Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Threads that should be articles

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    What was closed? We had some software changes that prevented the articles from being shows as they had been, but I dont believe there was an active change that kept us from wanting your articles.
    After resubmitting all the prior BB.com articles --- as per the request of the admin/mod team of this board at the time who initially claimed I would be granted the resources to do so --- I attempted to continue submitting new material but did not have sufficient attachment space for photos. Numerous requests were made in that regard, all of which went unanswered. As such the (then) new submissions ended with five out of an intended series of eight new installments that would have kicked off the new run (re: Decade of Decadence). It was the deafening silence to those requests that metaphorically closed the door in the way of inspiring any further submissions.

So my answer to "suggestions on what we should promote to an article" would be "don't blow off your contributors that spend quality time honoring those requests".
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Replying in line with your post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Are there revenue sources other than ads, subscriptions and donations? No.

Wikipedia seems to be surviving on donations alone. They have billions of users. We dont.

What do you need to keep the site going? With no upgrades in software or purchases of any sort, the site takes about $500 per year to operate.

It would be nice if you could find a major sponsor to take an interest in the mission of the site. That would be cool.

Maybe very limited ads that are not too intrusive. I have stopped going to the Versys site since the ads are so bad they make navigating the site difficult. HDForums is another site I go to that has a lot of ads. Annoying, but the people there are nice and helpful. I've been considering this. The nice thing about vbulletin is that I can include/exclude groups from ad displays. So I have a money contributors group that I used to put people into. I dont really anymore, because I doesnt really give you any more.....but maybe I should, with a minimum donation of like $50 change users to it and prevent ad displays to them. It's definitely possible, but I'm trying to decide what to do with the vbulletin software. Version 4 is getting quite old, 5 sucks, and there aren't enough contributions to budget a new purchase.

I would not like ads, but I would keep coming to this site even if you had to have them. I understand you have to at least cover your costs and it would be completely reasonable for you to be compensated for the enormous amount of time you must contribute.

Only a few people who post here. I know, we are down to an average 30 posts a day, from years before of about 2-300/day

Do you have a means of keeping track of visitors who are real people? Google analytics takes care of all of that and has methods to determine ACTUAL traffic versus bots, spiders, etc.

Do you have enough activity to attract interest from advertisers?Unsure, I've never looked into it.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    After resubmitting all the prior BB.com articles --- as per the request of the admin/mod team of this board at the time who initially claimed I would be granted the resources to do so --- I attempted to continue submitting new material but did not have sufficient attachment space for photos. Numerous requests were made in that regard, all of which went unanswered. As such the (then) new submissions ended with five out of an intended series of eight new installments that would have kicked off the new run (re: Decade of Decadence). It was the deafening silence to those requests that metaphorically closed the door in the way of inspiring any further submissions.

So my answer to "suggestions on what we should promote to an article" would be "don't blow off your contributors that spend quality time honoring those requests".
    I dont think the door closed or anything was intentional. Life happens, and it's possible I got apathetic about it all. I think the owner of bb.com had a breakdown of some sorts...and I had something similar a few years ago. However, the articles were never unwanted, they were just unable to be published (because I'm an idiot and hadn't figured the system out yet).
    '
    Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    With only 30 posts a day, I would think advertiser interest would be limited. But perhaps that are a lot more readers than posters. I have posted similar questions here, on the Versys forum, HDForum and Thumper forum. I generally get more replies from the other sites, but I get better replies here.

At the moment, you have captured a group of posters with above average knowledge and above average interest in helping others. That is a value it seems that you could capitalize on in some way. Not sure how. I have mentioned the site to many people. If all of us remember to mention the site to dealers, MSF coaches, Mechanics, other riders, maybe we could get the activity up a bit. Then maybe limited ads with an ability to avoid the ads with a subscription.

Ultimately Derick is going to run out of gas and the site will die which would be a real shame. It is the best resource I have found for motorcycle information.

I would be nice for the site to cover costs and pay Derick for his time.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One thing we found eons ago was that putting adsense on a few of our sites increased the "hit rate", in part because the site got indexed better by Google. But that wasn't enough to overcome those forums being dull and dying compared to Facebook, and the revenue was insignificant.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    First off I'd like to thank you Derick for the work you put in to making this forum work. I really wish I had more money to contribute. It makes me sad that the posting dropped off. I assumed that during my hiatus the party was still in full swing. I actually felt kinda bad back in the day because I was posting so much. I know there were a few complaints that too many of the posts/threads were off topic. (My bad) I wondered which was more important....traffic the posts generate....or the amount of bandwidth needed to support all those posts. (I know nothing about how all this works...but again...thank you for making it all work...and undertaking the expense involved).

I had asked if Facebook redirected peoples posting time. Which would be sad since this forum really is the best corner of the internet...bar none.

I'm hoping that those that left are only taking a hiatus...and come back again.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    All these article threads just redirect to the main landing page when I click them.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Disclaimer: I've never run a forum, but I'm one of those people who you may say contributed to the building of the modern internet. (not algore)

I think you main problem here is that the solution does not match the problem. You're running a board with dozen or so regulars, on a platform that is built for thousands.

If you switch to one of those low-budget hosting companies and run a free forum software, you can get to 95% functionality at 5% of the cost. For example, Powweb would host unlimited bandwidth and storage website for less than $4/month. You can run the board on phpBB, Joomla, phpNuke, or whatnot, and it will probably even let you migrate most of the content. For free. It has adWords abd even Bing ad-something integration.

From there, you can regroup, and see how you can grow. You have invaluable resources - tons of content, and well known domain, you can put them to good use.

Moving platforms can either kill the forum or breath a new life to it. Can it be any worse than the current state?
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    Disclaimer: I've never run a forum, but I'm one of those people who you may say contributed to the building of the modern internet. (not algore)

I think you main problem here is that the solution does not match the problem. You're running a board with dozen or so regulars, on a platform that is built for thousands.

If you switch to one of those low-budget hosting companies and run a free forum software, you can get to 95% functionality at 5% of the cost. For example, Powweb would host unlimited bandwidth and storage website for less than $4/month. You can run the board on phpBB, Joomla, phpNuke, or whatnot, and it will probably even let you migrate most of the content. For free. It has adWords abd even Bing ad-something integration.

From there, you can regroup, and see how you can grow. You have invaluable resources - tons of content, and well known domain, you can put them to good use.

Moving platforms can either kill the forum or breath a new life to it. Can it be any worse than the current state?
    Well the software doesnt cost anything at this point, so why would I change platforms? Years ago you had to buy annual licenses, however with VB4, they changed it to a single purchase. I paid for the VB5 upgrade, but it's worthless.

Other products out there that I would consider going to like xenforo do have annual costs again, which I wont do until we have funding.

We're getting our hosting from Amazon on their AWS server, this is literally as cheap as I can get it. The shared services we've done, we were with dreamhost for like 12 years...this is better.
    Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, if you could persuade the same members that are registered here to post 10% of what they do on facebook, it would be an active board again.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com