Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big changes coming

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Big changes coming

All - I have made the decision to go ahead and cough up the cash and upgrade vbulletin to the newest version, 5. I am hoping at that time to find a reasonably priced VBulletin dev that can take the data I know we already have and make it useful again. We have a lot of articles, and starter bike write ups that are in the database but didnt come over when I moved us to VBulletin version 4.

I've also decided that because we are starting to incur more usage, I am going to begin implementing ads for incoming revenue. I hate asking for donations, and the way it's set up now donations only pay for web hosting. Not a developer or new software which is what ad revenue will generate for us. Hopefully it will be responsible, and not crazy insane but we should really start generating some revenue here.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Would there be a "ad free" option for site supporters who contribute above a certain level?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Ad free option or try some fund raising. It was only a while back that I noticed no ads. Then I looked for a way to contribute. I found a tiny little contribution request at the bottom of the page. Never would have noticed it if I had not been looking for it. Then I got distracted and did not contribute. But I would. Especially if it would avoid needing to sell ads.

You might drive some traffic away with ads.

Blog Entries
    I'm not entirely sure yet.

I do ask for contributions in a more vocal manner usually once a year, sometimes once every two years....just depends on how much was contributed last round. That said, it doesnt give me cash to buy software or pay a developer. Years ago we just had contributions into my paypal account. Not sure how the actual members felt about it, but to me, I was uneasy (and might have been uneasy as well had I been in the reverse) about members not really knowing where the money was going. The current contributions system is nice because it goes straight to dreamhost. The down side is that it doesnt give me cash to do upgrades and stuff...that comes out of my pocket.
    Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    I for one am not worried about just sending you money.

Another site I frequent has a "donate-o-meter" on the navigation bar which shows how close the site is to meeting its monthly costs, and gives virtual badges for donating. It's a pretty unobtrusive and apparently effective way to remind people that this stuff costs money and give a little recognition for those who chip in. See surfguitar101.com if you're interested.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    The website is a dot "org" so does that mean you are a non-profit? I mean a registered non profit. I understand you are not making any money. But are contributions deductible? If you took ad revenue could you retain the non profit status?

I have only been on the site since July and only regularly for the last month or two. So I do not have a lot of history. Seems like there are a fairly small number of regular users and a larger number people who pass through from time to time. Might make support with contributions more difficult. But I think asking more than once or twice a year would be necessary.

I am using the site a lot right now. Getting a lot of value out of it and would contribute if asked. I may contribute anyway, but a little prompting always helps.

But I might be gone in a month or two. Might lose interest and move on to something else. I think fund raising needs to be regular so that you catch people when they are willing.

Does not need to be obnoxious, just consistent and easily visible to all who visit the site.

I hate ads. They slow the site down and are really annoying. I joined the Versys forum, but I never go there. It is slow and difficult to use.

Would be nice to keep the site ad free.

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    I'm all for ads!

But .. just as long as you let ME determine who gets them ... and how much ...
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Moderator/RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! Clair's Avatar
    I'm all for ads!

But .. just as long as you let ME determine who gets them ... and how much ...
    Ride safe, ride smart, ride ATGATT because sweat dries faster than scars heal

2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC
    2009 Kawasaki ER-6N

* If you love your bike set it free. If it comes back to you, you've High Sided

Blog Entries
    No, we're not a non profit. The .org for non-profits died long ago in the late 90s, you can get em for anything.
    Rain Rain Go Away,

Current Bikes:

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Would be very cool if you could get Harley-Davidson, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and maybe some motorcycle insurance or related companies to contribute with advertising Beer companies, Pepsi-Cola, Google, Tire companies, Motorcycle apparel companies, all those would be kinda cool too!
    The ones for '21 beautiful stars who have aged horribly' and 'Best wardrobe malfunctions ever' not so good.
    The ones that randomly highlight keywords in your posts and turn them into advertising hyperlinks, totally destructive to any forum.

It's relatively easy to get sponsorships for high profile events if you approach companies like Parts Canada, but most of those are in the form of riding boots and swag for prizes, which really doesn't help buy web bandwidth and software. I know all too well how difficult it is to solicit and collect cash donations for not for profit motorcycle activities, I've been involved in everything from having T-shirts made up to 50-50 draws and all of those efforts yield very limited profit margins relative to the work involved to make it happen.

All that said, I totally understand you need to do what you need to do to make it work and am extremely appreciative of your efforts.
    +1 on who cares who collects the money, just as long as it's simple to do and you end up with it.

Do you accept Canadian copper pennies, I hear they actually have a higher value then Canadian dollars in the USA. The Canadian delegation could probably load you up with several pounds of precious metals if anybody is vacationing up this way