Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "ignore list"

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Ninja Rebel's Avatar

The "ignore list"

So, when you are not logged in and you scroll down the Forum, the possible members who are on your "ignore list" are not ignored, making it a bit of a drag, as there are conceptual reasons why you might have blocked someone.
    This is usually an issue for the "Lounge".
    Suggestion : that the Lounge only can be accessed when logged in, and also, the lounge should only be accessible to members who have proven to be active members, i.e. ones that have already a history on the BBO, like having posted like a min. of 30 posts...this also to avoid possible spammers.

Only a suggestion...
    Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Well, obviously your ignore list isn't going to work if you are not logged in as you.

The off-topic banter in the lounge areas are a part of who we all are as a group. Certainly would be nice if it was always good-natured banter, but it doesn't make sense to me to "throw the baby out with the bath-water."

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Seen this problem on another forum but very rarely here. (I consider all the people here to be my friends)
    The problem with any forum ignore function is that it operates in reverse and for that function to be of value, you would need to prevent people from viewing and replying to your posts. (that would work, but it's not an option)

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts!
    Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    Well, obviously your ignore list isn't going to work if you are not logged in as you.

The off-topic banter in the lounge areas are a part of who we all are as a group. Certainly would be nice if it was always good-natured banter, but it doesn't make sense to me to "throw the baby out with the bath-water."

Tom
    2009 Kawi Vulcan 500 LTD- Woodrow

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    Ignore lists serve two ways - to reduce clutter and to prevent discussion. Clutter reduction is noble, but to shy away from differing opinions is painfully ignorant.

Tom, good point.
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Kootenanny's Avatar
    I have never used the "ignore"list on this, or any forum. Although, wouldn't surprise me if I've made a few others' lists...

RiderCoach Wannabe 4000 Posts! Chench53's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subvetSSN606 View Post
    Well, obviously your ignore list isn't going to work if you are not logged in as you....Tom
    That's true. I just ignore who I want to ignore. In fact, I just tried the ignore button - Tom, I tried to ignore you but it says I can't ignore an admin!

So, I ignored my husband, ha ha, it let me do that. Then I looked for my ignore list at the bottom of the home page, but there was none, so I'm not sure of the purpose. I went back and un-ignored my husband.

But how does ignore work? Do their posts not appear in a thread? If so, wouldn't that impact the whole context of a thread? That would make no sense at all. Or, does ignoring someone just block someone from messaging you?

Except for true forum trollers and spammers (who are never long lived here!), this place has always been filled with a good bunch of people. I I enjoy the different viewpoints, it is what makes this place fun and interesting.

Gerry
    Peace ~ Love Ride ~ Then Ride Some More
    '16 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 with ABS - "ED-2ND" - Special in a new way.
    '05 Yamaha 1100 V* Silverado "Beast, Big Ass Bike" - The name said it all.
    '02 Suzuki 650 Savage - "Special Ed' - A wonderful memory.
    - Gerry -

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    When you add someone to your ignore list, you no longer see what typed in a post. You see that something was posted there, but it just gives you a notice that the user is ignored. And it gives you the option to "view post" or "remove user from ignore list".

However, if someone you're not ignoring quotes one of your ignored people, you will see the quoted portion.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

There's no reason to change a forum's access permissions based on the ignore feature. The feature works exactly how it's supposed to work. There are perks to being a member of the forum -- you have the ability to post, and you have access to the forum's features. If someone wants those perks, they need to join the board and log in. If a *member* wants those features, they need to log in. In addition, only logged in members can post to the Lounge (or any other forum), so requiring member login to access it achieves very little.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    There's no reason to change a forum's access permissions based on the ignore feature. The feature works exactly how it's supposed to work. There are perks to being a member of the forum -- you have the ability to post, and you have access to the forum's features. If someone wants those perks, they need to join the board and log in. If a *member* wants those features, they need to log in. In addition, only logged in members can post to the Lounge (or any other forum), so requiring member login to access it achieves very little.
    Agreed.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various