Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding/Handling differences between in-line fours and twins?

Miles of smiles We've stopped counting... asp125's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Apples and orangutans, Larry.

There ya go, Steph.. just keep the revs below 2200
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    08 Spyder RS SM5 "big Bird" \ 12 S'TtripleR "stripper" \ 02 VFR800 "big red" \ 09 KLX250-S
    Sold: 97 Ninja 500R / 03 SV650N / 01 Ducati 750SS / 73 CB350-Four / 03 BMWF650GS / 08 Gixxer600 / 09 KLX250S "Gumby" / 06 Thruxton "crumpet" / 91 VFR750 /03 Gixxer6 the bass boat
    my Facebook, SpeedShotsPhotography
    MITGC #22

"I have seen fat kids on Segways go through corners faster."

Flirting With The Redline 10,000 Posts! mudarra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Apples and orangutans, Larry.

There ya go, Steph.. just keep the revs below 2200
    No kidding.

But it does address the bikes the OP was asking about.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Larry

Current Bike(s) - 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 'Guacamole', 04 Yamaha XT225
    Previous Bikes - 06 Yamaha FJR1300, 08 Kawasaki Versys, 05 Honda 919, 04 Kawasaki ZZR600, 04 Yamaha V-Star 650

Thanks, Larry. I'm at work and couldn't Google up the numbers so I was guesstimating.
    - Tom -

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Caesare Innocente

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Kootenanny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
    No kidding.

But it does address the bikes the OP was asking about.
    Yeah, but really...the question in the thread title ("Riding/Handling differences between in-line fours and twins?) has really little bearing on the subject of the original post. Yes, there are differences between the riding characteristics of I4s and twins, but the differences in displacement and tuning between the 650 twin and liter I4 referenced in the post are gonna create differences which completely overshadow any caused by engine architecture. The OP does address this in her post, but...well, you gotta kinda decide which question you're gonna respond to. Because yeah, as pointed out, comparing these two bikes is apples to orangutans...

RiderCoach 10,000 Posts! SoCal LabRat's Avatar
    Bottom line is Steph will need to find a demo day and ride one for herself. I personally loved it. I liked the weight of the 650 better, but didn't like the vibration. I liked the power delivery of the 1000 a lot, but doubt I'd end up using very much of it.
    ~Teri
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugguts View Post
    Hey, at my age running hot and loss of spark is a common problem.
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800
    2018 Triumph Street Triple R - Low
    2015 Ninja 300 (sold to a student rider, renamed Lloyd)

RiderCoach 8000 Posts! WoodstockJeff's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A lot of motorcycles act like a restrictor plate was removed when you hit 6K RPM. It isn't just I4 vs something else, although I've never experienced it on a single, the multi-cylinder motorcycles "get happy" up there.

The KZ-440 does a respectable job staying out of the way of other vehicles at lower RPM, but it just GOES when it hits 6K, due to the camshaft used. It wasn't as pronounced on the GL-1200, but it was there.

In the case of more modern bikes, between 6K and 7K, fuel mappings change, some change the length of the intake tract, others change the valve timing. I'm a habitual short-shifter (keeping RPM down), so I have to remember what's coming when the C14 tachometer winds past 6K....

I'm surprised no one discussed the handling differences between cross- and longitudinal-crank engine mounting... With everyone's friend, TORQUE LEAN!
    Jeff

"The future is so much easier to predict when you have a handle on how you arrived at now.... Works with traffic just as well as the rest of life. "

"Modern Liberalism: The embodiment of an irrational fear of letting other people run their own lives."

'13 XT250
    '10 ZG-1400 (operational again)

Flirting With The Redline 8000 Posts! Trials's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    I'm surprised no one discussed the handling differences between cross- and longitudinal-crank engine mounting... With everyone's friend, TORQUE LEAN!
    get with the times, they solved that one in 1985
    You reverse the rotation of the crank relative to the transmission and alternator.

Flirting With The Redline 2000 Posts! Kootenanny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockJeff View Post
    A lot of motorcycles act like a restrictor plate was removed when you hit 6K RPM. It isn't just I4 vs something else, although I've never experienced it on a single, the multi-cylinder motorcycles "get happy" up there.
    Not mine. It starts off pretty strong at the bottom end, then just keeps on getting stronger until it redlines at 7500. The torque curve is flat, and the power is linear. I've found I prefer this to bikes which have a big hit at a particular rpm...I get more enjoyment from carving around corners than from playing with the throttle. But that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I rode a Ducati 999 and a GSX-R1000 a few years back. The differences are amazing. The 999's torque and engine braking hits like a sledgehammer with the slightest twist of the throttle. The Gixxer-thou has a smoother power delivery, but when the powerband hits, it was like the hand of god giving you a shove in the back.
    Um. Yeah. (rethinking this whole thread now....)
    steph moore | New Mexico, USA
    2009 V-Strom 650 ABS (for now....)

Quote Originally Posted by mudarra View Post

According t0 sportrider, the ninja 1000 makes that much torque somewhere right around 2200 RPM.

So yeah, inline fours suck down low!!!!!!!

In reality, the ninja 1000 will make more torque right at roll out at than the ninja 650 does at its peak.
    All I can envision is me ending up as a horrible warning to others about playing around with bikes that one has no business riding. Wow.
    steph moore | New Mexico, USA
    2009 V-Strom 650 ABS (for now....)