Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 & 500cc Rebels for 2017

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SH@UN View Post
    I always wanted one of those Honda Rune's, and most people thought they were ugly.
    Believe it or not you might get lucky and have your local dealership locate one still lurking within Honda's network of warehouses.

I liked them initially, aside from the rear fender that looks like a diaper they were cool bikes. I recall seeing one that was nicely customized sporting an abbreviated rear fender and that made it "right" more than anything else that was done --- and the rest was rather tasteful to boot.

It was only after Honda had over-hyped them to the point dealers thought they were selling CVO Harley models at MSRP+$10K, followed by Honda over-producing what was supposed to be a limited run that rivaled regular production runs of other models, followed by re-releasing them again, that the bike became universally known as "RUiNEd". Which consequently was completely forgiven by the MC community at large when they released those fugly things a few years ago (featured above) that were mislabeled as Valkyries.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    ...Kinda reminds me of the new Vulcan 650, and I think that bike is sharp as hell....
    I think it does too, and I have the new Vulcan S 650, it does resemble it a bit.

I think this looks pretty nice!

Gerry
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    I saw a striped custom of one already, it was really sharp!
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Blog Entries
    It's not a great rendering but look what a small splash of color does for the bike:

Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    I really dislike the way the tank just sort of perches on top of the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Matt View Post
    I really dislike the way the tank just sort of perches on top of the frame.
    You wouldn't want a Ducati then.
    I must be a pirate, because I'm obsessed with booty.

They should just call the new not-Rebels the "Honda Bruiser"...i.e., the not-Rebel cruiser. It might catch on...and wouldn't insult the Rebel legacy!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I like the look of the bike. I like the plain grey rendering. It makes sense to me that they would discontinue making the old Rebel. There are so many good low mileage Rebels out there, I cannot imagine why anyone would buy a new one. Therefore, Honda can't be selling too many of them.

And even though it may have nothing to do with the old Rebels, it is also true that many bikes and cars that carry the same name as their 1985 counterpart have little to do with their 1985 versions. It is just that they changed a little every few years rather than staying pretty much the same for 30 years and then completely changing.

I could see myself enjoying this bike very much as an around the town cruiser. Both my boys like the look of it.

It will be interesting to see if old Rebels start going up in value now that they don't make them anymore. Or will they go down in value now that there is a reason to buy a new one rather than an old one.

Shadow Shack going to get rich on his Rebel collection.....?

Blog Entries
    Only the 80s Rebels seem to maintain/increase their value, more so if you happen to have an unmolested pristine 450 or 86 Limited Edition 250 model.

I like the name "Bruiser" for these bikes, I thought "Outlaw" might be another good moniker for them.

One thing remained consistent with the bike: there is no decent lift point for them beyond wheel stands. The original Rebel had the exhaust system below the frame tubes, these bikes simply lack lower frame tubes once again leaving only the exhaust as a "lift point".
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    You wouldn't want a Ducati then.
    It would have to be the RIGHT Ducati.