View Poll Results: If Average Car Drive Risk is 10, What is the low and high for Motorcycles?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 to 5,000

1 20.00%
  • 10 to 1,000

1 20.00%
  • 20 to 500

3 60.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spectrum of Danger

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Trials, is it adjusted per miles traveled?
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    I think no, it literally represents the number of deaths and or serious injuries reported, as they relate to road travel.
    reference: https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents...cs2014_eng.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Would there be any correlation between underwriting insurance policies for cars vs motorcycles? If anyone has the relative risk I would think the insurance industry would know. That said, the risk of bodily injury on a bike is much much greater than that of a car, but the replacement dollar value on the bike probably offsets that compared to that of a car. (Not withstanding collector and exotic bikes)
    A month ago I was hit-and-run on my 2015 NINJA 1000. I was second in line behind a van in a LTOL. The guy backed up to, it appeared to me, give a semi room to make a left turn, knocked me over, and took off in the opposite direction we were waiting to turn. Got a plate, guy was caught, had insurance, thank heavens. Bodily injury: sore spot on my shoulder/upper back where I landed, little backache, irritated a previous whiplash injury. Settled for $405. Bike damage: almost $5500, all cosmetic. I wouldn't classify a NINJA 1000 as an exotic bike, but Kawi sure thinks a lot of all that Tupperware. In July, I had a blowout on my 2003 RAM 2500 while pulling a trailer at 75mph, ditched it, walked away. I think the payout for fixing my truck and trailer was around $6000, plus the tow bill. So two completely different incidents, same driver, about the same money out of the insurance companies' pockets.

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
    '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C, Kawasaki ZX25R!!!!!!!!!

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    I think no, it literally represents the number of deaths and or serious injuries reported, as they relate to road travel.
    reference: https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents...cs2014_eng.pdf
    Then it isn't telling us much about relative danger of those mods of transportation.

Then it isn't telling us much about relative danger of those mods of transportation.
    So the Canadian government just waisted a ton of money doing another useless study what else is new.

I think statistics only exist so that the reader can twist the results into whatever they wish to conclude about them, in this case, I like to think it shows that riding motorcycles is the third least dangerous form of transportation and that you stand a better chance surviving by riding a motorcycle then you do stepping out onto a roadway.

how could one adjust pedestrian and bicycle road milage so that it related to motor vehicles? They don't have an odometer and don't require a license plate, so Stats Canada could never collect realistic information, it would just be a guess on somebody's part. Every year that we renew our plates the government asks for the kilometre reading on our motor vehicles and they own all of the hospitals, so in theory the rest of the information should be relatively accurate.

Typically if you want to relate US statistics to those represented up here you would multiply our numbers by a factor of between 7 to 10. It would be morbidly interesting to see if that works in this case.

I like to think it shows that riding motorcycles is the third least dangerous form of transportation and that you stand a better chance surviving by riding a motorcycle then you do stepping out onto a roadway.
    No it doesn't. It shows that much less people ride motorcycles than do all these other things.

Well that is obviously true too and most ride their motorcycles seasonally, but we have a separate bunch of numbers to represent vehicle registration numbers. Still at a loss how you are going to prorate the deaths and serious injuries to represent anything other then deaths and serious injuries.

Total vehicle registrations 33,168,805
    Total road motor vehicle registrations 23,923,806
    Vehicles weighing less than 4,500 kilograms 22,067,778 <- couple of those are mine.
    Vehicles weighing 4,500 kilograms to 14,999 kilograms 591,897
    Vehicles weighing 15,000 kilograms or more 464,322
    Buses 90,551
    Motorcycles and mopeds 709,258 <- 2 of those are mine!
    Trailers 7,094,079 <- 4 of those are mine
    Off-road, construction, farm vehicles 2,150,920 <- no idea how they know what I own in the way of non-registered equipment
    I think that last one is a guess.

Also, let me know if you see a reason for my motorcycle liability insurance to be so ridiculous high.

Also, let me know if you see a reason for my motorcycle liability insurance to be so ridiculous high.
    We've discussed that, I believe. It's because of your government's ineptitude and/or corruption :P

well in that case I vote 6.4 because our government has practically removed all motorcycle traffic from the public roads.