Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need some help deciding which bike to get

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    The first time you find yourself only attached to the bike by the bars is pretty, uh, interesting....
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Quote Originally Posted by Sxy Rdr View Post
    How old are you?
    im 20 years old about to be 21 and iv already called the insurance company on a few bikes just to get an estimate but that was months ago and the price wasnt to bad for being my age but that was when i was 19 and i had a issue come up where i had to put an hold on buying a bike. then again it all depends on where your motorcycle is insured at. its the whole concept of getting rid of 250 after a year or 2 of riding which i do understand its a good learner bike. but i want something i dont want to get rid of after a while because to shy of power and then worry about buying a new bike and re learning how to control a higher cc. which no matter where i go people say "Baby steps and work your way up" or either "Start off on a bigger step so you learn to control and know what to expect." i dont know im leaning more towards a yamaha fz6r reading peoples reviews on them and manufacture saying its a good starter bike.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
    ... just nice to have it when i need it.
    Does that really happen?
    I mean for some sort of safety reason, not just for keeping up with Helen.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    its the whole concept of getting rid of 250 after a year or 2 of riding which i do understand its a good learner bike. but i want something i dont want to get rid of after a while because to shy of power
    This concept is made up by squids who've never learned to ride well - as many experienced riders on this site have told you. It's silly, dangerous, and... well, silly concept. Don't bring it up, or people in the know will laugh at you.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Quote Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
    This concept is made up by squids who've never learned to ride well - as many experienced riders on this site have told you. It's silly, dangerous, and... well, silly concept. Don't bring it up, or people in the know will laugh at you.
    So what in your opinion do you think i should start off on then? a 250 or 500r? havent really read up any of the specs or anything on a 500r but i think someone mentioned it in the comments before. not sure

i mean this is why i made this post so i can see peoples opinions on things and get their review if there are any

its the whole concept of getting rid of 250 after a year or 2 of riding which i do understand its a good learner bike. but i want something i dont want to get rid of after a while because to shy of power and then worry about buying a new bike and re learning how to control a higher cc.
    It is never a bad day to get a new-to-you bike. Sometimes you have to "get rid of" a motorcycle to make room for a new one.

Your second comment is very telling to your attitude about riding. You think it's a once and done thing. You take a parking lot class, you get a motorcycle, and poof! You are magically a rider.

It doesn't work that way.

You don't "relearn" throttle control when moving up in power. You refine your existing skills. If you have no skills, then you are learning for the first time.

A motorcycle is a motorcycle from the perspective of basic control operations. How much skill is required to ride one or another safely and smoothly is a completely different story. The slope of the learning curve is roughly proportional to the weight and power - both require more skill as they increase.

How steep of a learning curve do you want?

Also, gently used 250s have much higher resale than crashed 650s....
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Personally, I moved to a larger bike because I needed more space and more carrying capacity. My current road bike puts about 85 hp to the ground and I cannot recall any situations where even that much was ever necessary. I did not choose this bike by engine size, the powerplant in the bike was the only way that the machine was configured. I also have 400cc street bike. It is light, maneuverable, and fun. Just not much room for stuff and the seat is kind of small.

Same reason my 650 is my main squeeze - it's a truck.

But when I don't need to haul half of the planet... Sherpa time!! Although that little brat is getting bags soon. Needs to live up to its name....

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So what in your opinion do you think i should start off on then? a 250 or 500r? havent really read up any of the specs or anything on a 500r but i think someone mentioned it in the comments before. not sure
    That was me. I started on a ninja 500. I made a few newbie mistakes but lucked out and nothing happened. The new 500s are quite suitable as beginner and beyond bikes. But don't knock the ninja 250 or 300, it's not all about the power but everything about the corner speed and lean angle. Learn to ride a 250 well and you can keep pace with 600s on the twisties.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."