expect to be on it more than a year and have learned that starting into something new one tends to make some mistakes. Additionally, I’m pretty certain that over time I am going to want something different. Buying new you always have to expect that selling something used that you bought off of the lot you will take a financial bath on.
    I’m not completely against a cruiser like a Shadow or s40 that are readily available at about half the price. Some that look to be in really good shape with new tires and battery.
    Just wondering if there is something else I’m missing

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I have the CB500X. It is a great bike. I am 57. The X is even more upright than the F and a little taller.

I bought a 2014 with only 100 miles on it in early 2016 for $4,000 on craigslist.

My son is riding it at school and likes it very much.

There were a few of them around Central Florida for a while, but I have not seen many lately. I am a regular Craigslist browser.

I have noticed that these things come and go. If you are patient, you may find something.

Personally I've never regretted buying a new anything, but I tend to keep my stuff for a long time and do almost all of my own servicing ymmv.

Standards are the easiest motorcycles to resell, as you say, used cruisers are plentiful and inexpensive used. Standards have tire sizes that have a far better selection of tires including high end performance tires, vintage bikes and cruisers not so much. But that might not be of considerable concern if you are inclined to buy inexpensive tires, I tend to spend a lot on tires for all of my vehicles. Not sure where you live but if you lived in Ontario where we pay stupid prices for minimal insurance coverage I would highly recommend you price out insurance for anything you are considering buying. $5,500 is that US dollars and does that represent the Honda promotional spring pricing on a 2016 model? US currency is extremely high in the international marketplace right now, your dollar is worth $1.33 in our money right now and I can buy a new 2016 for $5999 :/ then I need to come up with another 13% HST tax that you are not subject to. 5999CDN works out to just over 4500$ (I think your dealer might be making good money)

Quote Originally Posted by RNDROB View Post
    ... I wouldn’t expect to be on it more than a year ...
    ... I'm almost afraid to ask.

This looks interesting as well... for the same price

http://www.motosporthillsboro.com/de...=xNewInventory

Thoughts....

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I test rode the NC700X and found it very dull. But also very mellow and very easy to ride. So depends what you are looking for. I also have a Versys 650 and the Versys is much more lively and fun.

But the Versys was a bit scary to my newbie touch when I first got it. It has a lot of giddyup. It is not bad now that I am used to it. And it sounds like you have more experience than I had when I got the Versys so you might be fine with it.

If you are fine with the Versys, you might find the NC700X a bit on the tame side. I found the CB500X to be more fun than the NC700X.

I think you will find a lot more used Versys around. That bike has been around for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I test rode the NC700X and found it very dull. But also very mellow and very easy to ride. So depends what you are looking for. I also have a Versys 650 and the Versys is much more lively and fun.

But the Versys was a bit scary to my newbie touch when I first got it. It has a lot of giddyup. It is not bad now that I am used to it. And it sounds like you have more experience than I had when I got the Versys so you might be fine with it.

If you are fine with the Versys, you might find the NC700X a bit on the tame side. I found the CB500X to be more fun than the NC700X.

I think you will find a lot more used Versys around. That bike has been around for a while.
    Good looking bike, probably a step above what i'm looking for this season. Possible 2nd bike down the road

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    I think that 500Fs are not showing up much on the used market because people are finding that they like them, they are more versatile than expected, and owners are keeping them. Even here in the Phoenix area there are currenly on six used 500Fs listed on Craigslist.