Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Getting out there for the first time

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    Lots of goid advice here. I am just going to recommend to the OP (and state my shock that no one else has yet) to warch Captain Crash's videos on youtube. I learned a lot from him when I was starting out. Hete is a very relevant one for you, Red: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdMGeiNmYwM
    2009 Kawi Vulcan 500 LTD- Woodrow

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    Actually, the u-turn is a 'nice to have' skill not a potential life saver like other skills
    It's not just nice to have, later on in life it can be downright fun!

I'm creeping up on two decades worth of riding and I still love a good PLP session.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Red I would pay particular attention to those of us with RiderCoach under our name ... and I am not one. I have a great deal of riding experience ... but not a great deal of teaching brand new rider experience ... I send new riders to the BRC. These folks are used to dealing with the issues faced by brand new riders.

One little thing by Lee Parks though. In his book Total Control on practicing he says something like ... "care about how you do in practice ... but not too much..." I had to read that twice ... and then think about it. When we demand perfection out of ourselves it adds to the stress ... performance demand stress. I have seen excellent pilots flunk flight tests because they made a mistake ... and they were ate up about that mistake for the rest of the checkride...which caused another dozen mistakes.

There are two important things we need to realise for a happy life motorcycling or otherwise. We are imperfect. We can do better. (and when we do ... we will still be imperfect ... )
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    My instructors told me that I over analyze and that I just need to ride.
    For those of us with analytic minds, I do not think it is possible to over analyze, but it is possible to under ride. The analytic part of our mind can help us figure things out, but it cannot ride a motorcycle. Too many things have to happen too fast and at the same time for the analytic part of the mind to direct the activity. Only time on the bike will transfer what the analytic part of the brain has learned to the instinctual part of the brain so it can be used to operate the bike.

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... LoDownSinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    For those of us with analytic minds, I do not think it is possible to over analyze, but it is possible to under ride. The analytic part of our mind can help us figure things out, but it cannot ride a motorcycle. Too many things have to happen too fast and at the same time for the analytic part of the mind to direct the activity. Only time on the bike will transfer what the analytic part of the brain has learned to the instinctual part of the brain so it can be used to operate the bike.
    It really helps to have already visualized and have a plan formed for situations, I guess you could call it pre-analysis.

I really recommend the book Street Strategies by David Hough for this. It is a series of one-page scenarios, a few of which are going to be things that although somewhat likely to happen, you probably haven't thought of. It's great training for how to react in traffic and help you pre-formulate plans for getting out of trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    put the whiffer in the dilly

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    And if you really want to over-pre-post analyse, the Upper Half of the Motorcycle by Bernd Spiegel is peerless.
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Quote Originally Posted by LoDownSinner View Post
    It really helps to have already visualized and have a plan formed for situations, I guess you could call it pre-analysis.
    This is an excellent point!

Flirting With The Redline thud300's Avatar
    Here's another good video from Captain Crash that demonstrates turning technique in close quarters.

Gravel is a little worrisome, but if it's packed down you can ride it slow without too much drama.
    Last edited by thud300; 06-05-2016 at 01:09 AM.
    Returning neglected Kawasakis to riding glory since 2014
    1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera", 1998 Concours "Connimus Prime", 1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
    COG #12068 Member of American Voyager Association #ATGATT or stay home
    my YouTube channel: ToastRider

Good one Thud300 - that looks like the technique Sxy Rdr described in her post.

I use a similar technique, but not that tight. I am going to work on being able to do it tighter. Very useful. Thanks!

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I.....I broke the foot peg off the bike and now the metal part that attaches the foot peg to the bike body is loose...
    Hi Red, been there and done that. I called them the "bobble-drops!" I'm glad you are relatively OK.

From your profile picture, it looks like you have a Suzuki S40? I'm not quite sure. If so, I used to have this bike (when it was called Suzuki Savage). I have a spare, albeit slightly bent foot peg, but still very usable.

I'm happy to get it to you if it will fit & help.

Keep up your practicing!

Gerry

PS, I sent you a PM through this forum, let me know.
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -