Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tip Toeing into the Dirt

If you take the MSF dirt school you will be technically ahead of about half the offroad riders ... that is you will know things like your front brake is still critical to quick stopping and locking the rear tire for a quick stop is correct. They will still be able to out ride you because of their experience.

Their are some crucial differences between street and trail mostly the variable of traction. Nothing will put you on your ass quicker than leaning with the bike or worse hanging off to the inside. Two years ago I spent a lot of time riding great paved twisties in the mountains of California. The day I got backto the desert I went down hard at speed. I was baffled. I had taken that rocky-gravelly curve 50 times with no problem, 15 minutes later I nearly went down again but I instantly recognised my error ... I was leaning with my bike instead of letting it move under me.

You stand for the hard parts and sit for the easy. Gigi is a good one to watch for this ... I get lazy. A cheap set of risers for the handlebars will help with this and are easy to install. They make it easier to stand in the correct position.

Where I am riding airing down the tires much is impossible because of the rocky terrain ... but we have extensive deep gravel washes and sand and the technique is counter-intuitive. The handlebar begins twitching side to side which makes you want to slow down to stabilise things ... when what you need to do is add throttle, move your weight a little back and allow the 'pony it's head'. Going off throttle will invariably cause the front tire to sink in and down you go.

Offroad riding is something you can always get better at. My mentor rode trials years ago and is bugging me to try trials to improve my offroad. I want to go Mach 2 through the desert .. often speed will cover up a host of faults ... but not all. Just about every offroad school emphasizes slow to learn.

Me at Jimmy Lewis's OffRoad school in Pahrumph, NV.(Note all the KTMs. Most of the students were already pretty good offroad. The DRZ held it's own ,,,)
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    You like them better than Revzilla? That is where I have bought most of my gear.
    For offroad yes. They are offroad and dual sport riders themselves. Don't just get a roost guard, you are better off wearing your street gear than that. Buy the Gaerne Balance boots ... you can wear them street riding ... I wore mine to Mexico on my GS. Buy the less expensive stuff otherwise. By far most of your falls are going to be low speed. The most likely injury is going to be picking your bike up when you do it fast so no one sees. Pause. Pick it up right using your legs instead of back ...

Oh yeah GET KNEE SHIN GUARDS, Protection per dollar they cannot be beat. $15-20.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    If you don't already have them, and if you're as clumsy as I am, you might consider some hand guards to protect your levers if you dump the bike. They also protect your fingers if you are dumb enough to run right into a tree, not that I would know anything about that, cough cough.

A skid plate is good to have too if you're going to encounter any rocks.

I agree about not going overboard on the boots. I got MX boots for maximum protection, but don't think it's worth the sacrifice of not being able to feel the shift and brake pedals.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    That KLX250 is pretty darn near the perfect bike to begin offroad riding on with some compromise for streetability..
    Yes, it is a blast to ride. On and off road.

(Seriously think about a set of Pirelli MT21s or Dunlop 606s for the KLX and the DRZ. They will make a night and day difference in those bikes dirtability while giving up very little on the street.) .
    I just replaced the tires on both bikes. I got Michelin T63 for KLX and Bridgestone Trailwings for DRZ. I will replace the Trailwings if we get into any serious off road riding. The T63s on KLX seem good for now. I can notice a big difference in feel on road between the KLX with the T63s and the DRZ with the Trailwings. I am hesitant to push the KLX through corners on road as the DRZ. Probably has more traction than I think, but the knobs give it a little unsettled feel.

The DRZ will carry you thru some pretty serious offroad. The next level of KTM or Husqvarna come at a serious price and a serious step up in maintenance.
    Yes, I really like the DRZ. Although my son wants to buy it from me. I think he is expecting a really good deal.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    If you don't already have them, and if you're as clumsy as I am, you might consider some hand guards to protect your levers if you dump the bike. They also protect your fingers if you are dumb enough to run right into a tree, not that I would know anything about that, cough cough..
    Yeah that might be a good idea.

A skid plate is good to have too if you're going to encounter any rocks..
    Not too many rocks in Florida. I will keep that in mind if we venture out side the state.

I agree about not going overboard on the boots. I got MX boots for maximum protection, but don't think it's worth the sacrifice of not being able to feel the shift and brake pedals.
    That seems to be the concensus between OBX and Trials - I think I will go that way