Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Threads that should be articles

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Once in a while it pays to return to the original post, just to make sure your posts are still on topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    All - We are dying here...
    Anyhow, I'm opening this thread up for you all to drop in your suggestions on what we should promote to an article. That will put things front and center on the home page, and in the article categories for users across the world to browse. If you see someone having written an awesome review or something super interesting or informative, then drop a link in this thread. You dont need to explain it or anything, just the link. The moderators here will check it out and promote it if we agree. Thanks for keeping watch out there.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Once in a while it pays to return to the original post, just to make sure your posts are still on topic:
    My point is directly on topic, may I refer you to the opening sentence of that which you quoted:

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    All - We are dying here, and I'm trying to give things a kick in the ass.
    When regulars and charter members alike stop posting, that's the death knell of any board.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

If it's anything like amateur clubs and events, the problems start when the sport fails to attract new people and the old guard loses interest in supporting and promoting the sport. I'm still seeing a fairly good core of old guard support here and the site is still up, so I figure it's the new people that we are failing to attract and keep in the room. Could it be they just don't like the message? Liberpolly's recent thread would indicate that is the case.

Perhaps we just need to promote some articles on how to best deal with some of the topics that experienced riders would normally find objectionable. I can start with some article suggestions:
    'How to survive riding too big of a first motorcycle'
    'How to chop, bob and cafe racer all the wrong motorcycles'
    '1001 ways to improve your motorcycle with an angle grinder'
    'How to ride with no fenders'
    'Mufflers: who needs em! open headers sound awesome'
    'Pod filters: it's all about the look, who cares what they run like!'
    '1970's CB750: is it the right starter bike for you'
    'Building a motorcycle seat out of an old skateboard'
    'X-box: does it count as previous motorcycle experience'

There, that post should crank up a few hits and possibly heated responses

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The problem, as I have maintained in numerous other threads, is facebook itself. Today's generation on the whole needs instant gratification and their typical 8 second/12 word attention span is perfect for modern media sound bytes yet at the same time couldn't be any further from a forum's purpose. Forum traffic everywhere, on the whole, is in decline as a result of social media. People really aren't looking for factual support, they are more interested in like minded individuals' support.

Hence the "like" button, the single most anti-social function ever to be introduced to a social outlet. This allows said like minded individuals with said short attention spans to reply without actually saying anything...you know, the basis of a social platform: communication. As long as they collect their "likes" then they "know" that they are correct. Facts be damned, they take too long to read anyways so they couldn't possibly be important.

As such forums on the whole are going the way of the dodo, after all who wants to wait 15 minutes for a response when twitter/facebook/etc gives instant support via the like button.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Now there's a person who should stay far away from real motorcycles!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Rollin' On
    'X-box: it does count as previous motorcycle experience' (fixed it )

I am here just anticipating the release of these 3 articles

One way to get new folks stopping by may be for the regulars to post simple reviews of bikes they have ridden. What they like/don't like, what it does well or not so well etc. There are a few good reviews on here but there is a lot more experience with a lot of different bikes on here to draw from. The site is great at answering "should I consider x or y bike".

There was a report of a get off yesterday. I learned a lot from the report and one new thing I walked away with is some thoughts about tires. There could be a pretty good summary of what you should look for in a tire - there are real reasons to not go cheap and 'wears like iron'

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    The problem, as I have maintained in numerous other threads, is facebook itself. Today's generation on the whole needs instant gratification and their typical 8 second/12 word attention span is perfect for modern media sound bytes yet at the same time couldn't be any further from a forum's purpose. Forum traffic everywhere, on the whole, is in decline as a result of social media. People really aren't looking for factual support, they are more interested in like minded individuals' support.

Hence the "like" button, the single most anti-social function ever to be introduced to a social outlet. This allows said like minded individuals with said short attention spans to reply without actually saying anything...you know, the basis of a social platform: communication. As long as they collect their "likes" then they "know" that they are correct. Facts be damned, they take too long to read anyways so they couldn't possibly be important.

As such forums on the whole are going the way of the dodo, after all who wants to wait 15 minutes for a response when twitter/facebook/etc gives instant support via the like button.
    Like.

Quote Originally Posted by mic575 View Post
    'X-box: it does count as previous motorcycle experience' (fixed it )

I am here just anticipating the release of these 3 articles

One way to get new folks stopping by may be for the regulars to post simple reviews of bikes they have ridden. What they like/don't like, what it does well or not so well etc. There are a few good reviews on here but there is a lot more experience with a lot of different bikes on here to draw from. The site is great at answering "should I consider x or y bike".

There was a report of a get off yesterday. I learned a lot from the report and one new thing I walked away with is some thoughts about tires. There could be a pretty good summary of what you should look for in a tire - there are real reasons to not go cheap and 'wears like iron'
    Like.

I can do a ride report on the 1953 BSA 500cc Goldstar motocross model

but you'll probably never see one in your lifetime unless it's parked in a museum.

Exclamation Oh Oh

I think I found a great topic for an article: Mouse proofing your motorcycle

For those who don't immediately recognize it, that right there is a perfect combination air intake mouse house.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    I had to go out and check mine after I saw that. No mice so far, but it's getting a wad of steel wool in the intake until spring.

I think something along the same lines as what I did on my sea-doo is in order:

Looks like the CBR500R air intake goes straight into the filter and that is encased in wire mesh, so I suspect a replacement filter will fix it with no further damage expected.

I can't locate a free service manual for this bike so far, let me know if you find one. I'm cheap and refuse to pay 60+$ for documentation that should accompany every new motorcycle purchase. Mr.Honda please get with the program and make this stuff easy available!