Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On any Saturday

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Cool. The CMA fee is a bit steep for a single event, but I might come and spectate.

Thoughts...?

Selling completely original 2003 Gas Gas 280 TXT. PHOTO

Less than 20 hours
    runtime. Garage kept and never used in competition or in rain, snow, or
    mud. Original owner. Starts on second kick. Canít get any closer to new
    unless you go out and buy one brand new. Bike was put up in 2006. $2800.

... for a beginner...?
    Last edited by OBX-RIDER; 03-09-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    The best thing you can buy for your motorcycle is gas.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Excellent bike for that money, very light weight even compared to other trials bikes, the 280 has plenty of snot, that one seems to be missing a chain but they are inexpensive and the broken clutch lever should be replaced immediately. (his levers are adjusted too far down) Pretty sure they have a dellorto carb which is not a problem but you should be advised that the low speed jet is a fuel and not an air screw so you will probably need to adjust it reverse to what you might expect. Also be advised that a while back GasGas went out of business and were sitting on a pile of parts, so somebody bought the lot and started assembling them again, but the line is not expected to see a lot of future design advancement unless the money starts flowing again. Knowing GasGas from years back bottom end seals are something you might want to buy while you can obtain them, if it doesn't have a nice crisp pop, pop, pop sound and starts making a ying, ying, ying sound and or becomes more difficult to start then the bottom end seals could need attention. Bike should run well on around 90 to 100 octane mixed with full synthetic pre-mix @ 80 or 100 : 1 ratio using bell-ray MC-1 or Amsoil respectively, some other oil brands may tend to accumulate goop in the exhaust packing more and make it smoke on occasion. If you buy it change the fork and engine oil immediately, inspect for moisture behind the left engine cover and service the dog bones in the rear suspension linkage. Reed valves might need occasional inspection to make sure they seat really well, aftermarket fibre upgrades are available if it doesn't already have them and can eek out slightly more power then metal ones if that's what is in it now. Air filter is small so you will want to clean and re-oil it frequently.

Any modern trials bike is perfect for a beginner.

... I vaguely recall something about one of the main bearings being reliant on transmission oil for lubrication on some GasGas models :/ no big deal but it might make a difference on what oil you use in the transmission. You might want to investigate that with a knowledgeable dealer.

It's only about 70 miles out of the way going home so if things look in order I may stop and take a look ... Thanks for the information ...

Dang it was sold 4 hours before the guy got my email. What about this ...

This is my 2007 Montesa Cota 4RT Trials bike, price is $4500 firm. 4 Stroke, fuel injected Honda 260 cc motor. Starts right up, runs great, ready to compete. The rear tire looks new, the front has age cracks but tread is still very sharp. Excellent condition, with many upgraded parts, I'll try to list some of them.
    Carbon fiber tank cover
    Carbon fiber graphics
    Aftermarket skid plate
    Aftermarket side stand
    Set back aftermarket foot pegs
    Handlebars
    Billet fuel cap
    Full factory service manual included.

Only about 30 miles out of the way ... but we are starting to talk real money and I may have said something like I wasn't buying any motorcycles this year ..... but then again Gigi shouldn't hold me to crazy talk ...

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
    ..... but we are starting to talk real money and I may have said something like I wasn't buying any motorcycles this year ..... but then again Gigi shouldn't hold me to crazy talk ...
    Just tell her "At least it's not a plane!"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Thumbs up

