Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Higway use: quiet helmet or normal helmet + good earplugs

I've noticed when wearing a "half helmet", where the ears are exposed, and wearing foam type ear plugs, that the foam itself forms a pathway for noise to enter the ear.
    Not that I ride wearing a half helmet very often, but I did in Hawai'i. That's all they had with their rental fleet...
    Last edited by NORTY; 10-04-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Anyone know-
    What is more damaging.
    A high pitched shriek, or a low pitched rumble of the same db?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    Of all the years I've been riding I've yet to install a single after-market exhaust. I've been tempted to do so on the Ducati cause ear plugs or not the sound of a Ducati with Termi's is pretty intoxicating. That said the great State of California has pretty much successfully eliminated all third party exhausts as illegal and where I think most CHiP's guy would give Termi's a pass when you combine the cost, the cost of mapping the ECU, the potential cost of fines, the emissions and registration problems it's just not a very prudent move. But I've been on a bunch of vintage day Ducati rides here and the sound of some of those old bikes is enough to still keep a set of Termi's on my radar, ear plugs or not.
    Having an "aftermarket" end can, the State won't bother with (unless you're being an ahole about it.) CARB has a problem with removing/relocating of the pollution control device. That's the catcon.
    They are also focusing on ecm modifications, in a big way. HD just paid a $16 million fine for this, and had a cease & destroy order from CARB.
    You're right about Termi's and Duc's though. I wish my Harley sounded like a 916...

Ever hear a Duc desmosedici with Termi's? Those sound angry.

High pitched sound tends to be more damaging. But I value my hearing - and from the data I've seen, even the quietest helmet will still have noise levels loud enough to do damage after 1-2 hours riding at highway speeds (that's cumulative, 1-2 hours in a 24 hour time period).

I wear ear plugs on every ride - every bike, every helmet, whether I'm going to the grocery store or to the next state over.
    As someone mentioned, hearing doesn't heal itself - its one way, downhill. Protect it as once its gone, there's no getting it back.

M'kay, time for me to find a helmet shop that allows test rides...
    I was going to buy the ear plugs anyway, but I guess I'll start looking for a better helmet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    [..] The helmet might save your life some day, ear plugs will not save your life. I put my money into good helmets and always have. [...]
    Although I agree that a more expensive helmet (400 euros) should offer a bit more protection than a standard issue (200 euro) helmet, I doubt it will make the difference between life or death when the fecal matter hits the fan...

Someone should invent a bike with an ejection seat!

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Having an "aftermarket" end can, the State won't bother with (unless you're being an ahole about it.) CARB has a problem with removing/relocating of the pollution control device. That's the catcon.
    They are also focusing on ecm modifications, in a big way. HD just paid a $16 million fine for this, and had a cease & destroy order from CARB.
    You're right about Termi's and Duc's though. I wish my Harley sounded like a 916...

Ever hear a Duc desmosedici with Termi's? Those sound angry.
    I guess I'm a bit gun shy from the kinda unreasonable full court press CHiP's engaged in a few years back. The safety checkpoints in a lot of the canyons were "roll your eyes" over the top. They left no prisoners and the utter slightest infraction was written up. And while it seems to have calmed a bit ya just never know and that not to mention I hate getting pulled over and even more so expensive tickets.

Yes I read about the Harley, Screaming Eagle fiasco. The new Euro emission standards has done a number on development of new Euro bikes as well. If I did Termi's I'd have some sort of ECU remap for sure so that'd add to my concerns. Even so..Christmas is coming...maybe if I get a bonus.....

No I've never heard a Desmosedici but I have "seen" a Demosedici RR at a Ducati ride-in down in Venice Beach. There's also a guy who rides early mornings (like me) out on the Snake that has a Hailwood 900 RR that snarls and snorts like nothing I've ever heard. The best sounding Ducati I've ever heard however was a 70's Bevel similar to this one posted on youtube under the title Ducati 750 Bevel Drive Twin - Great Sound

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Best place to shop for helmets is at the off season motorcycle shows, there are 2 types of shows to attend, the ones that have deals on end of season inventory and the ones that are geared to showcasing new products to dealers. I prefer the latter of those two, you won't find as many discount deals at the distributor shows :/ but they also don't sell as much boot polish, doo rags and beer nuts, it's mostly current motorcycle related wares.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    Ducati 750 Bevel Drive Twin - Great Sound
    That thing sounds downright evil!
    If Stephen King ever wants to create a two wheeled version of Chistine, he doesn't have to worry about the bike or soundtrack any more....

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    the important thing about hearing protection is PROPER FIT!

The foam ear plugs can do an outstanding job ... if they are inserted and seated properly. They can actually increase the volume and be worse on your hearing if they are inserted and/or seated improperly.

That's why I rarely wear the foam plugs. They are the backup to my custom-fit plugs on the highly annoying event I lose my customs. Now, the Custom fit were done by an audiologist and created by a hearing-aid company so they fit me perfectly and provide great protection for my hearing. But they are also a hell of a lot more money than the foam plugs even over the course of a year or two. But for me, one ear in particular, the foam plugs just won't seat properly so ... I opt for custom.
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeefmans View Post
    Although I agree that a more expensive helmet (400 euros) should offer a bit more protection than a standard issue (200 euro) helmet, I doubt it will make the difference between life or death when the fecal matter hits the fan...
    Google SNELL versus USDOT testing procedures. While USDOT may not apply to your neck of the woods, one approval test requires a single strike at a certain speed, the other requires two hits to the same area at the same speed. An overwhelming majority of the DOT-only approved helmets would not pass the second hit, and they are priced accordingly. While it would be quite rare for a second hit to the exact same area, it's nice to know the helmet actually offers that level of protection should you ever need it, versus one that can not.

I can't pretend to know what the European testing mandates, but I would wager that a "minimal acceptance" unit would fare in a similar manner compared to a "more extensively tested" unit in a similar fashion (assuming there is more than one level of testing that is).
    Last edited by Shadow Shack; 10-04-2016 at 09:27 PM.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com