Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harley-Davidson to pay $12 million fine over motorcycle emissions

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Harley-Davidson to pay $12 million fine over motorcycle emissions

Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Jesse James knows the feeling...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    I love how consumers in 49 states have to buy products that have been approved by 1.

Dealing with this crap now over our deisel VW. It gets too good of MPG for CA, so we have to decrease the MPG or get rid of it.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Obviously you are kidding about gas mileage being too good. The issue is emissions. Reduced mileage is a by product of compliance with emissions standards.

Must be frustrating to have purchased a car in good faith and be forced to modify it to perform worse.

But I thought they violated federal standards not just CA standards. Is that not so?

I have been curious about whether owners who do not care about emissions will be forced to bring their cars into compliance. What is the enforcement mechanism in states like FL that do not test cars?

Also wondering about other aftermarket performance mechanisms. My brother put something on his F250 that increases power and mileage. I wonder if that violates emission standards.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Everything" aftermarket violates emissions .. ever see that sticker or stamp on exhausts and parts that say "not approved for on road use" or "for competition use off-road only"?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    There must be something you can buy after market that is DOT compliant. I have considered putting something on my Harley that is quieter and simpler. I would want it to be DOT compliant. But I suspect that you are right about after market performance parts.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Uh oh, it looks like Oakland PD will now have to re-examine their "loud pipes save lives" policy on their resulting mandated aftermarket exhaust equipped patrol bikes.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Being non-DOT / EPA approved hasn't stopped anyone from buying farkle, it's lack of enforcement that keeps the aftermarket "go fast" goodies alive. IMO EPA is going after the big guys because small volume manufacturers don't have much money to hand over.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Harley has their own in-house line of accessories much like the other big manufacturers. The difference is their in-house brand offers non-EPA approved exhaust, the others do not. This will surely be the demise of Screamin' Eagle exhaust for the Mo Co (although SE will still be pumping out everything else for the brand, at least until DOT goes after their lighting as the inevitable next jump on the big company lawsuit bandwagon).
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    Obviously you are kidding about gas mileage being too good. The issue is emissions. Reduced mileage is a by product of compliance with emissions standards.

Must be frustrating to have purchased a car in good faith and be forced to modify it to perform worse.

But I thought they violated federal standards not just CA standards. Is that not so?

I have been curious about whether owners who do not care about emissions will be forced to bring their cars into compliance. What is the enforcement mechanism in states like FL that do not test cars?

Also wondering about other aftermarket performance mechanisms. My brother put something on his F250 that increases power and mileage. I wonder if that violates emission standards.

Actually, I'm only kinda kidding. The idea that burning more fuel puts less emmissions in the air than burning less fuel is pretty idiotic in my opinion. But apparently nitrogen is only good for soil and plants and doesn't belong in the air. As for CA standards vs. the EPA. CA laws are more strict than all other states and apparently more strict than the .gov as well. So if it passes in CA, it will pass everywhere. So they basically get to set the standard, unfortunately. Kinda like the wrench I have in my toolbox that is safe to use in 49 states. But if you take it to California, it will give you cancer. At least that's what the package said.

As of right now, there is no "fix" for the emmissions on the VW's. And you have the option of refusing the fix "if" or when it becomes available. The problem with opting out, is that in some states your car "could" become illegal if their emmissions standards get tighter. Such as CA, where it would be illegal. But as long as your state allows it to be registered there, you're good. However, you also have to keep in mind that fixed vs not fixed will also affect the resale/trade values. And right now, no one knows which way is better in the long term as far as value is concerned. So instead of gambling on it, we're considering taking the 22k they're offering and walking away from it.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various