Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Higway use: quiet helmet or normal helmet + good earplugs

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    Looks like the last version of the Fuel M1 modular helmet was weighing in at nearly 5 pounds. Holy cow at 5 pounds it better be quiet That's a heavy beanie for sure!
    Ah... you don't even notice it. Well worth it. It's just a tad warm in July, but I still wear it on trips of any distance on the interstate, and it keeps me warm in the fall and winter.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
    Looks like the last version of the Fuel M1 modular helmet was weighing in at nearly 5 pounds.
    Slap some carbon fiber stickers all over it for a dramatic weight loss.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

On a long trip I use a full face helmet, iPod and ear buds. I know some people say no-no about using ear buds, but dang it, I gotta have my Patsy Cline.
    I must be a pirate, because I'm obsessed with booty.

I am grateful for this thread and its contributors; I've only relatively recently firsthand learned the incredible benefit of earplugs while riding at highway speeds - after reading this thread I intend to make putting in earplugs part of putting on a helmet, which I wear for all riding.

Thanks, everyone!

I've never used earplugs (and my Harley is loud). I WANT to hear everything! Last year I bought a helmet that covers the ears and I don't like it. It muffles everything and I feel less in touch with my surroundings.

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrissyBiker View Post
    I've never used earplugs (and my Harley is loud). I WANT to hear everything! Last year I bought a helmet that covers the ears and I don't like it. It muffles everything and I feel less in touch with my surroundings.
    Of course I can’t speak for everyone here but I’d guess most, if not all of us regret the initial loss of connectivity full face helmets and ear-plugs induce. I guess there’s two elements to consider here. First, it really is very difficult to argue that even short term exposer to certain frequencies at a fix dB level causes palpable and irreversible hearing damage. So that’s something every rider should know even if their decision ultimately is the tangible feeling of no plugs outweighs the hearing problems that may occur. I think we all make a series of compromises just by the very nature of motorcycle riding and I make no judgement as to what may or may not be right in choosing gear.

The second thought here comes from my own journey of admittedly slow “gearing up”. It really unfolded over a period of decades as to what I now insist on using. That said years ago I had a friend go down on what essentially was his chin. Full face helmet’s were really and decidedly NOT the norm at the time but the incident haunted me and I found myself shopping a Full Face. I hated it...absolutely hated it for all the reasons you’ve mentioned. I did however get used to it very, very quickly. The same goes for my Hearos blue ear plugs. I just got really comfortable riding with em. Needless to say the distillation here is it’s now nearly impossible for me to ride comfortably and confidently without certain components of gear. It was however and as I mentioned a slow journey getting there

I hope this doesn’t come across as one of those judgmental gear wearer vs non-gear wearer posts. I absolutely respect everyone’s choice of gear and I do understand the idea of a more connected feeling when riding. Just food for thought and offered in the spirit of conversation.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    I have been meaning to use ear plugs more, but have not gotten into the habit of it. However, I have found that a windscreen seems to reduce the need. I wear a full face helmet and with the windscreen, I do not feel like I am subjecting my ears to too much abuse. But I am not sure though.

My brother had an experience like Joseph Hanna. A friend of his virtually ground his chin off in a crash with an open face helmet. My brother immediately went out an bought a full face helmet and never road again without one.

Flirting With The Redline Joseph Hanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    I have been meaning to use ear plugs more, but have not gotten into the habit of it. However, I have found that a windscreen seems to reduce the need. I wear a full face helmet and with the windscreen, I do not feel like I am subjecting my ears to too much abuse. But I am not sure though.

My brother had an experience like Joseph Hanna. A friend of his virtually ground his chin off in a crash with an open face helmet. My brother immediately went out an bought a full face helmet and never road again without one.
    Yea it's really tough to tell unless you mounted a dB meter inside the helmet for monitoring. Of course by and large it's wind noise that appears to do the most hearing damage at the quickest rate. At this point Sorg every now and again I'll set out for a ride and forget my plug's. I'm so used to them and so comfortable with them I always return home to get em. Honestly at this point they're not a safety nuisance but something I absolute must have for confidence. Much the same as my (growing) collection of Full Faces the Hearo's are now simply an essential element of riding ESPECIALLY if it's a tad more aggressive ride. If your into such things

Hearos Rock N Roll earplugs are choice while riding and at rock/metal shows. They do the job of taking out wind noise but still allow me to hear my Sena speaker/mic system at a low volume. $8 bucks a pair on ebay, so I have a few sets laying around.