Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulling up next to other bikers at stop lights

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    I do exactly this. I don't know their skills. I don't know their mental stability. For all I know, the other rider will take offense and lash out in a way that I can't get away from. I don't share lanes or parking spaces with riders I don't know. Sure, it sounds paranoid, but road rage is real here. It's hard enough to keep myself calm...no reason to poke someone else with a stick.
    No probably not paranoid, probably smart. All it takes is one having a bad day for me to roll up and get on his last nerve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    I would think that, if staggering is done correctly, they should not be in your blind spot at all.
    Done correctly being the key part of that statement. Someone who pulls up staggered behind me at a light might pull away correctly and might not. Not sure that is much different than right next to you and waiting. Either way they have to do it correctly.

Still, it seems staggering at stoplights is best practice.

So my version of "staggering done correctly" would be to stop with my front tire maybe 5 feet behind his rear tire and on the opposite side of the lane. Then wait for him to get up, running, stable and a couple car lengths ahead then start up and fall into position a safe distance back depending on speed.

Would that meet your definition of "done correctly"?
    Last edited by Sorg67; 03-03-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really don't have any problems pulling alongside anyone or having them do the same with me. Maybe my far-from-stock bikes have something to do with it, I don't know...anyways my only negative experience from pulling alongside someone at a light:

http://shadow-shack.20m.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SS' Dudeman Files
    I was waiting in the left turn lane of a red light and a guy riding a big-inch bike whose brand shall not be named made a left turn from the through street crossing from my right. As he executed this maneuver his side stand fell off along the way, bouncing and clattering until it landed practically at my feet. I duck walked forward a bit, leaned over & picked it up, and stuffed it into my saddlebag. When my light turned green I made a U-turn and took off to catch the guy so I could give it back.

I weaved and cut through a bit of traffic to catch the guy at the next light, and just as I pulled alongside Dudeman applicant #8345927 he cussed me out with a lengthy diatribe of "jap-crap" propaganda. I patiently waited and when he was finally finished spouting off about my insulting him via pulling up next to/tarnishing his "holy grail on the pedestal" bike, I just shook my head, smiled, and simply said "I know something that you're about to find out the hard way" and simply let him go his way as I went my separate way.

I turned into the nearest shopping center parking lot and deposited that kickstand into a dumpster, but I would have paid good money to watch him park that bike at his destination.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    I try to read the "body language." (Or send the "body language").

If whoever it was has obviously seen me behind them, and then pulls up to the light way to one side, I read it as an invitation to pull up next to him. If they pull up barely to one side, I read it as a "don't."
    I try to send the same signals depending on my mood or instinct at the time.

But that's probably just me.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    I try to read the "body language." (Or send the "body language").

If whoever it was has obviously seen me behind them, and then pulls up to the light way to one side, I read it as an invitation to pull up next to him. If they pull up barely to one side, I read it as a "don't."
    I try to send the same signals depending on my mood or instinct at the time.

But that's probably just me.

Tom
    That makes sense.

For those of you the don't mind pulling up or being "pulled" upon, what's your position on riding side by side? 2 abreast, so to speak.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    For those of you the don't mind pulling up or being "pulled" upon, what's your position on riding side by side? 2 abreast, so to speak.
    Two abreast as in side by side in the same lane (lane sharing)? Never, not even with someone I know.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Two abreast as in side by side in the same lane (lane sharing)? Never, not even with someone I know.
    Me either, no way not ever. No lane splitting either.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar

Not a chance, I don't want to get pulled over and get a ticket.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    [img]

Not a chance, I don't want to get pulled over and get a ticket.
    Unlike lane splitting and filtering, riding side by side is not illegal in the states, at least not in mine. That said, I don't do it. However, there are a few people I've ridden thousands of miles with and one on particular (who used to be very active on this board), rides close enough behind me that I can't see him in my mirror. I can hear him and it only takes a slight head check down and to the right to see his front tire. And because I'm usually on a much heavier bike and 2-up, I have to brake sooner at stops. So when I start braking, he usually passes me until we get stopped.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various