Montesa 4RT is obviously my favourite considering I own 2 of them right now and had another one before that. It's actually a 250, they didn't go to 260 until 2014 The accessories are nice, but should be included for free, they are mostly replacement parts that were put on because he had to or add ons that would not fit the current fuel tank shape. The manual came with the bike, it's not a purchased extra. Unless the dealer ripped him off the bike also came with 2 headlights, 2 exhaust headers (one with a cat converter) horn, signals, mirrors, probably even a second rear sprocket and speedometer sensor Even comes with a key for the steering lock :/ dealers frequently rip you off for all that stuff and call it preparation :/ which is a crock, the bike comes with oil and rad fluid already installed. Manual is also available in PDF format for free on the internet.
    Check to see if there is any free-play in the rear suspension when you lift up on the muffler. (the rear suspension linkage as with many of these bikes needs to be kept greased, inspect the dogbone for physical rock damage. What happens is the bash plate does not extend rearward enough to protect the dogbone linkage from impact, the thing gets beat out of round, the seals leak in water, washes out the grease and the needle bearings rust requiring replacement. The dogbone complete with bearings etc costs in excess of 300$ canadian to replace (fortunately parts are much cheaper now since Honda dealerships sell the bike, I'm told parts prices have apparently dropped significantly) I think he maybe put on slightly taller bars then stock. He probably split the original fuel cap from over-tightening it, that will be why it was replaced with an aluminum one.
    The bike being a 4-stroke is about 8 pounds heavier then the GasGas or similar but overall it is a more rugged bike and less prone to frame or swingarm cracks then a lot of the lighter 2-strokes. I find the 4-stroke to be more fun to ride and it sounds awesome compared to any 2-stroke. You will end up riding most rough terrain in 2nd and 3rd gear, don't be afraid to rev it up they put out a lot more horses if you rev them up, by comparison the 2-strokes have a steeper but shorter power curve. They plug down pretty slow too but if you are doing a lot of climbing rev it up lots and it will reward you. The power comes on nice and smooth and predictable which gives you an advantage on mud sections. The airbox is one of the best in the industry, it is volumous and not prone to drowning out in river crossings unless you go deeper then the saddle, but if it is oiled properly it will literally hold a hand full of water and keep running. Transmission oil is separate from the engine which is a bonus, it allows you to use the correct stuff in both, each is only ~500cc capacity, plan on changing both often. The oil filter is cheap and easy available, figure on replacing it about every second go, there is also a small metal screen that needs cleaning (super easy to do both) That bike has Showa suspension which is considered an upgrade to the current model. Currently the Repsol version has Showa suspension and the regular one has S3 (both are very good, Showa has a little larger nitrogen reservoir in the rear shock then the S3) btw 4th. and 5th. gear are so tall you will only use them for trail riding and between sections. 1st will be good for really tight slow stuff but if you are going over anything taller then your front axle go for 2nd. Fenders are more durable then many of the other bikes, way stronger then Beta fenders.
    The fuel injection system is awesome and that is what gives the bike astonishing performance, the idle if set properly will sound high, (~1200 rpm) keep it that way or it will make it hard to start if you lower it. Let it warm up until the fan kicks on is a good practice, if it ever seems to be running less then perfect let it idle for about 8 or 9 minutes and it will sort itself out. Replacement NGK spark plug is brutal expensive, not available except as a Honda branded replacement part from the dealership. You will need about one per year.

Starting procedure is unique, do Not touch the throttle at all or it simply won't start. You do not need to stab at the kickstart lever real hard like a 2-stroke, all you need to do is to bring it up on compression to where you get a full stroke on the lever, then get the motor to spin up to idle speed (needs to be in neutral so there is no clutch drag)

that should cover most of what you need to know.

His price is high enough considering that you are paying in US$ but they do hold their value really well compared to 2-strokers or any of the other trials 4-stroker.

This Saturday ( April 28 ) Jonathan English is offering a Trials Training opportunity at my place near Arden.
    Matt; holler if you or anyone you know might have interest. Is not free but it won't be terribly expensive and no membership in any club or anything is required, I think he is aiming for about a dozen participants. I'll be one of the students

Flirting With The Redline Mad Matt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    This Saturday ( April 28 ) Jonathan English is offering a Trials Training opportunity at my place near Arden.
    Matt; holler if you or anyone you know might have interest. Is not free but it won't be terribly expensive and no membership in any club or anything is required, I think he is aiming for about a dozen participants. I'll be one of the students
    Sounds good, how do I sign up?