Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Repair that comes to you...

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar

Motorcycle Repair that comes to you...

...so I recently became stranded thanks to a dead battery, and called a local guy that has a business he named "Fix-My-Bike" to get the bike jump started.

I thought this was a really good idea for a business.

So I looked online and found that various areas of the country have similar business, many bringing an equipped trailer to your home to fix your bike.

I'd love to see this become a nationwide trend. With all the new riders out there, all the riders like me that are mechanically clueless, this would give me peace of mind to know that motorcycle specific help would come to me, especially if I'm stranded on the road. (I'm envisioning seeing as many of these as the Subway sandwich shops, but that's just my personal fantasy. Hell, I'd travel cross country without fear if this was a reality.)

So I thought this might be a good idea for a thread highlighting something like that in your area of the country. Got any links to businesses that help stranded bikers?
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Here in Albuquerque, we have a guy that runs a MC specific towing service. I don't think he does any road side repairs, but he has a fully enclosed trailer with really good tie downs and wheel chocks. I have had to use my AMA road side and I ask for him specifically.
    "Like a rich armour worn in heat of day that scalds with safety..." ATGATT.

"If you can park it and not turn around to admire it every time you walk away, you bought the wrong bike."

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I just call my wife. She brings the pick-up, ramp, and tie downs and I load it up to take back home.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    That's the thing, Shadow...some have no one with those capabilities to come, some are too far away from home to utilize a come-from-home-rescue, some prefer to get it fixed and continue the ride.

If you have someone with type of business in your neck of the country, post up their business. Good for them, help for us!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Blog Entries
    It's a noble cause, but unless this thread gets pinned it will drop off the face of the forum a month after the final post. At which point we can only hope someone bookmarked it.

That said, I've often thought about offering it. I really thought about it when I was unemployed, but now I just don't have the time.
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4

Yeah, I run the place 3000 Posts! Derick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's funny this thread just came up... Just yesterday I had Motorcycle Mobile Tire Repair come out and replace my two tires for me. I took note of what they did so I could emulate it in the future, but the convenience factor was worth the cost. They charged me $120 to replace both tires...and they were done in about 90 minutes, and that included training a new guy. I also told them ahead of time that I use the Ride On additive and had the hose ready to wash the rims.

They were pretty courteous and while I paid 3X what I would have a local shop, I didnt: A) have to jack up my bike and take off my rims, B) drop them off at the shop for an undisclosed amount of time, and C) had it done literally hours after I called.

I called at about 10am, scheduled it for 2, and they were done at about 345. So, the 200ish I spent on my new pirellis, plus the 120 in install fees, I spent ~330 bucks installed on new tires. Other experiences: 2 years ago: $550 for tires and install (and that included my 15% discount) when bought locally, last year 370 when I bought tires online, and then had installed at a local dealer. So, the numbers don't lie. I spent less, and I didnt have to leave my house or transport tires. This particular service does other maintenance items, brakes, oil changes, etc. Not sure if they would be able to help on a 'dead on side of road' situation.

Now, one irk; they didnt dispose of my tires. So I have to figure out what to do with the two tires sitting in my garage.
    Rain Rain Go Away,
    So I can ride another day.
    Remember when sex was safe, and motorcycles were dangerous?

Current Bikes:
    2006 Kawasaki Concours///COG#:11628
    2006 Honda Goldwing 1800///GWRRA#:398646

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    Now, one irk; they didnt dispose of my tires. So I have to figure out what to do with the two tires sitting in my garage.
    Bring them to the next local event for the tire toss. Gals toss the front tire, guys toss the rear tire. Longest toss wins.

Ride Safe, Chop Safer

On my way into work today I saw a truck and on the side was painted "Mobile Motorcycle Repair" "We come to you"

I can't for the life of me, remember the name of the company. I though "How odd, I just saw this on BBO, I will have to remember the name and look it up when I get to work."

Yeah, not so much.
    Keith

'11 Triumph Sprint GT - Blue (The fastest color)
    '05 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 - Blue (The fastest color)

Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
    It feeds my love of machinery to be that close with my whole body.

1-888-BIKETOW for SoCal.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

Senior Moderator We've stopped counting... subvetSSN606's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    It's funny this thread just came up... Just yesterday I had Motorcycle Mobile Tire Repair come out and replace my two tires for me. I took note of what they did so I could emulate it in the future, but the convenience factor was worth the cost. They charged me $120 to replace both tires...and they were done in about 90 minutes, and that included training a new guy. I also told them ahead of time that I use the Ride On additive and had the hose ready to wash the rims.

They were pretty courteous and while I paid 3X what I would have a local shop, I didnt: A) have to jack up my bike and take off my rims, B) drop them off at the shop for an undisclosed amount of time, and C) had it done literally hours after I called.

I called at about 10am, scheduled it for 2, and they were done at about 345. So, the 200ish I spent on my new pirellis, plus the 120 in install fees, I spent ~330 bucks installed on new tires. Other experiences: 2 years ago: $550 for tires and install (and that included my 15% discount) when bought locally, last year 370 when I bought tires online, and then had installed at a local dealer. So, the numbers don't lie. I spent less, and I didnt have to leave my house or transport tires. This particular service does other maintenance items, brakes, oil changes, etc. Not sure if they would be able to help on a 'dead on side of road' situation.

Hey Derick, You're in luck!!!
    This coming Saturday (6/14) is "tire amnesty day" in Indianapolis.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/h...re-amnesty-day

Tom
    In the end, regrets rarely come from things done, but from things not even tried.