Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Finally!!!!

  1. #1

    Finally!!!!

    So I FINALLY took the Phantom on the schlep to the office! I can officially say I have ridden in multiple states. I can also say I need more gear! LOL It was chilly even with my liner in. I learned a few things.

    1. Try to safely avoid animal guts on the road. I rode through some in a curve and it created a very quick "oh sh*t" moment that was over before I finished the expletive.
    2. As I said I need more of an array of gear. I have a mesh jacket with a liner, but probably could have used one with a better liner. The ride home will be very nice though with the liner out. This will come in time as my budget is limited.
    3. I need to fiddle with my EZPass holder because my EZPass was not recognized at all in any booth. It works fine in my car. I have the JJCyclePass. It says on their site it definitely works you just need to find the correct angle.
    4. When you are doing 70 mph for a period of time, when you slow down, it may not be slow enough. I had no problems with this but it was an observation when going through a toll plaza. I went through one booth at 30 and it seemed like it was probably 10mph lol.
    5. I need a different seat. I knew this already. It was just more apparent.
    6. I had my first taste of people who really could care less that you are merging onto a major interstate and just continue to ride directly next to you as the lane runs out. I couldn't slow down because there still was no way in (more cars in the lane) so I had to speed up.

    Right now that's about it. The bike ran well. It was buzzy but not as bad as I thought it would be. It was more in my butt and back then in my hands. I am a bit nervous for the ride home. The entrance I for the PA Turnpike I go on has construction. The on ramp is almost a full circle. At the tightest curve near the end of the ramp it is all grated up. Then once on the TP the right lane is lower than the center lane. At some point I need to move over because it becomes an exit only lane for the next exit about 8 miles down. Hitting that scraped up ramp and changing lanes over the lip is what I'm thinking about.
    -Eddie
    2015 FXDL
    2013 Honda Shadow Phantom - Sold

  2. #2
    RiderCoach 2000 Posts! KACinPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    2,411
    It was a tad chilly at 3:30 this morning...If I had to go more than the 4 miles on the limited access road I would have stopped to close the vents on my jacket. Do you have rain gear? The issue with mesh jackets and liners is that the liners are not really wind proof, If you have a rain jacket (My Vega mesh jacket came with one zipped in a pouch inside) and you put that on over the mesh jacket, it blocks the wind and keeps you warmer.

    Where on the bike is your EZPass holder? Is there anything at all between the "back" side of the EZPass and the line of sight of the readers in the booth? I originally tried mine inside the lid of my glove box, but my arm blocked it. It worked OK wedged between the instrument cluster and windscreen, but that was ugly. I ended up just keeping it in the top "window" part of a tank bag and sitting up straight as I go through tolls. In any case, as long as your bike's tag is registered to a transponder you will be fine, they will just input your tag from the booth camera and debit the toll from the associated account. I had MANY passes through EZ pass booths that failed to read, but the tolls showed up on the account with no issue.

    I have tried to stay off of 276 during the current construction blitz. those uneven lanes are a real pain in the butt. When you have to change lanes, make sure you have a good "hole" in traffic, swing over to the right side of the lane you are in and come over to the next lane to the left with the best angle you can manage. You don't want to do a "smooth merge" in this situation, because the higher level of the next lane can act as an edge trap and upset the bike.

    Have a nice ride home!
    Keith

    '11 Triumph Sprint GT - Blue (The fastest color)
    '05 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 - Blue (The fastest color)


    Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
    It feeds my love of machinery to be that close with my whole body.

  3. #3
    The trick to the EZ pass is lane position. The antenna in the toll booth is in the center, set up for cars. You need to have the EZ pass in the center of the lane. You may also want to get an MC EZ pass, why pay the same toll as a car, mc's are less.
    Ride Naked
    77 KZ650
    03 ZRX1200R
    89 KX125
    01 ZX-9R
    18 H2SX SE

    Quote Originally Posted by kthkern View Post
    KZ Is the best!!!

  4. #4
    RiderCoach 5000 Posts! NORTY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,191
    Congrats on getting "out there" and riding to work!

