Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulling up next to other bikers at stop lights

RiderCoach 3000 Posts! Prof._HH's Avatar
    If I'm riding with them, I'll pull up beside at a stop. Otherwise, stagger behind. Not really because there could be a negative reaction. Like Ty said - you don't know anything about some random rider on the road. Why take any unnecessary risk? Besides, I like to have my personal space & don't appreciate random people violating that, why do it to someone else?
    My boss said to dress for the job I want, not the one I have.

Now, I'm waiting for my meeting with H.R. about my blue tights and cape.
    FML

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof._HH View Post
    Besides, I like to have my personal space & don't appreciate random people violating that, why do it to someone else?
    This was really the main thrust of my question. I like to meet random people and I have found that most people are receptive to friendliness.

I have found that most bikers are very receptive. Some more than others, but I have never gotten a negative reaction. Of course who know what they were thinking. Maybe they give me a polite smile while they think A$$hole.....

But for me, part of the fun is being completely open to the world. That is part of the joy of getting out of the cage. Getting into the world. I talk to everybody. Even people in cars with the windows down. Although I usually do not get as friendly a response from those people as I do from other bikers.

RiderCoach 5000 Posts!
    I don't pull up next to the person unless I know them and know they know how to ride. I do not appreciate strangers pulling up next to me.

If it's a motorofficer I know, I'll pull up next to him but in today's environment, I would err on the side of caution and give the officer his/her personal space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sxy Rdr View Post
    know they know how to ride.
    I can appreciate the courtesy of giving people their space. I will give that some thought.

But as far as their riding ability. I have a hard time seeing that as a big risk. I wait for them to pull well ahead before I start. I do that no matter who I ride with. So it is really no different that staggering. If they veer off, they will not get in my way unless they can make a 90 degree turn from a dead stop.

The only difference would be if they just fell over sitting at the light. I suppose that happens. And if it did, they might knock me off my bike. But I do not do it unless they are well over on one side of the lane so there is plenty of room. They would not hit me with their bike, but if they came off their bike as it fell, they might hit me. So that is a risk, but it would seem that risk is fairly low. But if it happened, it could knock me into the next lane and I could get hit by another vehicle.... that would not be good.

Does not seem like the risk part is very high. I do see the courtesy part though.
    Last edited by Sorg67; 03-03-2016 at 02:21 PM.

I don't like folks pulling up along side me. I'll smile and be polite to you but now I have to concentrate on what you do when I pull away. I don't know what you're going to do when I pull away so instead of focussing solely on cross traffic now I have to pay attention to where you are, and it's probably in my blind spot. Talk to me at gas stations or restaurants is fine, traffic lights not so much.
    Last edited by alba; 03-03-2016 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    I don't like folks pulling up along side me. I'll smile and be polite to you but now I have to concentrate on what you do when I pull away. You wait and give them plenty of room but they don't know that you're going do that. Instead of focussing solely on cross traffic now I have to pay attention to where you are, and it's probably in my blind spot. Talk to me at gas stations or restaurants is fine, traffic lights not so much.
    That is a fair point. I would still worry about someone staggered behind me being in my blind spot, but I guess by doing so, you are clearly communicating your intention to let him go first. Whereas if you pull up right next to him, he cannot be sure that that is your intention.

And I suppose distracting my attention by chatting is potentially risky as well. Especially for a newbie like me. And if he is a newbie, even if he does not get in my way, he might make some other mistake as a result of having his focus distracted.

I guess I should abandon the practice. Too bad, I have met some really nice people.

Do what you feel is the right thing to do. I don't like it when folks do it to me but I may be in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by twizted1 View Post
    If it's not someone I know, I will stagger behind them and stop, but never beside them. I know nothing of their riding skills/abilities. I don't want to find out the hard way that they have trouble taking off when they veer into me or my bike or drop theirs over on mine.
    I do exactly this. I don't know their skills. I don't know their mental stability. For all I know, the other rider will take offense and lash out in a way that I can't get away from. I don't share lanes or parking spaces with riders I don't know. Sure, it sounds paranoid, but road rage is real here. It's hard enough to keep myself calm...no reason to poke someone else with a stick.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Quote Originally Posted by alba View Post
    Do what you feel is the right thing to do. I don't like it when folks do it to me but I may be in the minority.
    No, from the feedback I am getting it seems you are in the majority. Perhaps the reaction I think I am getting is just people being polite.

And, at my experience level, I should probably keep my head in the game while I am on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorg67 View Post
    That is a fair point. I would still worry about someone staggered behind me being in my blind spot, but I guess by doing so, you are clearly communicating your intention to let him go first. Whereas if you pull up right next to him, he cannot be sure that that is your intention.
    I would think that, if staggering is done correctly, they should not be in your blind spot at all.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff