Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Weather Strategies

Flirting With The Redline thud300's Avatar
    Silk glove liners are great, just keep them away from the hooky side of the velcro on your gloves. Trust me on this
    1989 Kawasaki 454 LTD "Merlin", 1998 Kawasaki Concours "Connimus Prime"
    15,000 or so miles so far and still learning.
    COG # 12068 ATGATT # 1
    my YouTube channel: ToastRider

Many insects have given their lives in gutsy splatters of glory, that I might ride.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Went for a ride this morning. Temp in the high 30's. Was very nice for a short ride. For a longer ride, I would have needed better protection of my neck and hands. Was about 37 when I headed out, 39 when I got home.

Carving the Corners
    Bought a Joe Rocket survivor suit (billed as an all season one piece).... All season apparently does not include winter, unless you live in Southern California. Total fail at not letting wind reach skin in the arms, not great at core insulation either. The heated layer underneath kept me from becoming an ice cube in a saddle, but despite producing a good bit of heat could not keep my arms warm. Has anyone replaced the internal liner in one of these w/ something effective at keeping the wind out? If i can't find a better lining this suit will need to be returned as at the moment i consider it pretty much worthless for this time of year :/

Daniel - what temperatures are you riding in? And how long. I have a Joe Rocket coat that is my cold weather coat. It has three parts so it can be a summer coat too, but I have another coat I like better in the summer. My coat has a water resistant outer shell, a mesh inner liner and a fleece vest that can go under the mesh. Coldest I have ridden is mid to upper 30's. It is fine for short rides. I do not know how it would fare for a longer ride.

I have overpants that are pretty warm if I put a couple layers under. I dress like I am going skiing.

But I have no experience with distance. I suspect that it becomes more difficult to stay warm on longer rides. But that might be okay for me since I would stop a lot on a long ride.

I am trying to get geared up for a 600 mile ride each way. 1200 round trip. Probably break each way into two days and take it slow.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My R3 Aerostich is unlined - but the fleece they sell works well under it, at least down to zero F. Have to come up with a better way to keep my neck warm on the XT, though; The suit AND fleece end just a bit too soon!
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Warning! Use of this ingredient in ways not listed on the package is called 'cooking'. Do so at your own risk!"

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

I wore a wool scarf yesterday. But I think mid to upper 30's is as cold as I need to worry about. I do not see myself riding in 0 degrees any time soon.

Carving the Corners
    7 degrees F 40-45 mph speed, I lasted about 15 min before deciding on get fuel and Return to base, post haste...

Back before the Gerbings Extreme Element lost its ability to keep out rain (after 3 years of hard use)... and ironically after applying waterproof wash-in its ability to keep out wind, I had done a couple Ohio to NY runs over the PA mountains, one in mid February. In comparison the current gear is a massive disappointment

The good news is you don't need much mitigation to cope with 40-50F, unless you're riding long distances at speed. That's Spring and Fall morning weather for me, and I'll tell you exactly what I wear:

• Freeze-out snood to keep my neck warm.
    • Fly Aurora gloves. Good down to about 35F for my commute; warm, but light and flexible.
    • For my 40 minute commute I use either my Joe Rocket mesh jacket with all the liners in it plus a sweater, or my much heavier but very warm Fly winter jacket, but it's slightly overkill.
    • AGV riding pants with a liner, or if I'm being a scrub (often) I'll wear jeans with Frogg Togg overpants which are highly effective at stopping wind, right down to freezing conditions.
    2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS

Sullybiker