Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: International rule change - No Stop Trials

I rode trials 45 years ago in Ireland. The no stopping rule was in effect back then. I got away from trials and didn't pay a lot of attention to trials for a long time. A round of the world championship was held in the late 80s near where I lived. I went to have a look and was amazed at the riders skills but almost fell asleep waiting for the riders to decide which way to go in a section. They would stand on the bike balancing (which I could never do) for five minutes discussing lines with their minder. I also noticed some sneaky riders who could "balance" with a bit of help from a rock against the skid plate.
    I'm all in favor of seeing the return of the no stopping rule. Sections will have to change, as will rider technique. Sections and techniques changed when they were allowed to stop. And as the bikes evolved so did the sections. For me it will make trials a lot more interesting.

Flirting With The Redline 3000 Posts! Galaxieman's Avatar
    Dumb non-trials guy observation: I realize 'an expert' may be able to tell a difference, but I don't see how the movements executed at 3:00-3:15 in the video don't comprise a 'stop'. Just sayin'.

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Hi Hoof Great post, is good to have you here.

Galaxie, myself and many of the amateur riders largely agree with your observation, and the rule has complicated the process of checker training significantly.
    The hope here is that consistency in the judges scoring will be practiced, and the checkers scoring will average out accordingly. Generally speaking if a checker is strict, or lax, with enforcing the no-stop rule scoring, they will be at least consistent with other riders attempting the same section.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Ninja Rebel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Hi Hoof Great post, is good to have you here.
    Galaxie, myself and many of the amateur riders largely agree with your observation, and the rule has complicated the process of checker training significantly.
    The hope here is that consistency in the judges scoring will be practiced, and the checkers scoring will average out accordingly. Generally speaking if a checker is strict, or lax, with enforcing the no-stop rule scoring, they will be at least consistent with other riders attempting the same section.
    Aye, but as Buggs said, the "stopping" made it spectacular for the non-scholars, me think ?
    Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    .....but sadly old bikes and old riders are in short supply....
    I can so relate to this...and I don't ride trials.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Yes, but just as Hoof said, during the 80's it became excessive to the point, rules eventually had to be introduced to no-stop, or to limit time in a section, and this was largely to keep the action moving for spectators.

Much of the problem was that in the 80's, riders were allowed to back-up.
    This meant in some situations competitors could take 2 or more runs at the same obstacle in the same section, and as long as they didn't crash or foot while backing up that was acceptable. Sections began to take as much as 7 minutes or more to complete, and lineups to ride the sections on each loop made it difficult for all competitors to complete the event within the allotted time.

The sport is presently evolving to have more spectator appeal and to increase participation, as interest in amateur Trials competition has been on the decline for many years now. One of my concerns is that new riders may be intimidated out of competition because of the rule change, thinking it will be too difficult. While in reality the section designs must also evolve into less technical sections to reasonably accommodate the rule change.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Ninja Rebel's Avatar
    Yes, but just as Hoof said, during the 80's it became excessive to the point, rules eventually had to be introduced to no-stop, or to limit time in a section, and this was largely to keep the action moving for spectators.
    The sport is presently evolving to have more spectator appeal and to increase participation, as interest in amateur Trials competition has been on the decline for many years now. One of my concerns is that new riders may be intimidated out of competition because of the rule change, thinking it will be too difficult. While in reality the section designs must also evolve into less technical sections to reasonably accommodate the rule change.
    Yes, and also Yes about so many motorsports that are getting eaten by all the XBox - PS4...games available, they are so real, that a lot of the younger don't bother to pay, and go see the real stuff !
    Too bad !

Trials : your mailbox has exceeded its quota bud, I wanted to send you a mssg? but was denied because of that
    Renaud - '97 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R/B4

"Good people hire people better than themselves. So A players hire A+ players. But others hire below their skills to make themselves look good. So B players hire C players. C players hire D players, etc."

"I do have a peripatetic and active intellectual curiosity" - Guy Kawasaki

… think I've got some mail space now :I

Just watched the FIM Trial in France on Sunday. It was ok, but repetitious with the same POT used in every section. I find it more interesting to observe a live trial than see it on "flattening" tv.
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.

RiderCoach 4000 Posts! AZridered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxieman View Post
    Dumb non-trials guy observation: I realize 'an expert' may be able to tell a difference, but I don't see how the movements executed at 3:00-3:15 in the video don't comprise a 'stop'. Just sayin'.
    After watching the segment several times, I believe that the difference may be that both wheels are not stopped at the same time. In the 'bad' example, the rider hops the bike on both wheels and lands both ends at the same time, a stop. In the 'good' example, as one wheel is landing the other one is lifted and swung. No stops?