Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars - Rogue One Discussion (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Star Wars - Rogue One Discussion (SPOILERS WITHIN)

As the title suggests, spoilers are welcome discussion for those of us that have seen the flick. If you haven't seen it yet, you've been warned twice now. AKA it's your own fault if you continue reading.

I caught the opening show on Thursday and have to say this is in my top three fave SW movies, with New Hope & ESB tied for first followed very closely by Rogue One. I found the lack of an opening crawl disturbing, however the triumphant return of an in-your-face musical score was most welcome following the elusive score from Force Awakens. Equally shocking was discovering said score was not from John Williams.

Overall a decent story of the events leading up to New Hope, and I do mean leading directly up to NH. Had there been an opening crawl this could have been Episode 3.999999999, because it ends within mere hours before NH begins. Despite not having a lot of screen time, Vader was awesome, and we finally get a glimpse into his reputation in New Hope & beyond (which was a huge missed opportunity in the prequels). The characters were developed in a satisfactory manner, and their demises although harsh lend meaningful support to the opening crawl of New Hope and the rest of the story that follows. Gratuitous cameos were fun nonetheless, Ponda Baba (aka walrus man) & Evazan ("we're wanted men"), R2 & 3PO, and the final scene with CG young Leia (voiced by Fisher) on the bridge of Tantive IV were nice touches (like I said, Episode 3.999999999 ).
    My only other disappointment beyond the nonexistant opening crawl was the lack of an audience on opening night. Having read how Fandango shattered first day pre-order records I was expecting more than the paltry sub-40% occupancy for the first viewing at the theater I attended. I can only speculate that these alleged Fandango records reflect the official December 16 opening date and people didn't realize that some theaters would be showing it a day sooner when they ordered. This was anything but the opening night experience I enjoyed with every prior SW movie I attended.

I'll see it again, although I am not tempted by 3D due to the obvious lack of effects that would be enhanced by spending the extra money on glasses coupled with the fact that 3D rarely translates well in action-heavy movies, of which R1 definitely is. Suffice it to say I am very eager to see how the next pre-New Hope tale turns out (the yet titled younger Han Solo flick), Disney certainly seems to be taking this franchise in a good direction.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

I particularly liked the 3-D version of Grand Moff Tarkin. It was quite eerie seeing Peter Cushing back from the dead, and may portend the future of 3-D replacements of past actors/characters.

My only sticking points were in some of the wardrobe decisions. The rebels in the Rogue One squad wore attire that made them look too much like US WWII D-Day infantry soldiers. That, in combination of the beach setting, gave the film a strange cross-over vibe. Don’t get me wrong, RO was AWESOME!, but when noticing the similarity, it took me slightly out of the events on screen.

I also felt it was pandering to have Jyn Erso lift the visor of her helmet when she was disguised as a Death Star Gunner. It was done so the audience could tell it was her, but given that she was the only officer who had her visor raised it made her stand out, and seemed odd.

That’s it.

- Wolf

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterwolf View Post
    The rebels in the Rogue One squad wore attire that made them look too much like US WWII D-Day infantry soldiers. That, in combination of the beach setting, gave the film a strange cross-over vibe.
    Perhaps that was an homage to the original movie's space battles based on WW2 aerial dogfights?
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    I thought the movie was F@cking awesome! For me, it's #2 behind Star Wars (or if you really have to "A New Hope" ... it wasn't called that originally dammit, just Star Wars). Force Awakens is #3 and Empire is #4 ... mostly because the whole Luke / Yoda thing was so whiny ....

Anyway, When heard they were making Rogue One I had a fear about it. I wanted a war movie, personally I wanted an R rated war movie. This wasn't supposed to be a George Lucas saturday morning movie. No F'ing ewoks or kids racing speeders crap. "A lot of lives were lost" ... so I wanted a war. I was worried they'd tame it down to insure it was kid friendly.

I have to say ... YAY! War Movie! I had no problem with there being no opening scrawl. I don't get why that is so important to people. I've read reviews where that very thing, no scrawl, "ruined the movie" for some people. Really? LAME! This isn't part of the episodes. The scrawl explains the episode. This is an event movie, not an episode. We know what it's about, we know the story.

I greatly enjoyed how they created new characters with just enough screen time for you to be sad as they are killed. Yes, they aren't "fully flushed out" but ya don't have time nor was there a need. I liked how everyone wasn't one dimensional, not a "good guy". I really liked the effects of bringing Peter Cushing's character back. He is important to the movie, critical even, and it was amazing the tech they used. Yes, those of us old enough to have seen SW the first time will see that it is some kind of special effect but the kids of today? They won't know that until somebody tells them. That is amazing.

