Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Wars - Rogue One Discussion (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    I don't think we are there yet ... but it is an interesting technology and in some movies it may eliminate actors at some point.
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clair View Post
    I don't think we are there yet ... but it is an interesting technology and in some movies it may eliminate actors at some point.
    The movie "Looker" was on cable just yesterday... from 1981.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I agree, not there yet, but coming soon to a theater near you....

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    R.I.P. Debbie Reynolds/Carrie's mom

One reviewer said it failed to pay respect to the dead (Cushing) but to me ... Cushing is critical to the story. He HAD to be in this one as he's in command of the Death Star once we get to Star wars EP4
    This would make me want to see their reviews back when Episode 3 did the exact same thing.

With the difference being R1 is a story with good actors and background visual effects while the prequels were all prominent visual effects with bad actors in the background. Had they restricted the acting to McGregor and McDiarmid (and maybe Jackson who was just being Jackson sans the foul mouth) it would have been a great run, but the poor selection of actors to represent the ultimate character destroyed any hope for the greatness that the OT has.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    The first major problem with the sequels was George Lucas. Well, First through about 50 or so.

Bad story concept, bad plots, bad scripts, bad actors, bad acting.

R1 is very good because of any number of reasons. Such as .. It's allowed to be outside the Skywalker story line and thus free. The story concept is known, but not the HOW, and R1 did a good job exploring it. As I understand it, it was rewritten because it was "too war like" and Disney wanted the war aspect toned down some. I'd be curious to see what the original cut was. R1 was good because NO George Lucas.
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    FWIW Lucas did have a small hand in the movie. He was a silent consultant and gave a few nods/suggestions that ended up being utilized in the movie. The difference was, unlike the prequels, he wasn't surrounded by a 100% representation of yes-men to carry out his every whim...rather it was just a producer and director that listened to some of his input but made their own decisions afterwards.

Incidentally this is one big reason why ESB was so well received, it was the only flick of the original six that Lucas did not direct.

Bad story concept, bad plots, bad scripts, bad actors, bad acting.
    The basic story & plot points in the prequels were quite good, it was the execution where it fell apart.

I'd be curious to see what the original cut was.

The trailers divulged some of the stuff that was cut. If there was a disappointment to the movie it would be not seeing the TIE hovering at the end of the catwalk Jyn was on that we saw in all the commercials. I'm hoping that part gets restored in the DVD release, it's an ominous scene that is second only to seeing the Death Star staring right at you with its Mordor-like eye ready to obliterate you and your entire planet.

Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Saw it, liked it. It was neat to see the events unfold that lead to "New Hope". We liked the Jedi/Samurai guy and his sidekick. I agree that there was just enough character development that you cared when they died.

I hadn't paid much attention to the pre-release hype; I thought I had remembered hearing that Peter Cushing had died so it threw me for a little bit seeing him on-screen, and then it hit me that if he were still living, he certainly wouldn't look exactly like he did in "New Hope". What amazing technology that allowed the filmmakers to recreate his image so realistically. I was anticipating Princess Leia's appearance at some point in the movie, but I think they did a TERRIBLE job with the CG. You could tell her mouth movements were fake. I don't know if they took footage from "New Hope" and changed the mouth movements to match the new dialogue or if it was completely CG, but it was a real letdown, particularly given the outstanding job they did on Tarkin.

"New Hope" has always been my favorite; the original; the classic. I liked "Jedi" better than ESB. Didn't like Mark Hamill's cockiness that flowed over to his screen performances. LOVED the Ewoks and Leia's Cher-esque hair (something that I've always wanted, but my hair will never do). Of the pre-quels, I liked Clone Wars best because I was sucked in by the love story. The lasting impression I got from "Force Awakens" was "Always wear practical shoes". If things ever really go to crap in this country, I am NOT going to be stuck in a pair of heels.

Lori
    RiderCoach since 2010
    I think I've finally figured out what I want to be if I ever decide to grow up.

'17 Kawasaki NINJA 300 ABS KRT ("Sheldon #3)
    '15 green Kawasaki NINJA 1000 ABS ("Sheldon 2"--'tis better to have loved and lost...)
    '10 Honda NT700V ("The DomiNaTor")--SOLD
    '08 green Kawasaki NINJA 250 ("Sheldon")--SOLD
    '05 Honda Shadow Aero VT750C-SOLD
    FUMAS: Harley-Davidson Rocker C

ATGATT: Because the laws of physics couldn't care less.

Someday I hope to become the rider that my bike deserves.

All the worry in the world doesn't prevent death. It prevents life.

Saw "Star Wars" 40 years ago in a theater. Tough act to follow. Very entertaining, but fake.

Star Trek = REAL
    Star Wars= FAKE
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.