Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help deciding which bike to get

Question Need some help deciding which bike to get

Hello, so I decided that I wanted to buy a bike and start riding. Iv done a lot of research and looking around and talking to friends, family, coworkers who ride and everyone of them said the same exact thing. Stay away from a 250 start off on a 600 so I won't get rid of it and want something faster. I am experienced with riding dirt bikes here and there whenever my buddies bring them out and Iv ridden a few 600cc bikes easy to use in my opinion. But I'm stuck choosing which bikes to either choose from if someone could give me their opinion on the following bikes and why would be much appreciated. I'm stuck deciding between a Ninja 650, ninja ZX6r, fz6r, cbr600, or someone else's suggestion.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    It sounds like you are beyond being a totally green rider, but I would still recommend you shy away from 4 cylinder bikes in the 600cc class. There are some nice triples to choose from and they feel noticeably lighter and narrower. You certainly won't be growing out of their performance any time soon.
    They are so wrong about 250cc bikes being boring, economy cars are , motorcycles, not so boring.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How many dirt seasons, and street miles do you have under your belt? Have you taken BRC/MSF? Based on your post I suspect cruisers and standards are not on your radar?

I'm stuck deciding between a Ninja 650, ninja ZX6r, fz6r, cbr600, or someone else's suggestion.
    OK, of your list, the Ninja 650 or an FZ6R are the two better choices, the ZX6R and CBR600 less so.

As for the "suggestion" - There are a handful of grey area bikes that are not 250s nowadays:

Ninja 300 - Ninja 250 with 25% more power
    KTM Duke 390 (aka RC390) - nice single, good hooligan potential
    Honda CB500 series - standard or sport, or "adventure bike", pick your flavor
    Suzuki SV650 / Gladius - Nice torquey twin
    Last edited by asp125; 01-10-2016 at 08:12 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    How many dirt seasons, and street miles do you have under your belt? Have you taken BRC/MSF? Based on your post I suspect cruisers and standards are not on your radar?

OK, of your list, the Ninja 650 or an FZ6R are the two better choices, the ZX6R and CBR600 less so.

As for the "suggestion" - There are a handful of grey area bikes that are not 250s nowadays:

Ninja 300 - Ninja 250 with 25% more power
    KTM Duke 390 (aka RC390) - nice single, good hooligan potential
    Honda CB500 series - standard or sport, or "adventure bike", pick your flavor
    Suzuki SV650 / Gladius - Nice torquey twin
    Not so much dirt sessions mainly street lol. But iv ridden quiet a few times on a 600 and i love it enough power for me and easy to handle. reason being i wanna stay away from 250cc is because i want the power there when i need it "if i need it".I want something atleast 600cc. My buddy has a ninja 650 and its comfortable and i never been on a fz6r but was reading on them and from consumer review people said that they were the ideal starter bike for someone who doesnt want lower than a 600cc because of the throttle restrictor.

mainly i want something i can go out w my buddies on and not have to worry about keeping up. im a safe driver and id like to think id be a safe rider aswell. Still accidents are prone to happen which i understand.

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A safe rider won't worry about keeping up. Good riding buddies will wait for you, or ride at a decent pace that allows you to remain in your comfort zone. If you feel pressured to keep up that will be the only thing on your mind rather than riding your ride. You will get sloppy, and start to make mistakes or bad decisions.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Sunday~ Since you know cars better than motos, let's say it like this...

Don't get a Civic, you'll grow out of it in a month or two. Get a Vette.

See how silly that sounds?

Your "buddies" are feeding you the same line.

You gotta walk before you run.

You wanna become a better rider? Get a small bike that won't intimidate you. Remember, this is your first bike, not your last bike.

Get some training. Get some gear. Use both regularly.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Sunday~ Since you know cars better than motos, let's say it like this...

Don't get a Civic, you'll grow out of it in a month or two. Get a Vette.

See how silly that sounds?

Your "buddies" are feeding you the same line.

You gotta walk before you run.

You wanna become a better rider? Get a small bike that won't intimidate you. Remember, this is your first bike, not your last bike.

Get some training. Get some gear. Use both regularly.
    Very true i see exactly what youre saying. Maybe its my stubornes reflectying not sure. But regardless im going to start off on a 600cc like a fz6r or ninja 650 on just a personal prefrences from other bikers i have talked to. im not so much using it for highway mainly for work and back and daily leasure when ever its nice out. im taking the training classes when they open at a local college they offer to everyone. so ill see when the time comes ofcourse

Yes, good idea to complete your moto course prior to getting your bike.

How tall are you? How about an adventure bike, like a Honda 500X?

Is getting a 600, your preference, or your buddies preference? I know the "feeling of inclusion" can be strong with we humans, but you must ride your own ride.

Don't ride your buddies ride.

What models of dirt bikes have you ridden?

Experience with a Yamaha XT 225 is totally different than a CR500...
    Last edited by NORTY; 01-11-2016 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Do i have to?
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    If you're dead set to get "600", whatever it means, get BMW G650. This way you will learn to ride much faster, and leave all your buddies in the dust.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".