View Poll Results: If Average Car Drive Risk is 10, What is the low and high for Motorcycles?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 to 5,000

1 20.00%
  • 10 to 1,000

1 20.00%
  • 20 to 500

3 60.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectrum of Danger

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Insurance companies deal with risk pools. Large statistically identifiable classes are grouped and priced in accordance with the average of the pool. They do not deal with extremes since there are not enough individuals at the extremes to for a pool. Super high risk individuals are denied coverage. And super low risk individuals are pooled with the lowest pool available.
    Also noteworthy when it comes to basic liability coverage, unless you nail a pedestrian a motorcycle simply is not going to cause much in the way of damage for liability payouts. Add hyper-power and/or inexperience (read: younger age/maturity) and the chances of a payout increase, hence the higher rates.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    If you hit a pedestrian up here, there is a 99% chance they have medical coverage, but you wouldn't know that from our liability insurance premiums.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    I'm going to say yes because you just missed a point that the insurance companies prefer to overlook, you can't drive all of your insured vehicles at the same time. I also don't believe you can equate riding skill directly with miles covered, if that 2000 miles was covered on a track that represents a considerable amount of practice and experience, but if it's just humming along on a superhighway in fair weather only :/ not so much. Too many variables Living in a northern latitude my entire life I bet I'm a way better driver on slippery roads then somebody who has never seen snow and ice fall from the sky, but you guys living in Arizona are probably racking up a lot more safe driving miles.

Riding motorcycles absolutely makes you a better car/truck driver, if nothing else it has educated you towards the safety concerns of the motorcycles that are sharing the road with you and increased the likelihood that you will notice a motorcycle. I bet not too many of us are prone to tailgate a motorcycle in front of you, but you probably experience that almost every time you go for a ride.

Since we are talking averages and stereotyping drivers based on motorcycle experience, I bet that people who have ridden motorcycles all their life are typically more mechanically minded and people who learned to drive a car late in life are relatively stupid towards the safe operation of a motor vehicle in extreme situations. Statistics as insurance companies like to look at them do little justice for individuals, their motivation is all based on increasing premiums and justifying outrageous rates where insurance coverage is legislated. I seriously doubt that our Ontario insurance rates are even based upon Ontario statistics, if they were our motorcycle rates would be much lower. Apologies if it sounds like a rant every time we discuss insurance, but I feel I pay a ridiculous amount to cover other peoples consumption so it's a sensitive subject for me to even contemplate.

I'd go riding right now but we collected another 2 inches of powder snow last night on top of a thick ice layer that was already on the ground
    :/ winter sucks, but spring is almost here
    I agree with this. ALL of this, right down to two of the points made:
    1. winter DOES suck!
    2. Insurance companies ARE leeches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Blog Entries
    If you hit a pedestrian up here, there is a 99% chance they have medical coverage, but you wouldn't know that from our liability insurance premiums.
    They may have medical insurance but that's not going to pay for their so called "pain & suffering" that we all know the scumbags are going to litigate for, even though it was their fault they walked out in front of a moving vehicle.

* Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
    They may have medical insurance but that's not going to pay for their so called "pain & suffering" that we all know the scumbags are going to litigate for, even though it was their fault they walked out in front of a moving vehicle...
    Na, that's a US thing: Ontario legislature has declared that no damages for pain and suffering are payable in motor vehicle negligence claims unless the accident victim has died; has sustained a permanent serious disfigurement; or has sustained a “permanent serious impairment of an important physical, mental or psychological function”. Up here you'd almost need to back up and run em over a few more times for them to see any serious money come of it.

Blog Entries
    Na, that's a US thing: Ontario legislature has declared that no damages for pain and suffering are payable in motor vehicle negligence claims unless the accident victim has died; has sustained a permanent serious disfigurement; or has sustained a “permanent serious impairment of an important physical, mental or psychological function”. Up here you'd almost need to back up and run em over a few more times for them to see any serious money come of it.
    Sounds smart. Unfortunately, the people who make the laws down here are the scumbag ambulance chasers who have made millions off of their client's injuries. They even ADVERTISE: "Hurt in an accident, call us first!" Jerks.

-M.I.T.G.C. #72

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    An insurance industry report from a year or so ago from Great Britain concluded that their drivers who also rode motorcycles were lower than average risk drivers.
    Interesting! So we should all get given a break on insurance costs on both cages and bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Interesting! So we should all get given a break on insurance costs on both cages and bikes!
    I suppose that it meanst that we are average when compared to other motorcyclists, but we should get a break on our car insurance because we are less likely to wreck our cars than the average car-only driver.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    because we are less likely to wreck our cars than the average phone-only driver.
    Fixed that for ya...
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Canadian statistics are not usually very up to date, but very revealing just the same:

... apparently it is safer to ride a motorcycle then it is to walk in Canada statistically we must be really bad at walking and make terrible back seat drivers but we ride pretty good and can't drive a car for beans.
    We can only guess what "not stated/other" people are riding, trikes, skateboards, horses and wheelchairs perhaps.