Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harley-Davidson to pay $12 million fine over motorcycle emissions

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Four valve heads will permit a vastly better combustion chamber shape while simultaneously improving airflow. Four valve engines will be able to produce the same power as two valve and will generate considerably improved emissions. More power, less pollution, improved economy. All from being able adapt to better combustion chamber technology and reduced reliance on compromised cam profiles and timing.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    I worked in a Harley-Davidson dealership and spent most of my time with new customers. The Screaming Eagle tuners were indeed H-D parts, but it was clearly noted that the tuners were developed and intended for competition use only. As I recall, owners had to acknowledge this in some way. Here's how the parts were sold: Owner wants loud pipes, "for safety". Said exhaust is installed and the owner brings the bike back complaining of poor fueling (tuning). Shop say, "Yes, to support the added 'performance' of your new exhaust you now need this (shows the part). $350 for the part, $350 for dyno tuning. Since motorcycles are no longer emission tested here in Arizona, the owners did not even need to know how to disable the tuner.

I think that it would be pretty safe to say that NONE of our customers ever took their bikes to the track. Even to Friday Night Drags. Well, other than as spectators.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    If I read this correctly, Harley bikes are just dandy in stock form and they are paying a fine because their consumers can't read fine print correctly.
    :/ What part of 'for competition use only' is not understandable

I'm afraid I agree with H-D, they should not need to pay a fine because their customers choose to be clueless.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    I think that it would be pretty safe to say that NONE of our customers ever took their bikes to the track. Even to Friday Night Drags. Well, other than as spectators.
    Their criteria for "competition" is how many beers they can process before they waddle out to the parking lot to their bikes...

I've seen it.
    Usually, the dealership will have the customer sign an affidavit stating "Offload use only." I know I did for my jetting kit on the Harley I traded in last Feb. I was a flagrant polluter for the next 21 years, I guess. (Especially when I ran 100LL/92 nolead [25-75%] in the tank!) Took me about a year and a half to go thru a 55 gal drum. Sure ran good! Spark bolts didn't like it tho! All that lead...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.