Thread: Cascadia

Cascadia

2000 miles in 6 days
    This was a 7 day (that became 6) road trip along the east side of the Cascade mountain range in Oregon down into northern California. Then it was over to the Lost Coast of California and back up 101 for awhile, before scooting back over the coastal mountains in search of twistier roads. Six of us in total, 3 Gold Wings, 1 BMW 1200GS, 1 Ducati ST3 and my Versys 650. It would be street only but plenty of remote roads in who knows what condition.

The lava fields outside of Sisters, OR.

Dee Wright Observatory off of Hwy 242 (McKenzie Hwy)

Two of the Hondapottami

Crater Lake. My photos don't do it justice

First view of California

View from FR-1 in CA, a paved (sort of) forest road that ran along several ridges. Stunning road

Avenue of the Giants

First view of Pacific and the California fog bank

Oregon Coastline

Trusty steed

Saw many pastel colored landscapes like this

Sand dunes along Oregon coast

In all it was a fantastic trip but some lessons learned:
    1. Make sure everyone knows what time we hit the road in the morning. Some tension over that as some folks didn't even emerge from their tent till 9am
    2. Study the GPS route more closely before leaving as what the unit decides to do is not always what I'd planned to do.
    3. Everyone should ride a Versys or a GS. They were the perfect bikes for this trip. One of the GW's went down after hitting 2 pot holes in quick succession. I just floated over them on my V

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Noticed you have stock shield on your Versys. I just ordered a Madstad shield. Have you ever considered an after market wind shield?

I have the Givi tall screen which I put on in the winter. I love that screen, very effective at keeping the elements off of me and creating a downdraft which keeps rain off my visor (important here in the north west). However in the summer I run the stock screen. As well as letting more air hit my chest, I do a lot of off road riding and I don't want a tall screen that I could hit with my head if I mess up. I also have another after market screen that I can't remember the name of. Small with a laminar lip. Never did notice much difference between that and the stock so it sits in the closet these days.