    On your "#4 item," the phenom you observed is "speed drunk." It is a phenom that can catch anyone that is "going fast for an extended time", then slowing down to a speed that lets the brain perceive that you've slowed down more than you really have. Once your brain is up to speed (so to speak) it may think that you have slowed just enough when your speedo says you still are moving faster than your brain thinks you are. Put it another way~ it's just like you wrote on #4. You still have some slowing to do! Wait until you're really going fast (for an extended amount of time) and you slow to 70 or 80 and you feel like you can get off the bike and run along side...
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by KZ-Rob View Post
    The trick to the EZ pass is lane position. The antenna in the toll booth is in the center, set up for cars. You need to have the EZ pass in the center of the lane. You may also want to get an MC EZ pass, why pay the same toll as a car, mc's are less.
    I'll try moving it over. I checked on the NJ Ez Pass site and I didn't see anything Motorcycle specific. Maybe I missed something.
    -Eddie
    2015 FXDL
    2013 Honda Shadow Phantom - Sold

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by KACinPA View Post
    It was a tad chilly at 3:30 this morning...If I had to go more than the 4 miles on the limited access road I would have stopped to close the vents on my jacket. Do you have rain gear? The issue with mesh jackets and liners is that the liners are not really wind proof, If you have a rain jacket (My Vega mesh jacket came with one zipped in a pouch inside) and you put that on over the mesh jacket, it blocks the wind and keeps you warmer.

    Where on the bike is your EZPass holder? Is there anything at all between the "back" side of the EZPass and the line of sight of the readers in the booth? I originally tried mine inside the lid of my glove box, but my arm blocked it. It worked OK wedged between the instrument cluster and windscreen, but that was ugly. I ended up just keeping it in the top "window" part of a tank bag and sitting up straight as I go through tolls. In any case, as long as your bike's tag is registered to a transponder you will be fine, they will just input your tag from the booth camera and debit the toll from the associated account. I had MANY passes through EZ pass booths that failed to read, but the tolls showed up on the account with no issue.

    I have tried to stay off of 276 during the current construction blitz. those uneven lanes are a real pain in the butt. When you have to change lanes, make sure you have a good "hole" in traffic, swing over to the right side of the lane you are in and come over to the next lane to the left with the best angle you can manage. You don't want to do a "smooth merge" in this situation, because the higher level of the next lane can act as an edge trap and upset the bike.

    Have a nice ride home!
    Keith,
    Thank you for the advice on handling the lane change. As far as my Ezpass goes, I have it mounted on my crossbar which is unobstructed. That is why I was so baffled. I was riding through to the left of the slick. Maybe KZ-Rob has it right. Maybe I should mount it on my right bar if there is room so it's closer to the center (I seem to favor going through the booth on the left of the slick).
    -Eddie
    2015 FXDL
    2013 Honda Shadow Phantom - Sold

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Congrats on getting "out there" and riding to work!

    On your "#4 item," the phenom you observed is "speed drunk." It is a phenom that can catch anyone that is "going fast for an extended time", then slowing down to a speed that lets the brain perceive that you've slowed down more than you really have. Once your brain is up to speed (so to speak) it may think that you have slowed just enough when your speedo says you still are moving faster than your brain thinks you are. Put it another way~ it's just like you wrote on #4. You still have some slowing to do! Wait until you're really going fast (for an extended amount of time) and you slow to 70 or 80 and you feel like you can get off the bike and run along side...
    "Speed Drunk"... Definitely makes sense!
    -Eddie
    2015 FXDL
    2013 Honda Shadow Phantom - Sold

  8. #8
    RiderCoach 2000 Posts! speeddemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpot View Post
    I'll try moving it over. I checked on the NJ Ez Pass site and I didn't see anything Motorcycle specific. Maybe I missed something.
    There is a specific EZ pass for bikes. And yes, the rates are lower. It is also smaller than the car pass, so that's nice. I keep mine in the top of my tank bag, in the clear map pocket. I just pause about 20 feet in front of the white square thing mounted at the top of the lane, and it usually picks it up.
    '03 Suzuki SV650
    '02 Ninja 250--SOLD
    "Down here, "revolutionary" means peasants storming the palace, not a really small phone that's also a camera." --Dan Walsh

    <img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/thardin/speeddemon_sig_01.jpg border=0 alt= />

  9. #9
    RiderCoach 2000 Posts! KACinPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lansdale, PA
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
    There is a specific EZ pass for bikes. And yes, the rates are lower. It is also smaller than the car pass, so that's nice.
    The one you get from PA is also waterproof, so you can mount it to the bike if you want (and aren't worried about it getting ripped off.) I assume other EZPass states use the same devices.
    Keith

    '11 Triumph Sprint GT - Blue (The fastest color)
    '05 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 - Blue (The fastest color)


    Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
    It feeds my love of machinery to be that close with my whole body.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by speeddemon View Post
    There is a specific EZ pass for bikes. And yes, the rates are lower. It is also smaller than the car pass, so that's nice. I keep mine in the top of my tank bag, in the clear map pocket. I just pause about 20 feet in front of the white square thing mounted at the top of the lane, and it usually picks it up.
    I checked again and no mention of a mc specific tag. I dropped an inquiry to them so I'll see what they respond...
    -Eddie
    2015 FXDL
    2013 Honda Shadow Phantom - Sold

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •