Thread: 98 Honda Shadow 1100 1st bike won't start

98 Honda Shadow 1100 1st bike won't start

Hey everyone new to the forum, first post actually. I just bought a 98 Honda Shadow 1100 for 900 bucks, the bike wouldn't idle, but the guy I bought it from could get it started by giving it some throttle. I tried to remedy it the lazy way by just adjusting the little return stop screws on the carb and tuning the idle screws out a half turn. Now I can't get it to kick over at all 😂 the shop near my house told me to pull the carb off and bring it to them to save some money but I figure if I'm going to pull it off and put it back on I might as well buy the seal and jet kit and do it myself, I went to tech school for automotive tech so I've got some experience working with engines. The only thing is I'm not sure how easy it'll be to tune and sync it properly. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Step one: the best carburetor parts to work with at this point are the original carburetor parts, save your money on a carburetor "kit" which really does not exist in the motorcycle world, that is something you would buy if it was a Briggs&Stratton lawn mower engine.
    ... That's actually step 2, step one is to download or otherwise procure a shop manual for the motorcycle and study it up real good, cleaning carburetors is something you are going to need to know how to do, particularly if you live in a climate where the motorcycle will be spending periods of non-use.

If it really was the idle screw that you turned out, you probably lowered the idle not raised it. Half a turn on any other carburetor adjustment is a lot. Has the exhaust and/or intake been modified? If yes, decent photos might help us to spot some problem areas for you to look into.

Think I found you a service manual -> http://www.carlsalter.com/download.asp?p=1327
    oops, that's a copy of a Haynes manual, not my favourite and they made those to sell so it's probably a copyright infringement. send some money to Mr.Haynes if you use it.
    Last edited by Trials; 01-10-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Oh my you didn't buy an easy bike to learn to wrench on. It has 2 vacuum operated carburetors plus a fuel pump. Fuel pump has a filter so you might want to start there before you mess with anything else.

I got no technical advice, but just wanna say "Welcome to the forum!"
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Hey thanks for the replies guys and for the welcome. So I've got some pics of the bike fully assembled but I'm not sure how to post them up here. Tomorrow is my day off so I'm going to pull the carb off and I'll take pics as I go. I'll make sure to follow the fuel line back and check the pump. And the kit is just replacement seals and replacement jets if you need them, they make those kits for literally any type of carb, I got one for my 87 Oldsmobile a few years back, but I'll take it off and apart to see how the seals look, unless it's somehow just machined to fit and doesn't need a gasket or seals but I've never seen a carb like that. Thanks for the shop manual I just gotta download a zip extractor to view it.

yep these carbs are not like anything you've seen before. Guaranteed that all of the problems are in the bottom half of the carburetor too. I've been cleaning motorcycle carburetors since 1966 and the last time I had to buy a new motorcycle carburetor part for a bike that was not modified was never.
    Shop manual just opened for me :/ must be a Mac thing.
    Holler if you need help

... is it snowing where you live? snowing and blowing like a sob here!

btw: you need to use photobucket or some other site to host your pictures and then post them via hyperlink here :/ the image size limit on this site is minuscule.

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    If you've taken the photos on your phone, the simplest thing is to use the Tapatalk app. It will take care of hosting the photos and let you post them directly without any extra steps.

Chuck, what happened?

(Oh yeah, welcome to the site!)
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.