Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1700cc First Bike. Lets Party.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    Look for a BRC II course. This is MSF's one-step-up from the basic course. The BRC II has little (or maybe no) classroom time. In the BRC II, you ride your own motorcycle. If you are already riding about, you probably have a foundation in the basic operational skills you would learn in the Basic RiderCourse. Time may be better spent in BRC II. Maybe more than once? If you can find a location conducting the updated version of BRC II ( BRC2u) the classroom time is very well spent because it focuses on you, the rider, the place were most errors begin.

MSF's online basic eCourse ($20) would be a good idea too. If you live in an area where the updated BRC (BRCu) is offered, the eCourse is probably included when you sign up.
    I am riding a Harley Softail (about 650 lbs). I took BRC II on it and it helped greatly. I did it after only two weeks on the bike and probably less than 100 miles. It was challenging. I have about 2,200 miles on that bike now and I would like to take BRC II again. I think I would get more out of it now that I have more experience on the bike.

I originally took BRC I about 15 years ago and did not ride much until recently. I re-took BRC I and benefited by the experience. I bet I could take those courses ten more times and get something out of them every time.

I have considered asking the local school what they would charge me to come out and ride BRC I day two again.

It is really good stuff.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I have considered asking the local school what they would charge me to come out and ride BRC I day two again.

It is really good stuff.
    For all intents, BRC I, day 2, IS the BRC II.

First off, thank you guys for the input I really do appreciate it. I've been doing extensive research of everything that has to do with riding and learning to ride.

You guys have have given me great perspective in respecting the bike, and so far i've been grabbing an hour of practice every day. I've developed an understanding of counter steering, counter weighting, and am working as much as possible on slow speed maneuvers. I DEFINITELY have a new respect for the weight of the bike trying to get my u-turn relegated to two spaces. I'm at two and a half, its just that last half is killing me while forcing myself to be as safe as possible. On the bright side, I've only laid it down once (Gently, no damage save from a scraped handle bar) and caught it twice so through experience I know I can lift it even mid tip without trouble

I've signed up for the MSF eCourse which im currently banging out, the BRC-1 is slotted for later in the week. BRC-2 will be a few weeks down the road

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    Welcome Serenade, enjoy that BRC course!!
    For the U turns, remember to turn... no, TURN your head and look where you want to go!!

Good luck, ride safe and enjoy!

Gerry
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chench53 View Post
    Welcome Serenade, enjoy that BRC course!!
    For the U turns, remember to turn... no, TURN your head and look where you want to go!!

Good luck, ride safe and enjoy!

Gerry
    YES! Makes all the difference. "no, TURN your head" basically means be like an owl. Look where you actually want to end up, even if you have to turn your head 90 degrees or more to see your destination. Doing that, the weight becomes (almost) a non-issue. Just make sure you don't keep the clutch held in (use the friction zone if you have to) and do apply enough throttle to keep moving through the turn too. Ya don't want to coast to a stop half way through the turn or you may be picking the bike up off the ground. Sometimes second gear is smoother for those low speed maneuvers. As you become more comfortable with the bike, and willing to expand your comfort zone, I think you'll be amazed what that bike can do that you thought it couldn't!

Oh yeah, to practice the U turns, find an empty parking lot and practice them in the travel lane instead of the parking spots. Less distracting when your not paying so much attention to the lines. Once you think you have it down, then move back to the parking spots.

Don't forget to practice stopping too! Getting going is only half of the equation. In a situation that requires a quick reaponse you want to be able to smoothly and evenly apply the brakes to bring the bike to a stop. Don't GRAB the brakes or stomp on the brakes. Practice smooth efficient stops that won't lock up the wheels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    For all intents, BRC I, day 2, IS the BRC II.
    Exactly - Thinking rather than pay $100 to take BRC II. They might let me ride day 2 BRC I for $20 bucks. Don't need the certificate or anything. If they have class that is not full. A chance to get some directed practice.

Although, nice to do it on my bike rather than one of their crappy class bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenade View Post
    First off, thank you guys for the input I really do appreciate it. I've been doing extensive research of everything that has to do with riding and learning to ride.

You guys have have given me great perspective in respecting the bike, and so far i've been grabbing an hour of practice every day. I've developed an understanding of counter steering, counter weighting, and am working as much as possible on slow speed maneuvers. I DEFINITELY have a new respect for the weight of the bike trying to get my u-turn relegated to two spaces. I'm at two and a half, its just that last half is killing me while forcing myself to be as safe as possible. On the bright side, I've only laid it down once (Gently, no damage save from a scraped handle bar) and caught it twice so through experience I know I can lift it even mid tip without trouble

I've signed up for the MSF eCourse which im currently banging out, the BRC-1 is slotted for later in the week. BRC-2 will be a few weeks down the road
    This is not unusual for a first bike experience. Now, you know why we stress a "small, disposable, cheap, light weight, nothing to be scared about" motorcycle for these events.

Now, as far as "two and a half" spaces for a u-turn. Here's what I recommend. Get some old, flat/dead tennis balls. Cut them in half. Go to your empty parking lot, place them in a 24' circle. Start with a center ball, and tape measure 12' out radially. Maybe and a dozen to make your 24' circle. Don't worry about running over them as they're harmless. First try your turns to the left (like NASCAR.) Then try right. Try riding outside the balls first. First gear, stabilize your throttle (just above idle) modulate your clutch and control your speed by the rear brake ONLY. Do it until you get dizzy (or mall security says you gotta go!) When you feel "comfortable," try going inside the circle. Don't look at the ball directly in front of you. Rest assured, it is still there. Turn your head to the left (full lock) and look at the ball to the side. Actually, it's better to look "over" the ball as you will want to "fall into" a spiral. (That pesky "go where you look thingy, again.") t not only works for the X,Y axis, but also the Z axis. Altho we rarely have opportunity to use the "Z" axis. It does still exist.

Practice this a few times and you'll be surprised how much tighter a turn you can make. Heck, even yootoob has some videos on riders doing just these exercises. Norty50 has some too! (Yes, that's me.)

If the 24' circle is too easy for you, move the balls closer to centerpoint by 1 foot. This will make the circle 22' dia.

Then 20'
    Then 18'
    16' is about as tight as you're going to get on your bike. And that's with counter weighting and scraping the pegs/boards with the yoke resting on it's stop. Do this and we'll call you "sparky!"

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.