Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hibernation 2014-2015

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Winter used to be a good time to take care of major maintenance. Top end rebuilds and such (annual event with a two-stroke). Now, living in Arizona, it is much more difficult to get those things done. Late summer most often is the best time for the bike to be down because that is when local weather is the worst (for riding).

Flirting With The Redline thud300's Avatar
    I'm putting the 454 in hibernation and going to do a valve adjustment on it soon. The Connie, however, is awaiting a new set of tires, and she is on ready five status, for those days where riding is possible. I refuse to go down without a fight
    Returning neglected Kawasakis to riding glory since 2014
    1991 Voyager XII "Xaviera", 1998 Concours "Connimus Prime", 1989 454 LTD "Merlin"
    COG #12068 Member of American Voyager Association #ATGATT or stay home
    my YouTube channel: ToastRider

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kootenanny View Post
    Here in BC, we can buy insurance for only part of the year--most of us only insure for the summer months. Only partially makes up for the horrendous vehicle insurance costs we have (compared to the States, anyway).
    Here in PA stopping insurance leads to the Dept Of Transportation issuing a request for their license plate back. No option for non-full year coverage. Suppose you can drop everything but the liability for the winter. However at $350 for the year it works out to about $44 per monrh for the 8 rideable months. Plus the money saved on petrol for the car. Not too bad I suppose.

Semt usung tapatalk wuth my fat fingers snd a tiny keyboard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    -2000 Road King Classic with lots of sentimental value
    -M.I.T.G.C. #72

Flirting With The Redline JohnBryer's Avatar
    I sold off my track day bike last week since I haven't used it in 3+ years. Both BMW's are full of gas and Stabil, on the center stands with a chopped off hockey stick under the front wheels to keep them off the cement for the winter. Battery tenders all plugged in and bikes are put to sleep for the winter.
    '05 BMW R1200 GS
    '04 BMW R1150 RT

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    ...But I now know it takes about 45 minutes to navigate it across the whole driveway. ...
    Y'know, you only need to clear a path a foot wide from the garage to the road. Just enough for the tires.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    I won't rub it in TOO much. Besides, there's a roughly 4-6 week period each summer where the heat and humidity are just too horrid to commute here.
    Humidity is only slightly more common than precipitation here. That is to say it accompanies precipitation and lingers a few days afterwards. Those days where we get some of that annual few inches of precipitation in conjunction with below freezing temps is something that you will only see posted in the sports books.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Y'know, you only need to clear a path a foot wide from the garage to the road. Just enough for the tires.
    The garage is for the hibernating bike. The XT is currently encrusted with snow, in its position just outside the door.

Too late to do anything about it, I hit upon the idea of a 12x12 shed over the basement entrance, which would serve several purposes.... housing the snow blower and the XT, protecting the steps from another incursion of 4' of snow (yes, I have pictures from that storm), and other things. Maybe spring.
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Pickled the Ninjas but kept the ZRX ready. The annual toy run is coming up and I won't miss that.
    Ride Naked
    77 KZ650
    03 ZRX1200R
    89 KX125
    01 ZX-9R
    18 H2SX SE

Quote Originally Posted by kthkern View Post
    KZ Is the best!!!

It seems to me that riders that have to quit riding, will have to reacquire their skills. I only wonder if they will end up at the end of next year, with little improvement beyond this year. Is it like repeating a grade in school? Year after year after year, starting almost all over. What do the riders say that have this happen?
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In aviation, there is the saying about pilots who don't have "800 hours experience", but "100 hours, repeated 8 times"....
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)