Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brief review of the 2015 Indian Scout

Brief review of the 2015 Indian Scout

So I will preface this by saying, since I laid eyes on the 2015 Indian Scout I have wanted this thing. It's design is exactly what I like. Seeing it in NYC at the IMS made me further want this bike. A few months ago when reading another review on it, it dawned on me it only has 3.3 gallon tank with a range reportedly between 41 - 47mpg. If it's the low end, I wouldn't make it on a tank of gas round trip to work. I don't want to stop for gas twice in one trip to work. So I had pretty much ruled the bike out as much as I didn't want to.

When I bought my Shadow Phantom, I had no business test riding a bike. I was amazed I rode it home from the dealership. However today I can test ride. The Indian Dealership of Northern NJ did a demo ride of all models this past weekend. I went up sunday morning to finally get it out of my system and take the Scout for a spin.

The one I picked was the only one with a windshield because I wanted to see how well Indian designed the shield. The bike is small. Well smaller than my Phantom. But heavier by about 15 pounds. Lifting it off the stand it felt like it was 100 pounds lighter than my Phantom. It's a quiet bike with an interesting exhaust note. I haven't rode on anything other than a Honda Shadow 750, Honda Rebel and a Buell Blast so I was a little nervous with the extra power. It's just under 1200cc (69 cu). Indian claims 100hp but at the wheel its about 83hp. SO it took about 2 or 3 minutes to get accustomed to the additional torque. Once I was it was all over.

This bike has balls. I rolled on that throttle and it pushed me back with some authority that I did not expect. The demo route was on some town roads and up on the Interstate 78. On the Interstate I got to open it up a bit. It is smooth. it has a six speed transmission which was very click but smooth when you shift. My favorite part was the on and off ramps because they were very twisty. The bike it really fun to lean. Not like a typical cruiser. It has some flick to it. It steers easy. Indian has nailed the bike. Its fun as heck to ride and has all the power you need on the street. Oh the windshield was excellent. very little buffeting (a welcome feeling compared to my Memphis Shades shield)

Here are the downsides for me. I did not like the blinker switch. It was a bit of a reach for my thumb. The controls are too forward. They do have reduced reach controls as an option. Other than that it just wouldn't make a good primary bike for me. I want to be able to put some larger bags on as well as a decent area for a passenger when I am ready for that. If I had the primary bike that does good commuting and light touring, I would buy this without a doubt as a second bike.

I just figured I'd share
    -Eddie
    2015 FXDL
    2013 Honda Shadow Phantom - Sold

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! midknyte's Avatar
    >3.3 gallon tank with a range reportedly between 41 - 47mpg

That's nearly 150 miles, and respectable
    Objects in mirror are dumber than they appear!

Quote Originally Posted by midknyte View Post
    >3.3 gallon tank with a range reportedly between 41 - 47mpg

That's nearly 150 miles, and respectable
    That's not bad, only 40 miles of walking.
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showth...e-NE-Highlands

I like the Indian motorcycles, but I can neither afford nor really want a large heavy Chief. But why can't they put a decent sized tank on the Scout?!?

3.3 gallons??? Seriously??? On a 1200cc bike???

The 800 Volusia is 4.5 gallons.

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! liberpolly's Avatar
    You can attach two jerrycans to the rear fender, it will look badass. But looking at your old thread, this looks like a perfect road for something like Yamaha FJ9 or FZ1.
    "The better you're prepared, the luckier you get".

Flirting With The Redline 1000 Posts! bikebitsmall's Avatar
    Interesting bike, likely would compare and try both the 1200 Sportster and 1200 Indian Scout before made a choice...though leaning toward a Sportster at moment if had to choose, even my 883 has a 4.5 gallon tank.
    2004 Sportster sold
    2009 Yamaha Vstar--sold
    Sears putt put 109cc-- sold
    1965 Yamaha 80 cc--sold
    2016 T100 Bonny

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Ninja Rebel's Avatar
    Chain or Belt ?
    It's not a critic, but I am putting another picture for the people to judge its looks, a nice looking bike I must say, for those who like cruisers (choppers), and 83 HP to the wheel is pretty decent !
    So ? Gonna buy it ? How much is the price ?

Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

As your picture sits it's 11,200. Add a few extras (I'd need a sissy bar, winshield) probably high 13k out the door. I'm not going to buy. That small of a tank I'm not comfortable with. I could get the Sportster 1200T which comes with a 4.7 gallon gas tank, saddlebags and windshield for that price.
    -Eddie
    2015 FXDL

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Ninja Rebel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpot View Post
    I wouldn't make it on a tank of gas round trip to work. I don't want to stop for gas twice in one trip to work.
    Completely understandable !
    The HD (I take it the Sportster 1200T is a Harley ?) will cost you more though, no ?
    What's the Indian engine ? Harley also ?
    Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Rebel View Post
    Completely understandable !
    The HD (I take it the Sportster 1200T is a Harley ?) will cost you more though, no ?
    What's the Indian engine ? Harley also ?
    Yes the 1200T is a Harley. they're both 1200cc. the Indian's has been designed to put out 100 hp (83 at the wheel) where the sportster is 65. The Sportster has about 5 - 7lbs more torque. The Scout it around the same weight as the Sporty but the Scout feels much lighter. It has great CoG. For me if it wasnt for the smaller gas tank it wouldnt be a discussion.

I really enjoyed the bike. In all honesty I do not think there is a bike that will fulfill what I really need unless its a touring bike which I know I am not ready for. The Scouts seem to have a pretty decent backorder. I may see exactly what it is. I have been looking at a lot of bikes and I just keep coming back to this bike. It has some shortcomings but I love the look and I love the ride. They did a fantastic job on paying homage to the old Scout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Eddie
    2015 FXDL

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Rebel View Post
    It's not a critic, but I am putting another picture for the people to judge its looks...

I like the looks. Classic but unique lines like the straight-sided fenders. Nice pipes. Love the seat. Fat tires for the dirt and gravel roads. Classy logos. And pegs, not floorboards.

If it had a 4.5 or 5 gallon tank like other similar bikes: V-Star 1200, Volusia, Road Star, Vulcan 900, VStar 1300, Triumph America, HD Fatboy, HD Soft Tail Deluxe...

Why'd they cripple the Scout so horribly?