Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First bike buyer here, need your input!

RiderCoach 5000 Posts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Shack View Post
    Also not entirely true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6HTs9x3xBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t-0-2ekA3U

And speaking of downed bikes...asphalt doesn't discriminate among fitness levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sxy Rdr View Post
    IMO, it's not worth gearing up and firing up a bike (or a car for that matter) to go 3 miles to work. You're better off walking or bicycling. Your vehicle will never get to proper operating temps. Tires never warm up.
    Potato, po-tah-to. My commute is about 4.5 miles each way, and taking the bike is TOTALLY worth it for the frame of mind I'm in when I get there. In addition, there's the ability to get myself into turn lanes that backed up traffic would normally block if I was in my car.

Dan... how to put this politely....

I think this is a BAD combination...

Yes, while the smaller Ninjas are better for a beginner in the sport bike community, for someone who has admitted that they are an aggressive driver... I would rather see you on a dual sport or a standard. A nice sedate dual sport or standard. Plus at your height (assuming you're proportionate), I think you'd be more comfortable on one of those types of bikes to start out on, practicing the basics from your BRC.
    +1 I can be aggressive in my car, and I dial it back on the bike. I'm not saying I don't take advantage of the bike's much smaller blind spot and the zippy ability to change lanes, but being car aggressive on a bike is just a bad idea. I ride for relaxation. Aggressive driving, for me, get's me amped up and stressed. Who needs that? That's the part that's not worth it. Why take the fun, relaxing bike to work if you're going to stress yourself out driving like every other "passhole"* out there?

* Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

Contributor We've stopped counting... Bugguts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    * Passhole -- Aggressive driver who stops at nothing just to get in front of you, saving him/herself a whopping 10 seconds.
    THAT is priceless!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebitsmall View Post
    64 is not old, we have one poster here at 110
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrash View Post
    A body not rattling was a body unsure.

Heh...Lindsey and I came up with that one a few years ago.
    '02 Shadow Spirit 750 - The R-Honda TRADED IN
    '07 BMW F800 ST - Eyegor TRADED IN
    '17 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT - Phantom

"I own a Goldwing...when I get cold, I just turn on the autopilot and go downstairs and sit in front of the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. The bike beeps to let me know when we're starting our final approach." -- shonuff

RiderCoach 5000 Posts!
    The only time I've fired up the bike to go only a few miles was when I needed to warm up the oil for an oil change... and even that was just to the pavement and back.

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IMO, it's not worth gearing up and firing up a bike (or a car for that matter) to go 3 miles to work. You're better off walking or bicycling. Your vehicle will never get to proper operating temps. Tires never warm up.
    Must be something wrong with your motorcycle. My last commute was just over 2 miles to work. Motorcycle always got up to proper temps on the 30 mile return trip.
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! AlwaysLearnin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lezbert View Post
    Love it. I'm adpopting it.

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! Shadow Shack's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That assumes you go straight home after work as well.

{EDIT} ALready covered...I need to start reading other posts before commenting
    Last edited by Shadow Shack; 03-26-2014 at 01:27 PM.
    Sent from your mom's phone
    "If I wanted a windshield and tunes, I'd drive my car."
    Ride Safe, Chop Safer
    "Unofficial Beginner Bike Chop Shop"
    "Motorcycles are not unsafe. However, they are extremely unforgiving of inattention, incompetence, ignorance, and stupidity."
    Support your FLIBS (Friendly Local Independent Bike Shop)
    http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11&dateline=117347893  4
    3500cc worth of Honda: http://shadow-shack.20m.com

RiderCoach 5000 Posts!
    It also assumes I have a bike that will fire up. Maybe this weekend I'll have a chance to start tearing into it.

Where did the OP go? Says he's "online..."

Did I overdo it (again?)
    Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.