Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The world we live in: Printers

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The world we live in: Printers

So, printers. Yea. We all have em, we all probably need them once in awhile...so what do you do when they need supplies? About 2 years ago, I bought a little lexmark at Frys-it was 50 bucks. I needed a scanner, so it was a muti function with a doc feeder on the scanner and network connectivity.

Well, ink has been low for awhile, but I rarely use it for printing anyhow. I've changed a few things around my office recently, and I wanted to use it on wifi with my work computer.....but it was still low on ink. Ink was 60 bucks for the whole shebang.

I bought a new brother muti function for 65 bucks shipped next day.

I felt bad taking it out to the trash today, and was going to list it on craigslist...but I figured they would be in the same situation as I am...why buy ink when I can buy a BRAND NEW printer?!

So, thoughts...how do you handle this odd issue?
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Sad, but true. I bet I own the same printer you just threw out. Like you, ink cartridges dry out from non-use. Consumable cost doesn't justify keeping it....but sad that it's "disposable".
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    When I shop for printers, I price out the ink cartridges first, and choose a printer that doesn't cost an arm and leg to feed.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    If it's any consolation...this exact same mindset...cheap hardware for expensive consumables....permeates the reeeeaaaallllllly big printers too. Bet KAC could chime in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    If it's any consolation...this exact same mindset...cheap hardware for expensive consumables....permeates the reeeeaaaallllllly big printers too. Bet KAC could chime in here.

I can't agree cause the cartridges for our main production printer at work don't cost $30,000
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I stopped buying ink jet printers because the ink always dries out long before it runs out. My printing is intermittent - weeks without any, then 20-200 pages in a day. So I spent the money to get a laser-based multifunction, to replace the second inkjet-based MFP that failed before their first ink change.

December will mark the end of 2 years on the original cartridges. It's going to cost me more to change them when the time comes, but I've already printed more on these cartridges than I managed to get out of the last 4 inkjet printers combined!
    Jeff

"Remember when being socially distant was a symptom of a potentially debilitating mental disorder, instead of a government mandate? C'mon, it was just a few weeks ago!"

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! shonuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
    When I shop for printers, I price out the ink cartridges first, and choose a printer that doesn't cost an arm and leg to feed.
    Same here. But I'm also guilty doing like Derrick and just buying a new printer when the replacement ink cost more than the printer itself.

Fortunately, nowadays, I can expense my ink back to the company. So I don't worry about it as much.
    SHONUFF

What I ride
    '06 GL1800 - Overgrown sport bike!

Previous Bikes
    '01 Yamaha YZF600R
    '09 Royal Star Venture (7500 miles)
    '06 YAMAHA FZ6 (10,000 miles)
    '07 KAWASAKI EX250-NINJETTE (6500 miles)
    '05 YAMAHA ROADSTAR MIDNIGHT SILVERADO XV1700 (65,000 miles)
    '06 HONDA AERO 750 (12,000 miles)

God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal, John Moses Browning made some legends, and Eugene Stoner made some more awesomer than others. - various

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well I have a laser printer, a lexmark e240n that I bought at best buy like 8 years ago at best buy for 150 bucks. I've had the cart refilled once at like 40 bucks, and then I have a color laser that I inherited with a bunch of color carts...but never an MFP w/ a scanner. I have considered getting an HP MFP color laser...seems like they had a nice one at the ~340 price range.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Flirting With The Redline 4000 Posts! taylorcraft07's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Those high end printer consumables help keep me in food and bikes. (Think companies known for printer/copiers near Rochester, NY).

That end of the company is about 45% of revenue now. It was close to 100% 10 years ago. We are moving more toward running EZ Pass and doing medical billing services.

Dave

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Ninja Rebel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    So, printers. Yea. We all have em, we all probably need them once in awhile...so what do you do when they need supplies? About 2 years ago, I bought a little lexmark at Frys-it was 50 bucks. I needed a scanner, so it was a muti function with a doc feeder on the scanner and network connectivity.

Well, ink has been low for awhile, but I rarely use it for printing anyhow. I've changed a few things around my office recently, and I wanted to use it on wifi with my work computer.....but it was still low on ink. Ink was 60 bucks for the whole shebang.

I bought a new brother muti function for 65 bucks shipped next day.

I felt bad taking it out to the trash today, and was going to list it on craigslist...but I figured they would be in the same situation as I am...why buy ink when I can buy a BRAND NEW printer?!

So, thoughts...how do you handle this odd issue?
    You know Derick, I used to work at a company manufacturing compatible inkjet consumables.
    I have at home an Epson printer, and I buy all my consumables thru eBay, at a very, very cheap price (I get i.e. like 20 for the price of 4 originals)
    I does however happen that sometimes one is not working, but seeing the price, I just dump it.
    The printer manufacturers are making huge benefits out of their consumables, the reason why some are equipped with a micro-chip that, if not present, renders the printer nonoperational. It has been forbidden by the European Court of Justice to do so though, in order to prevent market monopolies.
    HP is the biggest printer manufacturer in the world, and their consumable market has a annual turnover of $ billions ! That's why the printers are so cheap new, they make more dough out of the ink !
    Buy compatible, but check the history of the people who sell them...
    Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki