Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Threads that should be articles

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Threads that should be articles

All - We are dying here, and I'm trying to give things a kick in the ass. I will likely start signing up for link exchanges and may bring in extra manpower to help in gathering more traffic. With that said, I was finally able to make use of all our old articles in the database. I feel dumb because I hadn't dug into it deep enough before to figure it out, but by god I finally got it. And it wasnt that hard.

Anyhow, I'm opening this thread up for you all to drop in your suggestions on what we should promote to an article. That will put things front and center on the home page, and in the article categories for users across the world to browse. If you see someone having written an awesome review or something super interesting or informative, then drop a link in this thread. You dont need to explain it or anything, just the link. The moderators here will check it out and promote it if we agree. Thanks for keeping watch out there.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    ... categories for users across the world to browse....
    I think you touched on a potential problem right there the world is a really big place, we appear to have good readership in north america and little to no presence in a lot of countries where riding motorcycles is more of a necessity and less sport entertainment. Is there a reason for this and how extensive is the block by country settings applied to this site?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    I think you touched on a potential problem right there the world is a really big place, we appear to have good readership in north america and little to no presence in a lot of countries where riding motorcycles is more of a necessity and less sport entertainment. Is there a reason for this and how extensive is the block by country settings applied to this site?
    There answer is; plenty. We have a lot of blocked subnets, but most are eastern bloc countries, russia, ukraine, a LOT of china...those are what I can think of off the top of my head. Also, we have a lot of automatic blocks as well happening 20-30 times a day based on robot nature. So, yes, there are some valid folks being excluded. But I would estimate that as like 2-4% at most.
    Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    All - We are dying here, and I'm trying to give things a kick in the ass.
    What is your objective for the site?

Blog Entries
    Unsure. I was hoping it would be a good community of learning and growth. Then I was thinking that this would be cool to run an organization and try and find someway to fund the site, and some sort of payroll for me to organize various rides and events like other sites I'm a part of. Then I've also considered selling it and passing the torch to someone else. Maybe they monetize it, who knows...
    Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Unsure. I was hoping it would be a good community of learning and growth.
    You have accomplished that. I cannot tell you how much it has meant to me.

Then I was thinking that this would be cool to run an organization and try and find someway to fund the site, and some sort of payroll for me to organize various rides and events like other sites I'm a part of. Then I've also considered selling it and passing the torch to someone else.
    It seems most fund their sites with adds. I would hate to see that since it is so annoying, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

It seems you do not like asking for donations, but you might have to have a fund drive. Say set a donation goal of enough to fund the site for six months. Close all the threads except one fund raising thread until you raise the target funds. Kind of like they do on NPR.

Or maybe a subscription that is required for full access. Maybe limit access to certain areas to members only. But that may be contrary to your objective. The site has a very inclusive and giving feel to it.

Or give people donor level indicators on their signatures. It works for universities.

Maybe they monetize it, who knows...
    To monetize, you have to have a revenue stream.

Are there revenue sources other than ads, subscriptions and donations?

Wikipedia seems to be surviving on donations alone.

What do you need to keep the site going?

It would be nice if you could find a major sponsor to take an interest in the mission of the site.

Maybe very limited ads that are not too intrusive. I have stopped going to the Versys site since the ads are so bad they make navigating the site difficult. HDForums is another site I go to that has a lot of ads. Annoying, but the people there are nice and helpful.

I would not like ads, but I would keep coming to this site even if you had to have them. I understand you have to at least cover your costs and it would be completely reasonable for you to be compensated for the enormous amount of time you must contribute.

Only a few people who post here. Do you have a means of keeping track of visitors who are real people? Do you have enough activity to attract interest from advertisers?

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    If you were looking for commercial sponsors, want to keep it on topic and did't want the advertising to get out of hand :/ I would start with the recognized Motorcycle rider training organizations. There are about 100 of them in Ontario alone and they are almost all associated with Community Colleges, which are run for profit organizations and do have advertising budgets. You would be certain to see an increase in new rider readership.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well...back in the early days of this board I had been re-submitting the prior board's Customarily Minded and started a new set of articles when that door was closed on me.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Well...back in the early days of this board I had been re-submitting the prior board's Customarily Minded and started a new set of articles when that door was closed on me.
    What was closed? We had some software changes that prevented the articles from being shows as they had been, but I dont believe there was an active change that kept us from wanting your articles.

In fact, they are all online and on the front page again. We're sanding the edges a bit but they are visible again.
    Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes: