+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jim/Downshifter can't connect

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    Derick, if you're interested, I can send you a simple PHP script that we use. It's kept in a help directory on our website, and simply displays the "requesting" IP for people. We call it "WhereAmI.php".

Oh, what the heck.... here it is:

Code:
    <?php

print <<<eoT
    <html>
    <head>
    	<title>I'm calling from {$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']}</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    	Your public network IP is <h1>{$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']}</h1>
    </body>
    </html>
    eoT;

?>
    Or you can just visit: ping.eu and your IP displays at the top of the page

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    Yay Im back thanks guys, and Gerry for the help...

Jim.....

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    NO NO NO NO! My goto site for that is ipchiken.com - I like the funky name and when you tell people to go to ipchicken.com the response is pretty much always the same: "Whaaatt?!"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Downshifter View Post
    Yay Im back thanks guys, and Gerry for the help...

Jim.....
    Yay from me too, and happy to help!!

Gerry
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    True, there are a lot of sites you can go to, but...

There are advantages to hosting your own. I removed from this the code that notifies us that someone accessed the page, and what IP they used to do it, so that we can validate their access to a site before they can create the email that tells us what their public IP is. We deal with a LOT of people behind NAT (network address translation) firewalls, who are convinced their IP is 10.n.n.n or 172.16.n.n, simply because it ISN'T an address in the 192.168.n.n range.

The other advantages is that it lets us know if the blockage is coming upstream of us. While we have services that are IP-limited, the IP checker isn't. If they can't get to it, they have an issue we can't help them with.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    True, there are a lot of sites you can go to, but...

There are advantages to hosting your own. I removed from this the code that notifies us that someone accessed the page, and what IP they used to do it, so that we can validate their access to a site before they can create the email that tells us what their public IP is. We deal with a LOT of people behind NAT (network address translation) firewalls, who are convinced their IP is 10.n.n.n or 172.16.n.n, simply because it ISN'T an address in the 192.168.n.n range.

The other advantages is that it lets us know if the blockage is coming upstream of us. While we have services that are IP-limited, the IP checker isn't. If they can't get to it, they have an issue we can't help them with.
    Yeah that wouldnt work here. There about 5 different ways to block at BBO, but primarily is the htaccess file. I have about 2mb worth of code in there blocking lots of foreign subnets. The one jim got caught up in was the nyc.fios.vzw.net subnet block I recently put in. Obviously that's a bad choice, but I also see about 20% more users online now, I guarantee they arent all legitimate. So google is my go-to for getting public IPs, because if they are blocked in the htaccess, they wont get to an IP lookup page either.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A lot depends upon where you place the .htaccess file.

In the old site, you had the forum software in a subdirectory; were that still the case, that directory could have the block, while the "read only" site would not need it.

Incidentally, if you haven't already done so, make sure that any "include" directories are tagged as no access from ANYWHERE. When PHP accesses a file in an include directory, it isn't subject to the .htaccess restrictions, so things that "showthread.php" includes are safe from being accessed directly. This is what gets a LOT of Wordpress sites in trouble - you can deeply link into directories that should never be accessed from the outside, and put up entire (illegal) websites within them.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A lot depends upon where you place the .htaccess file.

In the old site, you had the forum software in a subdirectory; were that still the case, that directory could have the block, while the "read only" site would not need it.

Incidentally, if you haven't already done so, make sure that any "include" directories are tagged as no access from ANYWHERE. When PHP accesses a file in an include directory, it isn't subject to the .htaccess restrictions, so things that "showthread.php" includes are safe from being accessed directly. This is what gets a LOT of Wordpress sites in trouble - you can deeply link into directories that should never be accessed from the outside, and put up entire (illegal) websites within them.
    Actually thats not accurate. We've not been in a /forum directory since vb 3.5. The htaccess uses modrewrite to create virtual directories like that. Wordpress does the same thing depending on how you have permalink setup.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    you damn geeks. I understood more people in the Philippines then I do in this thread (lol) however you want to word it my access is back...

Jim.....

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Downshifter View Post
    you damn geeks. I understood more people in the Philippines then I do in this thread (lol) however you want to word it my access is back...

Jim.....
    The geek factor is very strong in this one.

+ Reply to Thread