Oh, I could have done without the C3P0 and R2D2 cameo ... I get why it was there .. paying homage and all but, that was the one part I could have done without.

I do like that we get to see Darth Vader actually BE Darth Vader .. BAD, Evil, a Killer. About friggin time.

oh, did you know that the x-wing fighter scenes with some of the characters from the original SW .. Red Leader and Gold Leader .. those shots are not new! They are actually footage cut from Star Wars that were found and added to this movie!

So, what did I not like about the movie ... actually it was stuff NOT in the movie, but in the trailer. I dislike it when good stuff is in the trailer to "excite" you but then cut from the movie. I thought her line of "This is a rebellion isn't it? Well, I rebel" was awesome ... but cut from the movie. I feel that was a mistake. Also, as she hobbles out to the communication console ... because of course you'd stick it out there at the end of a gangway! lol ... and the Tie Fighter comes up .. that was cut ...

All in all I loved the movie and will see it again. I cheered during it, I cried at the end.

And I loved the CG effect of having Princess Leia be there ... I thought that was cool
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clair View Post

oh, did you know that the x-wing fighter scenes with some of the characters from the original SW .. Red Leader and Gold Leader .. those shots are not new! They are actually footage cut from Star Wars that were found and added to this movie!
    Did you catch how Red 5 was shot down thus creating the opening for you-know-who in New Hope?
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    We saw it on Christmas. I enjoyed it very much. Not sure where it ranked. I liked them all. New Hope is #1 other than that, they are all good. We have then all on DVD and I have seen them all multiple times. But New Hope, I have watched many more times than the others.

I think I will watch New Hope again this week while Rogue One is fresh so I can pick up on all the tie-ins.

Will probably get Rogue One when it comes out on DVD and watch it again.

We saw it in 3D. I liked the 3D effects, but do not know how much it added. Would have been good without 3D.

I've seen it twice now, once 3D once not. I am not sure what all the 3D gave me the first time compared to the regular 2D. Still liked the movie a ton the 2nd time.

Absolute NO IDEA why people would being infants and toddlers to Rogue One ... seriously, get a baby sitter or wait for the DVD.

Star Wars is still my fave. Younger people don't really understand how amazing that movie was to us when it premiered in '76/'77. We had never seen anything like that before and the whole walk home from the theater the first time I saw it all I could imagine was how neat a Light Saber was. I think I saw Star Wars about 25-30 in the theater just that first summer.

Didja notice they kept the 1970's mustaches as well? lol

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

Blog Entries
    R.I.P. Carrie Fisher

I'm not sure if I am ready to accept that younger stars from the original film are disappearing so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Clair View Post
    I've seen it twice now, once 3D once not. I am not sure what all the 3D gave me the first time compared to the regular 2D. Still liked the movie a ton the 2nd time.
    There is a significant difference between movies that are originally filmed in 3D and those that were filmed in 2D only to be later translated into 3D. R1 falls into the latter and as such I can't justify spending the extra coin, for one thing any action sequences get blurred when viewed in 3D and you end up losing a lot. Movies like Journey to the Center of the Earth (the first modern 3D tech movie) and Drive Angry were filmed in 3D and lose nothing when viewed in either format while making significant gains viewed in 3D.

Didja notice they kept the 1970's mustaches as well? lol
    If you refer to the Red & Gold Leader spots, that was actually out-take footage from the original flick which was restored in R1.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

So I'm reading that various folks and reviewers greatly disliked the digital aspects of Cushing and Fisher. For me I loved that, loved they did that. One reviewer said it failed to pay respect to the dead (Cushing) but to me ... Cushing is critical to the story. He HAD to be in this one as he's in command of the Death Star once we get to Star wars EP4. Ya gotta explain that and I think they did it quite well. I also liked the touch of the young princess (Fisher) at the end as it was a great lead in to Star Wars. Some folks are painfully too picky on things.

I'm sad Carrie Fisher died. Honestly not surprised given her past history with drugs and alcohol, but still sad. From what I've read all her scenes in EP8 are shot and in the can so her death doesn't impact that movie, but will have to be addressed in EP9 ... either she dies or is digital again.

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Using digital reproductions of actors opens some doors. Another John Wayne western? Jimmy Stewart? James Dean? Marilyn Monroe? Would you have to get permission from their heirs?

Soon we will be able to create our own actors, who needs the real ones?

I did not mind the fake ones. I liked the way it tied in so nicely with New Hope.