Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lexus knocks down a parked scooter

New Jersey has pretty strict requirements for passing their driving test. You must have a car that has a hand brake in the middle console between the driver and passenger. The catch-22 with that is if you borrow a friend's car that has those features, they also have to attend the test with proof of insurance. However, if you crash and damage their car you do so while driving without a license.

Worse, NJ won't provide a loaner car at their DMVs specifically for taking the test. For me it was pain in the ass hardship, but I was able to get through it.

There are a lot of drivers who feel incensed when they see a MC or scooter parked in a lot. Some believe they don't have the right to park there. I've been asked on a few occasions if I could move and park in places like stripped line areas of a parking lot. I just flat out say no, that it could be illegal, parking is first come, first serve, and I have the full legal right to park.

- Wolf

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    To drive for Uber, you have to have a valid driver's license, your car has to be a late-model vehicle in good working order, and you have to pass their background check. Apparently it's the last part that's the sticking point to a number of municipalities, who believe they should be permitted like cabbies are, especially after incidents of drivers accused or convicted of sexual assault of riders and, after the fact, it was found that if those drivers had undergone the stricter background check involved in city permitting, they would not have passed muster. This permitting adds a small fee (paid by the driver) and has a more in-depth background check. Houston and Austin, for example, required permitting. Subsequently, Lyft left Houston in 2015 (Uber stuck around, because Superbowl was coming, and...well...money reasons!), and both left Austin. The TX *just* passed ride sharing legislation that supercedes the municipal laws. Lyft returned to Houston a couple of weeks ago, and I believe they're both headed back to Austin (if they're not there already). Point being, yeah, you need more than a car to drive for Uber. Just...not MUCH more. They like to appear to screen drivers.
    I figured there might be more, and also figured if so that it was not near enough what the regulated companies go through.

Interesting Uber story...here in Vegas the cabbies are not permitted to carry weapons, not even pepper spray. In other words, like most jobs, they're not permitted to defend themselves. This is widely known here, there have been numerous cabbie muggings, robberies, and occasional killings due to this facet of the industry.

Fast forward to Uber arriving in town. One of our esteemed citizens here hailed an Uber driver with the intent to rob him and/or cause some bodily harm, having done so successfully with cabbies over a span of 18 months. Nevada law states that a vehicle is an extension of your property. Some of you can already see where this is going...I'll continue for the rest.

As it turned out this particular Uber driver had a CCW permit and when the "citizen" decided to continue his work outside the taxi industry he ended up dead. Naturally the "victim" 's family sued, I have no idea how that fared but the law was certainly on both the driver's side and Uber's side.

I've seen countless other parallel tales from other cites/states and I have to say I have no pity for any of these "victims".
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterwolf View Post
    There are a lot of drivers who feel incensed when they see a MC or scooter parked in a lot. Some believe they don't have the right to park there. I've been asked on a few occasions if I could move and park in places like stripped line areas of a parking lot.
    There is no shortage of such jack-wagons out here either. Consequently there is also no shortage of those parallel types that will bitch when you do park in the non-car spots. There is also a fair representation that, after bitching about you parking in a car spot and proceed to move the bike to a non-car spot, will bitch about parking in the non-car spot too.

F### 'em and feed 'em fish, I say...
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think there's a picture around here of a certain Arctic Camo GL1800 parked in the protective cart return rack....
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Ironic, coming from a state that gives away regular licenses to illegal immigrants...
    Very true. We'll see how this plays out in Gov. Brown's State...

First, I thought it was a Federal policy. Nope, didn't come from DOT. It came from DMV. Granted, this is for CDL holders only, but who knows what the future holds. Really odd with liberal slanted State Gov...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    I think there's a picture around here of a certain Arctic Camo GL1800 parked in the protective cart return rack....
    It's not decked out in camo and certainly couldn't be mistaken for a Gold Wing...

Ride Safe, Chop Safer

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    I had to parallel park a horse and buggy for my driving test.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    I had to parallel park a horse and buggy for my driving test.
    I remember you! I was the guy in the chariot.

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    I woulda caught ya had I not had the buggy tethered to the old gray mare......
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Bugs, I thought maybe you drove a "Bugeye..."
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.