Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Higway use: quiet helmet or normal helmet + good earplugs

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    I've been wearing the Hearos Xteme (the blue ones) for so long now I find it physically uncomfortable to not have them in, not to mention since I still make my living in audio it would be crazy not to overly protect my hearing. I've started out on rides and turned around and went home when I forget em just cause it felt so weird. I'd obviously then vote for ear plugs no matter the helmet. Quite frankly I've never owned a helmet that was even remotely quiet enough to trust without plugs. Like almost every other motorcycle gear issue it's only a matter of adjustment and time before they (earplugs) become second nature.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ride somewhere with no helmet law, then you'll appreciate just how quiet a noisy helmet really is.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Regarding the whistling. Have you adjusted the face shield? Most closed face helmets have some sort of screws holding the visor hinge mechanism to the shell. I like to ensure a good seal by loosening the mounting screws a little, pressing the visor back against the eye opening and then tightening down the screws again. Sometimes that eliminates some of the wind noise.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    I've been wearing the Hearos Xteme (the blue ones) for so long now I find it physically uncomfortable to not have them in
    Do you wear them for every ride or only rides when you expect to exceed a certain speed for a sustained period of time?

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    I wear earplugs every time I hit the street, without exception. If I forget them, I'll stop and put them in.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Now I'm all curious how many people have installed loud pipes on their motorcycle And wear ear plugs

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Do you wear them for every ride or only rides when you expect to exceed a certain speed for a sustained period of time?
    Like Mad Matt said below, every ride and without exception. That wind noise is so damaging and even at 35 or 40 it's enough to cause problems. I'm guessing wind noise at 40 mph is gettin close to 90dB and sustained that's enough to cause problems. But like I said I've been wearing them for so long now that when I do happen to forget em it "feels" wrong. Good thing is it only takes a 1/2 a block to realize I didn't put them in so easy enough to turn around. Unless I loose them (and I have while I'm out and about) I never ride without.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Now I'm all curious how many people have installed loud pipes on their motorcycle And wear ear plugs
    Of all the years I've been riding I've yet to install a single after-market exhaust. I've been tempted to do so on the Ducati cause ear plugs or not the sound of a Ducati with Termi's is pretty intoxicating. That said the great State of California has pretty much successfully eliminated all third party exhausts as illegal and where I think most CHiP's guy would give Termi's a pass when you combine the cost, the cost of mapping the ECU, the potential cost of fines, the emissions and registration problems it's just not a very prudent move. But I've been on a bunch of vintage day Ducati rides here and the sound of some of those old bikes is enough to still keep a set of Termi's on my radar, ear plugs or not.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I did and I don't.

Granted not all of my exhaust mods are "loud", one is quite mellow. Even with the one set that is loud I don't make it a habit of running the high RPMs required to produce the obnoxious sound levels.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    I've had a bikes that came with loud pipes. Loud pipes aren't typically what necessitates the ear plugs as the sound they produce is behind you and directed away from you. It's the wind that's so damaging.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various