Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATGATT & cam

Question ATGATT & cam

Hi,

I just bought a BMW R nine T as my first real and new bike and I am looking to upgrade my safety gear.

Just got my license here in Brasil. The course and the exam just suck, had to to it on a Honda 150 Fan. I am 6`1 and 225lbs and am going on 40, so I was like an adult riding a children's bike. Luckily got a lot of hours in on closed roads and the circuit here with a professional racer.
    I know, the bike may sound a bit powerful for a beginner bike, but I feel really confident on it and my instructor says I should just do fine on it. Any bike is dangerous if you act stupid so...
    Currently riding on a BMW G650 GS.

Main thing I am looking for is
    1. a full or modular helmet for a naked bike (to reduce wind drag and noise) with a possibility to install a bluetooth communication system, good ventilation is a must, it is just really hot here
    2. what is the best dashcam to install on the helmet
    3. is the airbag vest for motorriders worth it ?

I already have the rest of the gear from BMW

gloves ProSummer
    shoes Urban
    rainprotection suit ProRain (fluo yellow)
    jacket Airshell and the jack Blackleather (worn with a fluorescent vest above)
    pants with protective layering

all suggestions welcome.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Best cam" is a judgment call. I do not like the shape of GoPro and similar cameras, at least for helmet mounting. But a lot of people are willing to put up with the awkward shape to get good video and pictures.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My Bell Qualifier has a built in Sena SMH10 integration system. Remove a hinged panel in the outer shell and install the unit, route the wires and speakers into pre-existing velcro pockets in the cheekpads and you're done.

As for cameras, if you don't care to install them on your helmet, most cameras have handlebar adaptors that let you mount it on the bike.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

I would prefer a helmet cam since it might record a lot more. On the steering bar it just films ahead. If you get involved in an accident, it might miss eg the car fleeing the scene if the hit you in the back.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    I would prefer a helmet cam since it might record a lot more. On the steering bar it just films ahead. If you get involved in an accident, it might miss eg the car fleeing the scene if the hit you in the back.
    That's a morbid thought.

I have fairly limited experience with cameras attached while riding, although I do have a rear facing camera on my street bike that I use as a supplementary rear view mirror and I have used a friends GoPro attached to my helmet on a few occasions. My thought on the helmet mounted camera is that it does indeed interfere with my riding and that is probably not a very safe place to mount a camera considering the size and weight of them. I think it would be far safer and produce even better video recordings if you mounted it on your chest.

ATGATT for me is helmet, gloves, plus boots that cover my ankle and can't slip off my feet.

I got rear ended by a truck once but he couldn't exactly flee the scene of the accident :/ my bike and I were still sitting upright and firmly implanted into the front of his grill.

BTW: BMW does rear end crash testing and design on their motorcycles and it works.

I have a camera on my bicycle helmet, got rearended on a roundabout with the driver fleeing the scene. The last thing you think about is getting the licence plate. Luckily my camera caught it.
    Not such a morbid thought for me
    A camera on top of you helmet is not great and indeed interferes with you riding. Chest cam gives the same problem as a steering are mount. Almost exclusively faces forward.
    A side mounted helmet cam such as the sena may do the trick.
    Currently helmets with integrated cameras are being developed a.o. By bmw and there are also some crowfunded projects. None of them are however close to fabricating them for consumers.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Just as an explanation my reasoning is this: I spend an awful lot of money just to have a lighter helmet because I feel they are slightly safer and infinitely more comfortable by virtue of being light weight, so anything that contributes to my helmets weight is contrary to my best interests :/ but that is a very personal opinion not necessarily shared by others.

When I have a lighter helmet on I feel the difference on my neck after a day of riding, and every time I had a cam on my helmet I not only felt the extra weight but I became distracted by the notion of wanting to make a better movie. At least on my dirt bike it made me ride like crap and crash more often, ymmv.

Oh, just noticed you live in Brazil, that's probably a whole bunch different then living in a remote part of Canada

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I bought 3 WinBook cameras when they were available for $40 ($70 for the wifi-capable one), and equip both a forward and rearward camera on the Concours (only forward for the XT). When I want the dizzying sensation of watching where I was looking, THEN the third camera comes into play...

The Sena makes a lot of sense as far as also being your bluetooth speaker/microphone interface. It's also not a big wind load. And my preferences is side-mount, but I currently use a top mount. In part, it lets others know I'm recording their antics. "Do you want to tell the cop the truth now, or wait until after he sees the video?"
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That new Sena is a good choice.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."