Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulling up next to other bikers at stop lights

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar

Pulling up next to other bikers at stop lights

If I come up behind another biker at a stop light and he leaves me room, I will usually pull up next to him and say hello. Every time I have done this it has gone well. They all seem happy to say hello. Even the Harley riders. hahaha

When the light turns green I always wait and let them go first. My standard practice when riding with someone is that we do not start up at the same time and the one who gets there first pulls away first.

Anyway, I was curious whether this is generally acceptable biker behavior or if some might consider it rude or invading their space.

RiderCoach We've stopped counting... twizted1's Avatar
    If it's not someone I know, I will stagger behind them and stop, but never beside them. I know nothing of their riding skills/abilities. I don't want to find out the hard way that they have trouble taking off when they veer into me or my bike or drop theirs over on mine.
    Rain or Shine 8 - May 20-22, 2016 - Monterey, TN

No matter what goes to hell, always rise from the ashes, stronger.

I had not considered that possibility. So I guess if you were at a light you would not want me to pull up next to you.
    Last edited by Sorg67; 03-03-2016 at 07:53 AM.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    It's OK, you can pull up next to me, I won't hit you

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    It's OK, you can pull up next to me, I won't hit you
    In asking the question, I had not considered and was not worried about somebody hitting me. I wait and let them go first. If they are going to veer off or fall, I will be behind them and not in their way unless they fall over before they get going - possible I suppose, but it seems pretty unlikely. And I do not pull up unless there is plenty of room. If they fell over, I would not be close enough for them to hit me anyway.

I was more wondering if I was being rude and invading somebody's space. Of course I would not worry about it in Canada...... Canadians are universally friendly..... in the US, well who knows....

However, so far I am 100% in encountering friendly people. Even mean nasty guys seem to lighten up when you flip up your visor, give them a smile and say hello.

Contrary to the hard ass tough guy image we work so hard to convey, I find bikers to be some of the friendliest people I have ever met.

Bikers = Friendly

Canadians = Friendly

Therefore Bikers = Canadians?
    Last edited by Sorg67; 03-03-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Would you pull up next to a motorcop? I would think if you did, you better have a good reason. Or, you know her/him.

I've pulled up to bikers before. Usually, I'll ask, "Great day for a ride, isn't it?" Yup, I'm that way. As far as me running into them, that's only happened a few times and not recently. (But, it's bound to happen again...)
    I've seen old riders pull up to a stop, then fall over just like Artie Johnson on a trike. Their response? "I forgot to put my foot down..." Complacency can get anyone. And usually does.

Got a storm heading here on Sunday. Sure glad I rode 500 miles last weekend...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Would you pull up next to a motorcop? I would think if you did, you better have a good reason. Or, you know her/him.

I've pulled up to bikers before. Usually, I'll ask, "Great day for a ride, isn't it?" Yup, I'm that way. As far as me running into them, that's only happened a few times and not recently. (But, it's bound to happen again...)
    I've seen old riders pull up to a stop, then fall over just like Artie Johnson on a trike. Their response? "I forgot to put my foot down..." Complacency can get anyone. And usually does.

Got a storm heading here on Sunday. Sure glad I rode 500 miles last weekend...
    I think I would pull up next to a motorcop. Like those who serve or have served in the military, I like to say "thank you for your service".

I only newbie oops so far was setting my bike down in the drive way because I did not put the kick stand down...... oops.

Maybe I should not be worried about them dropping their bike on me, I should be worried about me dropping my bike on them.....

Have you ever seen somebody riding their motorcycle that wasn't happy?
    The only time I've seen that was when they were broke down on the side of the road, and Man were they Ever happy you stopped to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Have you ever seen somebody riding their motorcycle that wasn't happy?
    The only time I've seen that was when they were broke down on the side of the road, and Man were they Ever happy you stopped to help.
    Good point!!

You might want to be careful that they aren't trying to make a right hand turn immediately after takeoff, always watch for signals an body language that might indicate that.