Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATGATT & cam

Safety in Brasil is not a hot topic. I have already seen several hit n runs.
    People try everything not to be held responsible.
    Insurance is not compulsory, just a ridiculous one for invalidity that would barely cover the ambulance costs or the coffin.
    I have an all risk policy and then some.
    Not saying that is as bad as Russia but it comes close.
    My dashcam in the car already caught some nice footage. If I would have time, I could start my own YouTube channnel

Safety in Brasil is not a hot topic. I have already seen several hit n runs.
    People try everything not to be held responsible.
    Insurance is not compulsory, just a ridiculous one for invalidity that would barely cover the ambulance costs or the coffin.
    I have an all risk policy and then some.
    Not saying that is as bad as Russia but it comes close.
    My dashcam in the car already caught some nice footage. If I would have time, I could start my own YouTube channnel

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Hi,

I just bought a BMW R nine T as my first real and new bike and I am looking to upgrade my safety gear.

Just got my license here in Brasil. The course and the exam just suck, had to to it on a Honda 150 Fan. I am 6`1 and 225lbs and am going on 40, so I was like an adult riding a children's bike. Luckily got a lot of hours in on closed roads and the circuit here with a professional racer.
    I know, the bike may sound a bit powerful for a beginner bike, but I feel really confident on it and my instructor says I should just do fine on it. Any bike is dangerous if you act stupid so...
    Currently riding on a BMW G650 GS.

Main thing I am looking for is
    1. a full or modular helmet for a naked bike (to reduce wind drag and noise) with a possibility to install a bluetooth communication system, good ventilation is a must, it is just really hot here
    2. what is the best dashcam to install on the helmet
    3. is the airbag vest for motorriders worth it ?

I already have the rest of the gear from BMW

gloves ProSummer
    shoes Urban
    rainprotection suit ProRain (fluo yellow)
    jacket Airshell and the jack Blackleather (worn with a fluorescent vest above)
    pants with protective layering

all suggestions welcome.

Schuberth probably is leading the pack when it comes to high quality, high safety rated modular's with blue tooth compatibilities. They're the world leaders in low noise helmets and they have a pre-molded Sena insert. Scorpion is breaking some ground on really nice (and nice looking) affordable modular's but no pre-made Sena mounts.

When you phrase you question about "dash-cam" camera's as you did that (at least to me) infers you're looking for a camera for insurance purposes. That's a universe away from many, especially here in SoCal, for some who go to great lengths to capture the beauty of the ride itself. The undisputed king of capturing the beauty of the ride is the GoPro. Sony has made some enormous in-roads to challenge GoPro but their format (shape) makes it a difficult mount for some. A GoPro 4 or 5 is capable of capturing video that almost uncannily good. The GoPro doesn't have a sophisticated stabilization process as Sony but it's still my choice. A handle bar mount and a used GoPro Hero 3 would make a cheap insurance camera solution although battery time will seldom exceed 2 hours.

I tested the Helite inflatable safety vest personally at the Long Beach Motorcycle show a few weeks back. It's simply an amazing device and I was seriously tempted to buy one on the spot. My opinion is if you want a genuine hedge on survivability the Helite is a major player.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Have you seen that video where two young riders in Sao Paulo hijack a motorcycle and the dude gets shot dead by an off duty cop for it.
    ... that is absolutely nothing at all like living here.
    For me I think ATGATT in that part of the world might need to start with tactical body armour

This kind of robbery happens here all the time.
    Just get the insurance against 'roubo' (involves any kind of violence), give up your things and you will be fine.
    Here you do not want to play the hero. There are no cool YouTube videos of that. Thugs here have heavy guns and pistols. They get all the good material like uzis, m16s, s&w.40.
    Legally you can only get like prop handheld weapons, tarsus. 38 is the most you can get legally as a civilian.
    full body armour would you be a tad exaggerated
    The camera would more be for my own peace of.mind and insurance purposes. The atgatt because I value my physical integrity.

The Helite vest looks nice, especially the neck protection. Unfortunately the vest does not allow you to wear a backpack.
    I am returning in a few months to Belgium and will check out the new helmets by shoei, Schubert and Bmw. They all introduced new modular helmets that really seem nice.
    I do not buy any gear here in Brazil because in general they do not have it and what they do have is 40-50% more expensive than in Europe.