Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Risk of Death Statistics

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Sorg67's Avatar
    Wow, lots of helpful and informative comments! Thanks!!

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Awesome articles! Maybe a little slanted to the good side but alot of good info regarding riding safe. Besides, we need to see some positive write-ups now and again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

OP~ Don't obsess over statistics. As others have stated, get trained & protected, and practice.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Kootenanny's Avatar
    Back in the 70s, one Dr. Hurt released his report on motorcycle safety. In it, he found two of the most important things a rider can do to increase safety,statistically speaking, are to avoid riding in major urban centres, and to obtain a valid motorcycle license. The first is kinda obvious, but the second...well, although a license doesn't have magic safety properties, it does indicate a certain attitude, one of taking riding seriously--and that DOES help.

RiderCoach 5000 Posts!
    <tl;dr>
    I just skimmed.

My son started riding when he was 4, racing when he was 7, riding as a street passenger at 6 and riding his own street bike at 15.5. He's 18 now and rides a Bandit 1250S.

Get the kids training and proper gear. It's a wonderful family activity.

Flirting With The Redline 6000 Posts! atomicalex's Avatar
    My 16YO is booked for the MSF class at the end of august, and my 14YO putts around on his little XR100 (which is really tiny under his 6' frame now! anyone want to buy an XR100?). 14YO is just counting days until he can get his cycle permit.

Like SxyRdr said - it is a great thing to do with your sons. Gear up, take some classes, and enjoy it. Maybe try offroad for a while (your bikes will do nicely) and some adventure riding. You don't have to be a street rider to be a motorcyclist.

Usually dual sports are ugly enough that traffic stays away anyway. At least, most traffic avoids mine. Of course, it is a big shiny yellow BMW!
    Katherine goes to Fahrschule - the German rider training thread :: Nine Days in the Alps :: BRC 2014 :: Finding GS Land
    2012 CBR250R (sold), 2001 Super Sherpa, 2004 BMW F650GSa - not a big Ford truck...