Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BMW R1200GS ... the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles(?) ... 2005 vs 2015

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
    F700GS. The transition from wet to dry was unsettling compared to my Tourances.
    I will look into the Tourances for the next set. Do you have them on your 650GS?

When you say from wet to dry, do you mean pavement or dirt? I ride very cautiously on wet pavement.

Thanks!

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    I do have the Tourances on the 650. I mean the behaviour on wet pavement is not as predictable as on dry pavement.
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
    I do have the Tourances on the 650. I mean the behaviour on wet pavement is not as predictable as on dry pavement.
    Good to know. I have not ridden them much on wet pavement.

Tourance and pavement like bread and butter ... Think "Soccer Mom's" SUV ... kinda like my R1200GS's current Anakees ... they barely give a nod to potential off-road ... (My excuse is I am using my GS as my primary 2-up bike 95% hiway ... I had Shinko 705s on my prior GS because I was willing to throw it down the trail ... )

People say Trailwing as if it's one kind of tire tread ... it's at least a dozen different tread patterns ... here's a few http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...20trail%20wing So when someone disses Trailwings ... which do they mean ...

Here are the current Tourances ...

Here is one model of Trail Wing ...

Now there are factors other than tread that influence how a tire works such as tire material and carcass stiffness ... but seriously ... which of those tires do you want off-road ...

....and for what it's worth ... the Trail Wings I have time on were very good wet pavement tires ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

My trailwings are much different than those. Mine are "41's" front and "42's" rear. They are much more road oriented looking than the picture OBX showed. But less road oriented looking than the Tourances. The Tourances look like my Michelin Pilot Road 4s I have on the Versys. I like those tires a lot for road use. But of course, they would not do well off road.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    Good point, OBX. There is a lot of variety.

I do ride mostly pavement. I am not taking my GS that far off road, I have the Sherpa with IRC TR8s.
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Might want to consider Pirelli Scorpion Trail II. Other Ulysses riders have given them good reviews for both pavement and hard-pack trails.

Quote Originally Posted by AZridered View Post
    Might want to consider Pirelli Scorpion Trail II. Other Ulysses riders have given them good reviews for both pavement and hard-pack trails.
    Those may be what we have on the CB500X. We are planning to replace those tires soon. The rear tire has two plugs in it and they have about 3,500 miles on them. Still some life in the tread, but my son is riding it and it make me nervous to have the plugs so planning to replace both. He is all on road. Might wander down a dirt road occasionally, but really looking for a pure road tire. I was thinking of the Michelin Pilot Road 4s like I have on the Versys. Any thoughts on a good choice for the CB500X?

Something that is puncture resistant would be nice since he has picked up two punctures in the last year.

Based on my observation all of the manufacturers have made a shift from an 80-20 adventure tire to a 90-10 tire especially respect to Anakees and Tourances and looking at the Trail 2 vs. the previous Scorpion it looks like Pirelli has followed suit. Reality is most "adventure" bikes spend very little time off-road.

Sorge if your CB500x is 95% road you probably will be fine with the excellent Pilot Road 4. In my experience I need "knobs" when it's gnarly ... like steeper uphlll/downhill, sand, mud ... For fairly level jeep roads I just air down a bit and the "poser" Anakees do fine ... I just get my ass out of the seat for the more interesting parts ...

A few years ago I watched a guy ride his r1200GS shod with the previous model Tourances which were a slightly more off-road suitable tire. We were riding with a jeep group and the "road" was most definitely "unimproved". He did great the 1st 2 hours ... then a fall. Another fall about 30 minutes later. In the last 1 1/2 hours he dropped the bike 7 or 8 times. I believe this was in part fatigue ... but I truly believe the biggest reason is he had lost confidence. The bike,even with those tires, was capable ... His excuse later was 'if he had had the Shinko 705s I was running he wouldn't have fallen' ... which was pure BS ...

Tires help ... but only incrementally. I watched Jimmy Lewis take customers bikes of all sizes with all kinds of tires and ride steep steep hills and deep sand guys on KTM 500s w/ full bore non-DOT knobbies couldn't do.

If you 'think' Trail Wings' are "deathwings" ... you probably can't do crap with them. If you think they are the cat's ass ... you will do much better. In off-road confidence is 50% of the game ... I have little doubt part of the reason the Dunlop 606 (r) and Pirelli MT21 (f) work so good on my DRZ is because I believe they work good ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    If you 'think' Trail Wings' are "deathwings" ... you probably can't do crap with them. If you think they are the cat's ass ... you will do much better. In off-road confidence is 50% of the game ... I have little doubt part of the reason the Dunlop 606 (r) and Pirelli MT21 (f) work so good on my DRZ is because I believe they work good ...
    This makes sense to me. I think the Trailwings are pretty good for my "swiss army needs".