Thread: Panniers - Smallest option for FF Helmet?

Panniers - Smallest option for FF Helmet?

I'm in the market for hard side cases (lockable and waterproof). At a minimum, I would like to stow my FF helmet (size M Shoei) in one and armored leather jacket in the other. I use a Cortech 2.0 tailbag as well. Bike is a Honda CB500F, great commuter but not a big bike, so I'd like to go with the smallest option available and still meet the min. requirements.

I've looked at the Givi V35s of course, the Shad 36s, and the Kappa Keen 33s. From reading reviews, it doesn't sound like the Kappa's will stow a FF helmet, so unfortunately those are out. Is it really down to just the two (in which case I'll likely go with the Givi's as they're a better fit with the bike)?

Cheers.

I found it really depends on the helmet, my Nolen fit in places my Schuberth wouldn't, same size just different styling.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    Top case...... just saying.....
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...

Sidecases that will fit a full face helmet are huge....better to go with a top case for the helmet and smaller side cases for the jacket and other stuff.
    Silver '07 Kawi Ninja 250R (sold)
    '09 Kawi Versys

Quote Originally Posted by Overcaffeinated View Post
    Oh, hell, Smurf's right.
    First Missouri, then Minnesota, now Michigan.....it is my goal in life to live in every state that starts with "M" before I die.....

Didn't vote??? Don't whine....

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

I have a set of these:
    http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/g...y-trekker-case
    on my 650 V-Strom - one 33L and one 46L (in black)...

The 46L will easily swallow a f/f helmet with room to spare. The 33L will easily accommodate my armored jacket plus some odds and ends.

At my age, having to hoist a leg up and over a huge top box is a pipe-dream, at best. So I had to think long and hard about the options. This particular combination works extremely well for me; others would, undoubtedly, find it too bulky. Also, Smurf is absolutely right ...

Quote Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
    Sidecases that will fit a full face helmet are huge...

Side cases that will fit a full face helmet are, indeed, huge or, more accurately, very wide. Also, IMO, they're a pricier option than going with a large top case.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! atonic's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Why would you use side cases for a helmet? Just wear a helmet.

Helmet size matters. Mine won't fit where my wife's will.
    The cost of a motorcycle is merely a down payment on farkles.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! Val's Avatar
    John, I use my side case to stow my helmet when running around town or to work. It's easy and I only run a top case on trips. That said, the Connie spoils us in regards to storage.
    aka: Muffin

08 Kawasaki Concours
    09 Suzuki c50 - Gone after 15,000 great miles.

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! atonic's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I should have said why would you wear side cases for a helmet. Was trying to be funny.
    The cost of a motorcycle is merely a down payment on farkles.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Kootenanny's Avatar
    I love living in a place where I can just hang my helmet & gear on the bike. You can tell the tourists, they're the ones carrying their helmets and gear into the restaurants (or stuffing them into ginormous topboxes)

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenanny View Post
    I love living in a place where I can just leave my key in the ignition. You can tell the tourists, they're the ones wearing shorts in the wintertime, saying, "You think THIS is cold?" And then the Zonies during summertime, with their windows rolled up and the A/C blasting...
    I usually roll up beside them and motion them to roll down their windows and let the cool ocean breeze brush back their hair. (Lyric stolen from Springsteen. {Bruce, not Jay!})

Yes, my key is in the igniter assembly as I type this...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.