Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: New Guy Looking to Buy My First Bike

  1. #11
    Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    8,657
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy333 View Post
    ...
    I've never wheelied in my life. Don't know how, and honestly, a little afraid to haha. Thanks for the warm welcome.


    I never wheelied that bike. I never even hit the powerband I don't think lol. If I did, it is over exaggerated by everyone on the internet. I sold that bike after 3 months I think. I bought it, never had time or a place to ride so I sold it.
    oops, then you never actually got good at riding dirt bikes and I downgrade my recommendation that you can ride anything in the way of a street bike. As others have said, the bigger the bike you get the steeper and longer your learning curve is going to be. Should have kept the KDX and found a friend with a pickup truck.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    My son and I have both accidently wheelied the Versys which has the same engine and frame and a lot of the same parts as the Ninja 650 so be careful with the throttle and clutch until you get the feel for it.
    Definitely. Thanks for the heads up
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    oops, then you never actually got good at riding dirt bikes and I downgrade my recommendation that you can ride anything in the way of a street bike. As others have said, the bigger the bike you get the steeper and longer your learning curve is going to be. Should have kept the KDX and found a friend with a pickup truck.
    I had/have a truck. No time and the closest place I could find was 2 1/2 hours away. I'm glad I got rid of the KDX. It was my "parents won't let me get a street legal bike so I might as well buy what I can get away with" bike. I like my 2015 Chinese piece of shit more than I liked that KDX lol

  3. #13
    Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Vacaville, CA
    Posts
    3,145
    I'll echo the suggestion for going with a Ninja 300. Reasonable legroom for a 6' rider, and plenty of power. Ergonomics aren't quite as relaxed as the 650R or Sportster, but are by no means 'cramped'. Style is still similar to the 650R, with similar fairing coverage. Buy used.

    That said, there are much worse choices than the 650R. Something to remember about being a bigger rider: The odds of an accidental wheelie aren't actually reduced by your weight. Because you constitute more of the bike+rider system than a lighter rider, the combined center of gravity is higher. This means that if you are ham-fisted or drop the clutch (or both) on a 1-2 shift, the angles involved make the bike "try and run out from underneath you" for lack of better terminology. Take it easy, and work hard at being as smooth as possible.

    Oh, and welcome to the site!

    __________________
    Quote Originally Posted by Afflo
    ... and all that promise of power just sorta evaporated into the clattery, hoary sound of disappointment.

  4. #14
    Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NE PA
    Posts
    2,167
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy333 View Post
    ....
    .... I personally don't believe starting on something bigger than a 300 means I won't grow and develope skills, faster or at all. ......
    Speaking as someone who started on a 750 lb bike. Your learning curve on a larger bike WILL be larger. However, even though the skills may develop a little more slowly you will notice how much easier riding becomes the more you do it....

    You do have a leg up on me though, in that you have previous riding experience, even though you say you are not expert, that should help (I think).


    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

  5. #15
    BigGuy, unless I missed it, I didn't see WHY you've narrowed your choice down to those two bikes. If we know why (i.e., what specifics you're looking for/prefer), we may be able to add more insight into other (possibly better) choices for you.

    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxieman View Post
    I'll echo the suggestion for going with a Ninja 300. Reasonable legroom for a 6' rider, and plenty of power. Ergonomics aren't quite as relaxed as the 650R or Sportster, but are by no means 'cramped'. Style is still similar to the 650R, with similar fairing coverage. Buy used.

    That said, there are much worse choices than the 650R. Something to remember about being a bigger rider: The odds of an accidental wheelie aren't actually reduced by your weight. Because you constitute more of the bike+rider system than a lighter rider, the combined center of gravity is higher. This means that if you are ham-fisted or drop the clutch (or both) on a 1-2 shift, the angles involved make the bike "try and run out from underneath you" for lack of better terminology. Take it easy, and work hard at being as smooth as possible.

    Oh, and welcome to the site!
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
    Speaking as someone who started on a 750 lb bike. Your learning curve on a larger bike WILL be larger. However, even though the skills may develop a little more slowly you will notice how much easier riding becomes the more you do it....

    You do have a leg up on me though, in that you have previous riding experience, even though you say you are not expert, that should help (I think).


    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Yeah I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I am very much a newbie. I'm looking forward to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
    BigGuy, unless I missed it, I didn't see WHY you've narrowed your choice down to those two bikes. If we know why (i.e., what specifics you're looking for/prefer), we may be able to add more insight into other (possibly better) choices for you.

    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Ninja: Sport bike looks with an upright seating position, 650cc engine that's beginner friendly, I've always wanted a sport bike (green ninja to be exact), insurance isn't terrible

    Harley: Very comfortable, I love the power and torque, i like the color, I've taken it for a ride twice now and the power/torque is very manageable. I love the classic look it has.

    I would love to own both, they both have their pros, honestly can't think of any cons for either other than the ninja's windscreen. I'm not a fan of it. But function over form I guess. I'm not a sport bike only or a cruiser only or a dual sport only kind of guy. I like pretty much everything.

  7. #17
    Oh and both are fuel injected. I've had two carbureted bikes and a carbureted truck and I prefer not to deal with carbs if I can avoid it.

  8. #18
    Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy333 View Post
    I want to be a great rider just as much as the next guy. I personally don't believe starting on something bigger than a 300 means I won't grow and develope skills, faster or at all. Maybe I'm wrong.
    You are, and it has nothing to do with beliefs, it's well-established fact. Just ask any coach. Any.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    You are, and it has nothing to do with beliefs, it's well-established fact. Just ask any coach. Any.
    Please link me to any and all studies on the subject of "new rider skill vs small/large first bikes". I will be happy to read them. Only then will any of that be considered fact. At this point, everything I have read on forums about starting on smaller bikes is nothing more than opinion. No matter what you, or these coaches, say, it is nothing more than an opinion you/they have on the subject until you have proof other than "ask any coach. Any". The same as my view on the subject is an opinion (which is not backed by proof). I'm not saying excellent points haven't been brought up, but until there is some proof to back these claims, they are opinions that will vary among each rider.

    I'm not trying to be an ass, I will seriously read and consider anything you find. This is not the point of the thread though. Nowhere did I ask for opinions (they were expected, but not requested) about what the best bike is for a new guy to start on. I said that at this point in time, I have it narrowed down to two. Those two may change in the coming weeks, they may not. Hell, I may end up choosing a 300 because I decide it's what I want.

  10. #20
    Immediately above, you said that "nowhere did I ask for opinions" about the best bike, but in your first post, you asked for opinions on which of your two chosen bikes we readers recommend. Since your two choices are NOT thought to be good for a near-beginner, you have to expect advice stating so. There's an awful lot of riding experience here...you may want to consider listening to it. At least it seems like you do leave an opening for that, since you said that you may end up getting a 300...


    Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Geodude; 01-31-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •