Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Total noob here... did I do good?

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Awyrdo View Post
    AZridered, care to elaborate?
    It is hard to define. Add ons such as windshields and touring trunks would seem likely to make a bike wind sensitive, but not necessarily. Sometimes, it must just be the overall shape A few yers ago a friend and I were returning to Phoenix and came across very strong and gusting as we passed through Tucson. Both of our bikes were similarly sized, styled, and equipped (adv bikes). My bike was about 125 lb. lighter though and was very minimally affected by the wind. My friend however, a highly skilled and experienced rider, was having a bear of a time with his heavier bike. Not far north of Tucson he signaled to pull over and told me that he did not feel that he could safely continue to Phoenix (only 80 miles away) and turned back to Tucson. Weight did not help. We both had hard saddle bags mounted and my bike had a steering mounted windshield while his was frame mounted (normally considered to be better in wind).

I have a BMW with a frame mounted fairing that was 'wind tunnel' optimized in the mid '70s. While not a heavy bike (about 550 lb), it stability is virtually unaffected by high wind or gusting wind. I had a Suzuki 750, fairly heavy at about 625 lb, that was drastically affected by crosswind. It could be scary to ride. No windshield, no bags. Go figure.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the effect of the COLOR of the motorcycle on how it handles the wind has pretty much been found to be negligible. But I could be wrong on that.
    Orange is best.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    I have a BMW with a frame mounted fairing that was 'wind tunnel' optimized in the mid '70s. While not a heavy bike (about 550 lb), it stability is virtually unaffected by high wind or gusting wind…..

True this.

I have been known to use my K100RS as a wind break for others riding next to me, you just lean the bike slightly more towards the wind then your body and it pokes a hole through it. Frame mounted fairings will rarely imply forces through the handlebars, handlebar mounted fairings and windshields can hardly not do that.

Swirling turbulent wind immediately behind transport trucks is the worst, avoid following the big trucks where you can, pass them quickly and seek out calm air.
    also be aware that those trucker guys sometime pee into a large paper cup and toss it out the window rather than pull over for a pee break watch out for that!

add: in the early 80's Germany had rules to limit motorcycle horsepower to 100bhp, BMW's solution to that and to build a motorcycle that was still competitive to higher horsepower Japanese bikes was to develop more wind slippery bikes. The K1 was the ultimate in that development concept and actually had a drag coefficient that was low enough, that the faster you went the better it gets … is a very cool experience to ride a bike that actually feels better the faster you go!

Thanks for the explanation! It'll be interesting to see how wind affects the Ascot, being a naked bike.

So, something stupid. Unnecessary stress. I just received a call from my apartment complex saying someone claims I scratched their car with my bike. The thing is, I haven't moved the bike since they day after I bought it, when I rode back and forth in the parking lot for about 30 minutes. Very few other cars were present at that time, and I'm positive nothing happened when I parked it afterward. So my bike hasn't moved for a good six days, and I can't imagine how *my* bike could have scratched their car unless they pulled too far forward when parking and bumped it. I told the apartment complex this, and they said they would relay the message.

I'm slightly concerned now, though, that this neighbor may hold a grudge against me for something I didn't do. I don't want to wake up one morning and find my bike vandalized.

Has anyone had a situation like this before?...

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Awyrdo View Post
    I'm slightly concerned now, though, that this neighbor may hold a grudge against me for something I didn't do. I don't want to wake up one morning and find my bike vandalized.
    Well, if that happens, there's always escalation!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

ask him how fast he was going when he hit your bike

I've never had a bike vandalized per se but I parked in a pealer bar parking lot once and a couple of 1%er's knocked my Ascot over my brother was riding my BMW and they didn't bother it one out of two is not bad and if they really felt compelled to knock a bike over I was happy they vented on the cheap one. When we were leaving we heard some nasty remakes being issued against Japanese motorcycles I just ignored the fat boys and popped a big ass wheelie when I was exiting the parking lot.

You should maybe get a motorcycle cover it might help to disguise your bike, possibly render it less noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearnin View Post
    Well, if that happens, there's always escalation!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I was going to recommend booby traps, but strangely enough I think it's illegal to booby trap your own property

Carving the Corners
    Suggestion: replace the clutch lever w/ an adjustable one. Very easy to do the bracket goes in just like the OEM bit, difference is either a knob or small lever lets you change the clutch position a bit. Also newer ones are hinged to reduce damage in a crash. If you're scouring a junkyard for parts whatever you find in good condition works. but if you can get one later on these are nice.

Image provided for example, not necessarily one that will fit your ride.
    And for some reason i had a heck of a time finding a linkable image so you get a picture of a brake lever
    but same idea on the other side

Whatever you do, don't buy a used one off fleabay that says it just has paint missing from normal wear and it looks kinda like somebody hit it with a torch and straightened it.
    … because somebody hit it with a torch and straightened it

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBlue View Post
    Suggestion: replace the clutch lever w/ an adjustable one. Very easy to do the bracket goes in just like the OEM bit, difference is either a knob or small lever lets you change the clutch position a bit. Also newer ones are hinged to reduce damage in a crash. If you're scouring a junkyard for parts whatever you find in good condition works. but if you can get one later on these are nice.

Image provided for example, not necessarily one that will fit your ride.
    And for some reason i had a heck of a time finding a linkable image so you get a picture of a brake lever
    but same idea on the other side
    I have levers like this on my Versys. A word of "newbie" caution. Make sure you are careful that you know where the friction zone is when you take off. I got on my bike after my kids rode. I had the levers set further out from the handle. My kids like it as close to the handle as they can get it. I got ready go and started to engage the clutch and it took off sooner than I expected. Nothing bad happened. I just disengaged it and it was fine. But in another circumstance it could have resulted in a little oops.

If your bike is in a parking lot, for example, maybe some passer by might mess with it.