Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Need some help deciding which bike to get

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    Not a great drag racer, my petite little ass..... hahahahahahahaha

Anyway, perfect lead in to ...

A Lingenfelter Corvette.... Where? On the street? So, at what, like 2/10ths? Try it at 7/10ths. Go to the track and try it. Those braking sticks come up fast.... It's far easier to get to 7/10ths on a bike than in a car. You don't want to land in the sand.

Fast at the track is not so much in the car or the motorcycle, it's in the driver.

Where do you live, Sunday?

Yes, Trials, I do have a fast...
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
    Not a great drag racer, my petite little ass..... hahahahahahahaha

Anyway, perfect lead in to ...

A Lingenfelter Corvette.... Where? On the street? So, at what, like 2/10ths? Try it at 7/10ths. Go to the track and try it. Those braking sticks come up fast.... It's far easier to get to 7/10ths on a bike than in a car. You don't want to land in the sand.

Fast at the track is not so much in the car or the motorcycle, it's in the driver.

Where do you live, Sunday?

Yes, Trials, I do have a fast...
    Im from Chicago Il.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar

Need some help deciding which bike to get

So how many laps at Autobahn?

I'm quite serious. Power is differently accessible on a bike. It's far more immediate and upsetting to the rider/bike combo. NORTY will also chime in about how you are positioned on a bike vs in a car: the car is designed to hold you securely. The bike, not so much.
    Last edited by atomicalex; 01-12-2016 at 10:16 PM.
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Maybe I shouldn't have brought up cars as this thread has swayed away from "Which bike to get."

Sunday, as you may have noticed, just about every one of us have recommended a smaller bike for you to start out on. Now, either every one of us is lying, or OJ really did kill those two people. (Sorry, may be a bad analogy!)
    What we are telling you is that we've either "been there" or know enough people that have "been there" to form an educated opinion.
    Now, can a person learn to ride on a turbo Hayabusa? Sure, and a broken clock is right twice a day too. Not impossible, but the odds don't favor them. Let's make the odds favor YOU. Sure, anything can happen our there, let's just mitigate the risk level to an acceptable level. This is done by starting out with a small motorcycle, getting formal training & wearing your gear. Does it make you indestructable? No. Nothing does.

You already have a "leg up" on everyone else in your future motorcycle training class as you know some

of the mechanics of moto operation because of your limited dirt experience. (Unless you started riding at 4 years old, that is.) Show them how smooth you can be.

Tip~ You don't have to "heel-toe" on a bike!
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Tip~ You don't have to "heel-toe" on a bike!
    Although you CAN, if you get the right shifter option on a cruiser!
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

My first bike was a 175 ... my second a 400... third a 650 that probably made 40 hp.

Trackday on a SV650 ... that bike makes about 65 hp .... more important is it's modified suspension ...

...it's every bit as fun as my 128 hp GSXr750 ...

As you can see these are both street bikes taped up for a day on a race track. For a few years my oldest son and I rode EX500's on the track.

There's a really good reason the fastest riders in the world start out on 125s ...
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Get a 600, they said. You'll get bored or outgrow a 250 (300) they said. Pffttt!

http://www.sportrider.com/video-this...src=SOC&dom=fb

Even if the pilot is Ari Henning, it looks like a ton of fast fun to me.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

A friend with 50 years of riding experience (he's in his late 70s) has a stable of bikes, including a Yammy 1000.
    He loves his Ninja 300, which he advises is a huge upgrade from his previous Ninja 250.
    It's pretty easy to buy and sell bikes, Sunday. (Also - kinda fun!) Don't be reluctant to swap bikes to match your increasing experience levels.
    Glad you stopped by the board.
    “Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.”
    - William Gibson, 'Neuromancer' author